20569Re: USB3 and Back Compatibility

  • tregicom
    Jun 3, 2013
      I am not likely to run this test since all of my devices are USB 2.0 but you bring up a good point.

      My goal was to get the Perseus I am using up on my new PC's. I checked this group for info and it seemed many others were having the same problem and there were no published solutions. I found one and published my findings. As with anything of this type it is up to the individuals as to how they proceed.

      Since there are many USB 2.0 devices that are not working when connected to USB 3.0 ports I will leave my bios settings as they are now until a new bios update is available that also solves the problem. Assuming that even happens.

      73,
      Ken N0QO

      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "alx_mtc" <alessio.miani@...> wrote:

      > Disabling XHCI simply disables the USB3.0 support.
      > You will get only USB2.0 ports.
      > You can probably check this with a high speed USB3 hard drive, comparing the transfer speed.
      >
      > Alessio
      >

      > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, ken-long@ wrote:
      > >
      > > I have been able to get USB 3 to work with the Perseus on a couple of Win 8 Asus laptops by changing a bios setting.
      > > One of these machines only has USB 3 ports.
      > >

      > > Before I did this only HF Span would work correctly. After the change the 4.0c worked properly. I do not know what bios
      > > settings others will have available but I would suggest some experimentation in the USB bios settings if you do not have the
      > > same settings available to you as on my machines. How you access the bios is machine and sometimes operating system specific
      > > so if you do not know how to do this already you will have to do some research. For most Win 8 machines you can get to the
      > > bios through advanced start-up. Google how to access the bios for your machine should get you all the info you need.
      > >

      > > When you get to the USB configuration in the Bios change XHCI Pre-Boot Mode from Auto to Disabled. Save the change and exit the bios utility.
      > > This was all I did to get the Perseus up and going with 4.0C on USB 3.0.
      > >

      > > I hope this helps.
      > >

      > > Ken, N0QO

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic