      Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2012 9:43 AM
      Subject: Re: [perseus_SDR] Realistic noise levels

      Hello Mark,

      the noise floor of my Perseus at 6 kHz bandwidth is around -118dBm. If your antenna adds another 6 dB than you are making full use of your receiver sensitivity and the signal to noise ratio will be fully dependant on your antenna and the local noise situation. Most local noise is not broadband, so you can see it in the spectrum and measure it and look for a quite location. The rest, to my experience, is just antenna length or antenna area, height and diagram. For MW beverages or big loops should give best results.

      73,

      Werner
      2012/7/1 Mark D Mobile <Mark4@...>

      Hello to all. I’ve been using my Perseus with various verticals; 30-foot
      and 50-foot. I've been careful to find quiet locations.

      Reviewing the recordings, I’m seeing MW noise floors (around 1750 kHz) that
      average about –112 dbm at 6.04 kHz bandwidth.

      C/N for even the weak stations is 20db or better.

      I’m wondering if this is considered good noise performance? What's your
      experience?

      Mark Durenberger
      On the Road

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic