Re: [perseus_SDR] System 7 32 or 64?

  • Guy Atkins
    Message 1 of 24 , May 31, 2010
      Hi Chris,

      Both 32 and 64 bit driver files for the UA-25EX on the Windows 7 platform are available on the Roland (Edirol) Web site if you search in the products section.

      73,

      Guy Atkins

      On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Chris Black <n1cp@...> wrote:
      Makes sense to me. Now I have to figure out how to install my Edirol
      UA-25EX, since the manual only talks about Vista and I don't know if I will
      need a new driver even for the 32 bit.

      Chris
      Cape Cod

    • Alf Årdal
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 20, 2010
        Hi all,

        Just bought a new laptop, which has Windows 7 - 64 bit installed.

        I downloaded 3.0b1, but it fails to start.....

        Is there any other files I need besides beta 1, and other things I have
        to take care of as well?

        73's

        Alf Årdal
      • maurits van driessche
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 20, 2010
          Alf do you install. the drivers

          Maurits

          Belgium
          Just bought a new laptop, which has Windows 7 - 64 bit installed.

          I downloaded 3.0b1, but it fails to start.....

          Is there any other files I need besides beta 1, and other things I have
          to take care of as well?

          73's

          Alf Årdal

          Geen virus gevonden in het binnenkomende-bericht.
          Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
          Versie: 9.0.829 / Virusdatabase: 271.1.1/2950 - datum van uitgifte: 06/19/10 19:50:00
        • Alf Årdal
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 20, 2010
            Thanks to all that reply to my question.

            Perseus is up and running in Win 7 now....

            73's Alf
          • Alf Årdal
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 20, 2010
              After have installed Perseus on Windows 7.....I still find XP Pro a
              better OS.....

              Perhaps there is someone out there, that have their new laptop with
              pre-installed Win7,
              and have switched to XP Pro again?

              My new laptop is a Acer Aspire 5741G.....anyone on the forum who has
              done this to their
              laptop...similar as mine?

              I would appreciate any suggestions!

              73's Alf
            • Chris Black
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 20, 2010
                My Acer 5100 series , a few years old now, came with Vista and I immediately
                had XP installed. It is running fine and I will leave it with XP, although
                my main PC is Windows 7.

                Thanks to the new Perseus architecture, I can now record at 2000 on the Acer
                without stuttering, which makes the laptop good for DXpeditions.

                Chris
                Cape Cod

                > After have installed Perseus on Windows 7.....I still find XP Pro a
                > better OS.....
                >
                > Perhaps there is someone out there, that have their new laptop with
                > pre-installed Win7,
                > and have switched to XP Pro again?
                >
                > My new laptop is a Acer Aspire 5741G.....anyone on the forum who has
                > done this to their
                > laptop...similar as mine?
                >
                > I would appreciate any suggestions!
                >
                > 73's Alf

              • Rein Faber
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 20, 2010
                  Op 20-6-2010 18:58, Alf Årdal schreef:

                  After have installed Perseus on Windows 7.....I still find XP Pro a
                  better OS.....

                  Perhaps there is someone out there, that have their new laptop with
                  pre-installed Win7,
                  and have switched to XP Pro again?

                  My new laptop is a Acer Aspire 5741G.....anyone on the forum who has
                  done this to their
                  laptop...similar as mine?

                  I would appreciate any suggestions!

                  73's Alf

                  My Acer Tavelmate 7730G also came with Vista and I immediately
                  had XP installed. Don't need anything else!

                  73s

                  Rein,
                  The Netherlands.

                • Alberto I2PHD
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 20, 2010
                    On 6/20/2010 11:15 PM, Rein Faber wrote:
                    My Acer Tavelmate 7730G also came with Vista and I immediately
                    had XP installed. Don't need anything else!
                    My experience is different... I bought second-hand an old IBM Thinkpad T41, to be used when I give presentations about SDR.
                    I bought it as it is very slim and very light in weight. It had XP preinstalled. It ran decently, though maybe a bit slow.
                    Then I decided to reformat the hard disk and to install Win 7 Enterprise, the 90-day trial distributed by Microsoft.
                    Well, the laptop seems to be rejuvenate... much faster, slick response, a joy to use. I won't ever go back to XP...

                    73  Alberto  I2PHD

                  • hmaier1959
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 21, 2010
                      Hi Alf,

                      if it is a new laptop, installing XP can be difficult. The first problem is that it most probably will have one of these new SATA hard drives. Win XP does not come with a driver for it, and it won't recognize your hard drive. It is possible to modify the XP installation CD and to integrate the required drivers. I have successfully done that, but the procedure is lenghty. There are instructions on the WWW though. After having solved this problem, you will most probably be able to install XP. But to take advantage of the new hardware, XP drivers for all hardware components have to be available. For example the chipset, the processor and the graphics adapter. If Acer doesn't supply XP drivers for your laptop anymore, it will either run okay, slowly, unreliably, or not at all. It is not predictable.
                      73, Horst

                      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Alf Årdal <aardal@...> wrote:

                      > After have installed Perseus on Windows 7.....I still find XP Pro a
                      > better OS.....
                      >
                      > Perhaps there is someone out there, that have their new laptop with
                      > pre-installed Win7,
                      > and have switched to XP Pro again?
                      >
                      > My new laptop is a Acer Aspire 5741G.....anyone on the forum who has
                      > done this to their
                      > laptop...similar as mine?
                      >
                      > I would appreciate any suggestions!
                      >
                      > 73's Alf

                    • Bill Nollman
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 21, 2010

                        This is getting a bit off topic but I couldn’t agree more with the point about the internal hard drive being SATA (not IDE) and that the XP CD doesn’t have a driver for SATA. If you’ve ever run into this it’s a major problem that could ruin your day ! I have an HP desktop and a Lenovo laptop. In both cases I was able to enter BIOS and change the hard drive setting from AHCI (SATA) to “Compatability” Mode. This will allow you to boot from the XP CD and locate your hard drive. After that good luck with loading all the other drivers ! By the way, I went back to Windows 7 on the desktop (laptop is for work so I can’t yet) and have actually taken a liking to it !

                        Bill

                        if it is a new laptop, installing XP can be difficult. The first problem is that it most probably will have one of these new SATA hard drives. Win XP does not come with a driver for it, and it won't recognize your hard drive. It is possible to modify the XP installation CD and to integrate the required drivers. I have successfully done that, but the procedure is lenghty. There are instructions on the WWW though. After having solved this problem, you will most probably be able to install XP. But to take advantage of the new hardware, XP drivers for all hardware components have to be available. For example the chipset, the processor and the graphics adapter. If Acer doesn't supply XP drivers for your laptop anymore, it will either run okay, slowly, unreliably, or not at all. It is not predictable.
                        73, Horst

                        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Alf Årdal <aardal@...> wrote:

                        > After have installed Perseus on Windows 7.....I still find XP Pro a
                        > better OS.....
                        >
                        > Perhaps there is someone out there, that have their new laptop with
                        > pre-installed Win7,
                        > and have switched to XP Pro again?
                        >
                        > My new laptop is a Acer Aspire 5741G.....anyone on the forum who has
                        > done this to their
                        > laptop...similar as mine?
                        >
                        > I would appreciate any suggestions!
                        >
                        > 73's Alf

                      • Chris Black
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 22, 2010
                          When I converted my Acer to XP (actually my computer guy did it but he didn’t indicate much problem), I got a little gizmo about the size of a credit card that went into the slot on the left side of the laptop and the eSATA cable plugs into it. Works great. I was just out at the beach the other night and recorded a couple hours at 2000 to the external eSATA drive with no problem.

                          Chris
                          Cape Cod

                          Sent: Monday, June 21, 2010 8:50 PM

                          This is getting a bit off topic but I couldn’t agree more with the point about the internal hard drive being SATA (not IDE) and that the XP CD doesn’t have a driver for SATA. If you’ve ever run into this it’s a major problem that could ruin your day ! I have an HP desktop and a Lenovo laptop. In both cases I was able to enter BIOS and change the hard drive setting from AHCI (SATA) to “Compatability” Mode. This will allow you to boot from the XP CD and locate your hard drive. After that good luck with loading all the other drivers ! By the way, I went back to Windows 7 on the desktop (laptop is for work so I can’t yet) and have actually taken a liking to it !

                          Bill

                          if it is a new laptop, installing XP can be difficult. The first problem is that it most probably will have one of these new SATA hard drives. Win XP does not come with a driver for it, and it won't recognize your hard drive. It is possible to modify the XP installation CD and to integrate the required drivers. I have successfully done that, but the procedure is lenghty. There are instructions on the WWW though. After having solved this problem, you will most probably be able to install XP. But to take advantage of the new hardware, XP drivers for all hardware components have to be available. For example the chipset, the processor and the graphics adapter. If Acer doesn't supply XP drivers for your laptop anymore, it will either run okay, slowly, unreliably, or not at all. It is not predictable.
                          73, Horst

                          --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Alf Årdal <aardal@...> wrote:

                          > After have installed Perseus on
                          Windows 7.....I still find XP Pro a
                          > better OS.....

                          Perhaps there is someone out there, that have their new laptop with

                          pre-installed Win7,
                          > and have switched to XP Pro again?

                          My new laptop is a Acer Aspire 5741G.....anyone on the forum who has

                          done this to their
                          > laptop...similar as mine?
                          >
                          > I would
                          appreciate any suggestions!

                          > 73's
                          Alf

                        • Alf Årdal
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 22, 2010
                            Thanks to all that replied to my question on installling Perseus/changing OS on laptop.

                            73's Alf

                            Sent: Monday, June 21, 2010 8:50 PM

                            This is getting a bit off topic but I couldn’t agree more with the point about the internal hard drive being SATA (not IDE) and that the XP CD doesn’t have a driver for SATA. If you’ve ever run into this it’s a major problem that could ruin your day ! I have an HP desktop and a Lenovo laptop. In both cases I was able to enter BIOS and change the hard drive setting from AHCI (SATA) to “Compatability” Mode. This will allow you to boot from the XP CD and locate your hard drive. After that good luck with loading all the other drivers ! By the way, I went back to Windows 7 on the desktop (laptop is for work so I can’t yet) and have actually taken a liking to it !

                            Bill

                            if it is a new laptop, installing XP can be difficult. The first problem is that it most probably will have one of these new SATA hard drives. Win XP does not come with a driver for it, and it won't recognize your hard drive. It is possible to modify the XP installation CD and to integrate the required drivers. I have successfully done that, but the procedure is lenghty. There are instructions on the WWW though. After having solved this problem, you will most probably be able to install XP. But to take advantage of the new hardware, XP drivers for all hardware components have to be available. For example the chipset, the processor and the graphics adapter. If Acer doesn't supply XP drivers for your laptop anymore, it will either run okay, slowly, unreliably, or not at all. It is not predictable.
                            73, Horst

                            --- In perseus_SDR@ yahoogroups. com, Alf Årdal <aardal@...> wrote:

                            > After have installed Perseus on Windows 7.....I still find XP Pro a
                            > better OS.....
                            >
                            > Perhaps there is someone out there, that have their new laptop with
                            > pre-installed Win7,
                            > and have switched to XP Pro again?
                            >
                            > My new laptop is a Acer Aspire 5741G.....anyone on the forum who has
                            > done this to their
                            > laptop...similar as mine?
                            >
                            > I would appreciate any suggestions!
                            >
                            > 73's Alf

                          • Mark Durenberger
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 22, 2010
                              Chris, did you have to provide external power for the SATA drive?  Or was it powered through the adapter?

                              Regards,

                              Mark Durenberger

                              Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:59 AM

                              Sent: Monday, June 21, 2010 8:50 PM

                              This is getting a bit off topic but I couldn’t agree more with the point about the internal hard drive being SATA (not IDE) and that the XP CD doesn’t have a driver for SATA. If you’ve ever run into this it’s a major problem that could ruin your day ! I have an HP desktop and a Lenovo laptop. In both cases I was able to enter BIOS and change the hard drive setting from AHCI (SATA) to “Compatability” Mode. This will allow you to boot from the XP CD and locate your hard drive. After that good luck with loading all the other drivers ! By the way, I went back to Windows 7 on the desktop (laptop is for work so I can’t yet) and have actually taken a liking to it !

                              Bill

                              if it is a new laptop, installing XP can be difficult. The first problem is that it most probably will have one of these new SATA hard drives. Win XP does not come with a driver for it, and it won't recognize your hard drive. It is possible to modify the XP installation CD and to integrate the required drivers. I have successfully done that, but the procedure is lenghty. There are instructions on the WWW though. After having solved this problem, you will most probably be able to install XP. But to take advantage of the new hardware, XP drivers for all hardware components have to be available. For example the chipset, the processor and the graphics adapter. If Acer doesn't supply XP drivers for your laptop anymore, it will either run okay, slowly, unreliably, or not at all. It is not predictable.
                              73, Horst

                              --- In perseus_SDR@ yahoogroups. com, Alf Årdal <aardal@...> wrote:

                              > After have installed Perseus
                              on Windows 7.....I still find XP Pro a
                              > better OS.....

                              Perhaps there is someone out there, that have their new laptop with

                              pre-installed Win7,
                              > and have switched to XP Pro again?

                              My new laptop is a Acer Aspire 5741G.....anyone on the forum who has

                              done this to their
                              > laptop...similar as mine?
                              >
                              > I would
                              appreciate any suggestions!

                              > 73's Alf

                            • Chris Black
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 22, 2010
                                Mark,

                                My SATA drive is powered independently. I had a guy make me a gizmo to use with my deep cycle battery. It has two connections, one with 12 volts for the SATA and another with 5 volts for the Perseus, which gives me a nice portable setup for DXpeditions.

                                Chris
                                Cape cod

                                Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 9:23 AM

                                Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:59 AM

                                Sent: Monday, June 21, 2010 8:50 PM

                                This is getting a bit off topic but I couldn’t agree more with the point about the internal hard drive being SATA (not IDE) and that the XP CD doesn’t have a driver for SATA. If you’ve ever run into this it’s a major problem that could ruin your day ! I have an HP desktop and a Lenovo laptop. In both cases I was able to enter BIOS and change the hard drive setting from AHCI (SATA) to “Compatability” Mode. This will allow you to boot from the XP CD and locate your hard drive. After that good luck with loading all the other drivers ! By the way, I went back to Windows 7 on the desktop (laptop is for work so I can’t yet) and have actually taken a liking to it !

                                Bill

                                if it is a new laptop, installing XP can be difficult. The first problem is that it most probably will have one of these new SATA hard drives. Win XP does not come with a driver for it, and it won't recognize your hard drive. It is possible to modify the XP installation CD and to integrate the required drivers. I have successfully done that, but the procedure is lenghty. There are instructions on the WWW though. After having solved this problem, you will most probably be able to install XP. But to take advantage of the new hardware, XP drivers for all hardware components have to be available. For example the chipset, the processor and the graphics adapter. If Acer doesn't supply XP drivers for your laptop anymore, it will either run okay, slowly, unreliably, or not at all. It is not predictable.
                                73, Horst

                                --- In perseus_SDR@ yahoogroups. com, Alf Årdal <aardal@...> wrote:

                                > After have installed Perseus
                                on Windows 7.....I still find XP Pro a
                                > better OS.....

                                Perhaps there is someone out there, that have their new laptop with

                                pre-installed Win7,
                                > and have switched to XP Pro again?

                                My new laptop is a Acer Aspire 5741G.....anyone on the forum who has

                                done this to their
                                > laptop...similar as mine?
                                >
                                > I would
                                appreciate any suggestions!

                                > 73's Alf

                              • Mark Durenberger
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 22, 2010
                                  FYI, Iomega makes a couple of drives of sufficient capacity for lots of Perseus storage.  They're data-tied and powered through the USB, so no external supply is needed.  And they're wallet-size...terrific for mobile apps.

                                  Regards,

                                  Mark Durenberger

                                  Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 9:23 AM

                                  Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:59 AM