15218Re: [perseus_SDR] Re: AOR7030 vs Perseus on You Tube

  • Alex Crow
    Jul 1, 2011
      I think it's probably down to the antennas and/or the input level to the RX. The chap that made the video made no indication of the settings on the AOR, so this is a just a guess - it may be of course that the splitter is dodgy or other factors are at play in the video.

      With a direct sampling RX you want as much signal going into the A/D as possible without clipping.

      A preamp (with preselection before it to limit intermod in the amp) or a "louder" antenna would probably put the Perseus back on top.

      I have a Wellbrook ALA1530S+, and I think with the Perseus it could do with another 6db gain once past as low as 7MHz or so, and 12db above 15MHz. With a longwire and a 1:6 or 1:9 balun sensitivity is higher but the longwire is *much* worse for local interference.

      I do wonder if the ALA330S with more gain on SW and less on MW and below would be better for higher SW freqs.

      It would be nice if the preamp on the Perseus was bypassable (without voiding warranty) with connections on the case so you could insert your own preamp after the preselection filters.

      On 01/07/11 16:06, DirkCL wrote:

      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "iv3nwv" <nicopal@...> wrote:

      > Don't you find quite singular that your software is measuring in the
      > same bandwidth the power which is measured in the movie where it is > supposed that an antenna is connected to the receiver?
      > An efficient antenna should exhibit tens dBs of noise excess at that frequency. Why it doesn't? Is it a short one? Has any attenuator
      > placed between it and the receiver, was this due to a badly
      > isolated > or faulty antenna splitter either he took the movie just > during an exceptional day in which our galaxy didn't emit the noise we expect to receive from?

      Indeed very mysterious, Nico...

      As measured here with the settings as described by you:

      No antenna : -115 dBm
      PaoRDT miniwhip at 5m : -100 dBm
      Long Wire 25m at 10m : -90 dBm

      73 - Dirk