Days of Yore

  • ronaldenos
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2008
      If you live in Pennsylvania or Ohio or some other Northern states, you
      are enjoying snow. The perfect weather is 32 for a high and 22 for a
      low. That's the Pittsburgh temperatures for today. Tomorrow, more
      snow with a high of 26 and a shivering low of 14. A rebound for
      Monday, Sunshine and a high of 30.

      I always liked the first snowfall of the season and the snow was great
      for the holidays. We went to Laurel Mall (when it had stores) and
      the Uniontown Mall and to Greensburg. It didn't matter how the
      weather was treating us, it was Christmas and we were on a mission.

      We froze to death trying to put up Christmas lights, and swore we were
      going to leave them up from year to year. (Some people did just that)

      Went to our regular place to get a live Christmas tree. Got some new
      decorations that added to the decorations that we had accumulated over
      the years. Made the house look Christmassy and we were ready for Santa.

      I was thinking about my mother's decorations. Really didn't add any
      new things. She had a mirror under the tree with the skating figures.
      A church that played most of Silent Night. Some Santa Claus figures.
      I actually have some of those that I kept. The gifts were just a
      few. Far from the amount of gifts for a kid these days. My dad would
      be out in the cold shoveling the snow from the walks that led to the
      mail box and the outhouse. Mother would be making pumpkin pies and a
      dessert that I have never tasted since childhood.

      It was Christmas in Hulltown and Lower Tyrone Township.

      We didn't know how good or bad we had it, but it was a fun time of the
      year.

      We couldn't wait to get out of school and hated to return to the cold
      bus stop and bumpy bus ride in January. But winter would last only a
      couple of more months and there would be signs of spring in March.
      Summer wasn't far away.

      I will be leaving Jacksonville for my daughter's place in Huntingtown,
      MD. Enjoy the grandkids and have Christmas in the North.

      Here in the South, they will just have to sweat putting up the outside
      lights.

      Merry Christmas.

      Ron

      PS: The Pioneer days pictures have arrived