21037RE: Re: [perseus_SDR] Laptop Induced Noise

  • bds2psu
    Sep 4, 2013

      My Asus laptop had a very noisy switching supply. I bought a few snap-on RF chokes from RadioShack like http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103979 and wrapped them around both the high- and the low-voltage cords on the supply, and that eliminated virtually all of the emitted noise. I used the same chokes on the USB cable for extra noise reduction.

      Brett Saylor

      N3EVB

      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, <perseus_sdr@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Anthony,

      my experience is that in most cases the noise is coming from the switching power supply. You can easily check yourself with Perseus using a coax cable with a little wire loop at the end (diameter appr. 10 cm ) and putting it close the suspect devices using the
      HFSpan software. I found this the best way to finding a quite AC adapter.

      BR

      Werner

      Am Dienstag, 3. September 2013 schrieb Anthony R Gargano :
      Bought a new Perseus and didn't want to clutter up my Macs with Windows. I was given an HP laptop that's about 5 years old with a Core 2 2GHz CPU, a dead battery (only works when connected to AC) and 2 dead LCD display lines. I wanted to use it just to check out the Perseus before I pick up a Windows laptop or possibly a Surface Pro.

      The new Perseus itself works fine but this HP laptop is a real noise generator. I isolated the noise to the HP using a portable receiver. The noise disappears upon disconnecting the HP's power cable. Since the battery is dead I can't tell if the noise is coming from the laptop itself or the AC adapter which is bound to be some sort of switching supply.

      Now for my question to those of you using your Perseus with a Windows laptop or tablet: are there known models to stay away from because of noise problems? Conversely, what noise free laptop or tablet are you using that you are happy with?
      Thanks for any comments or help,
      Tony

      Anthony R Gargano
      n2ss@...