      Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2012 10:59 AM
      Subject: Re: [perseus_SDR] Realistic noise levels

      Hello Mark,

      The only thing that counts is the signal to noise ratio.
      Look e.g. at the same antenna used at home or at a field location.
      It had a 9 dB higher noise floor in the field, however still weak signal
      work was better due to a better signal to noise ratio.

      Working for the lowest possible noise floor with the same antenna is the
      way to go.
      This is a tricky game and I use stations within close range for testing.
      The noise will often vary over the band and this should be taken into
      account as well.

      However, the PERSEUS is a very nice tool to evaluate your noise situation.
      For a wide band view, HF-Span is very nice indeed.
      And very educational!

      Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic