Re: Perry Rhodan a new start ...

  • Kent G. Hare
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 4, 2011
      Yeah the parallel to Marvel's Ultimate line is more appropriate. Especially since it sound like the old Perryverse will continue. I'm mainly a DC fan though so my thoughts didn't go that direction. - Kent

      Sent from my iPad
    • John
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 4, 2011
        So this will be "Ultimates" Perry? Will they make Bell black? Pucky have large carnivorous teeth and a living Symbiont spacesuit? Perhaps there will be a spinoff, "Reg Bully: Agent of T.E.R.R.A. :)

        I was there for all of the comics retcons too...some were better than others. Having Superboy punch the timeline (thereby covering all continuity goofs) was hilarious.

        As for the history of the Rho-series, I see nothing that needs to be changed....but there is money to be made, so why not.

        --- In perryrhodan2@yahoogroups.com, "Kent G. Hare" <kgh111861@...> wrote:

        > Yeah the parallel to Marvel's Ultimate line is more appropriate. Especially since it sound like the old Perryverse will continue. I'm mainly a DC fan though so my thoughts didn't go that direction. - Kent
        >
        > Sent from my iPad

      • Kevin
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 4, 2011
          For my 2 cents worth, and from one who loathed JJ Abrams' STAR TREK reboot, I think it's a bad idea. Do new readers really care about reading all the thousands of back issues or just a summary of the basic backstory? Do they have to be spoon fed new takes because the Perryverse didn't have personal computers and internet in the 20th century? (It has already been told in Atlan Time Adventure #13: THE LAST MASKS that the Perryverse is an alternate timeline from ours. You could explain that in his universe the discovery of the Arkonides and advances in space travel and super weaponry - plus the constant need to defend Earth from invasion or destruction - sidetracked cybertechnology for a few decades.) The original PRs are classics. You don't update Sherlock Holmes from hansom cabs to cars (well, there's a British tv series that does; it's good but it isn't meant to replace canon. With things like DC's upcoming cancellation and restarting their entire line, and the way this PR change sounds, anybody coming in new will have this as official canon. The blurb that started this said nothing about alternate timelines so I'm afraid we've got to take it that whatever they do with PR history now is going to be "the way it always has been." Unfortunately in most cases in comics at least the changes are for the worse (like Superman now wearing armor). I hate to see PR's record for a solid 50 years of continuity go out the window.

          Besides, it's a sliding slope once you start this. DC's original CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS was supposed to clear up their timelines once and for all, but now DC's and Marvel's universes seem to get "changed forever" every Summer.

          kevin

          --- In perryrhodan2@yahoogroups.com, "John" <rhodanenglish@...> wrote:

          > So this will be "Ultimates" Perry? Will they make Bell black? Pucky have large carnivorous teeth and a living Symbiont spacesuit? Perhaps there will be a spinoff, "Reg Bully: Agent of T.E.R.R.A. :)
          >
          > I was there for all of the comics retcons too...some were better than others. Having Superboy punch the timeline (thereby covering all continuity goofs) was hilarious.
          >
          > As for the history of the Rho-series, I see nothing that needs to be changed....but there is money to be made, so why not.
          >
          > --- In perryrhodan2@yahoogroups.com, "Kent G. Hare" <kgh111861@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Yeah the parallel to Marvel's Ultimate line is more appropriate. Especially since it sound like the old Perryverse will continue. I'm mainly a DC fan though so my thoughts didn't go that direction. - Kent
          > >
          > > Sent from my iPad

        • radish1957
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 28, 2011
            --- In perryrhodan2@yahoogroups.com, Kent Hare <kgh111861@...> wrote:

            > That sounds interesting.  I understand John's reaction, but I respectfully disagree.  I think it could be a good thing, and just maybecould jumpstart an English language version (although from what I gather from the various things that have been posted on the thread about the demise of the previous English version there are plenty of impediments).  I guess I come to it from very much a comic book fan's sentiment, where such "reboots" of beloved series to update them for a modern audience have become virtually a generational (or oftener) phenomenon.  Heck, this looks to be starting in September, ironically enough the same month the massive reboot/relaunch/whatever is changing the DC Comics universe fairly radically.  (DC doesn't want to call it a "reboot," leading to some usage of the term "notaboot.")  Another parallel might be what happened with Star Trek a couple years ago - in that case a reboot that actually ties into the previous
            > continuity.
            > I look forward to seeing what develops.
            > - Kent

            I think it could be a way to bring it to the English speaking world. It would be updated and science fiction is more universal now. I for one think its a good thing.