21979RE: [perseus_SDR] Waterfall Crispiness...
- Feb 19, 2014
There are many factors which can influence the waterfall, for example:
· Careful use of a colour palette
· Using the highest possible quality in the FFT software, indeed using good FFT algorithms in general
· Windowing function used in the FFT (this is very important)
· FFT overlaps – more overlap, lower resolution bandwidth (lower RBW is a *good* thing)
· Programmer quality – age, alcohol intake etc.
Simon Brown (G4ELI/HB9DRV)
From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Lasse Moell
Sent: 19 February 2014 22:53
Subject: [perseus_SDR] Waterfall Crispiness...
Was discussing SDR with a collegue today, and he was not impressed with his SDR running HDSDR, but the Perseus was really meeting his expectations, using native s/w.
I tried to understand what he was referring to, and did som own testing this evening, and I must admit that the Perseus waterfall display do have much better "sharpness" or crispiness vs. HDSDR. I assume this boils down to the fact that Perseus is not resizable and thus there is no mismatch between the FFT bins and pixels on the screen, furthermore I find traces sees to have less time constant and one do see more variations of the signal in Perseus s/w.
Has anyone else noticed these differencies?
Even if this is the Perseus group I just have to ask if some users see other s/w offer similar crispiness to the waterfall as the native Perseus but have resize option? (SDR-Radio, Elad or Studio1 maybe??)
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>