Drive In Movies - Still Around

  • ronaldenos
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2008
      Not 1, Not 2, but 3. Three What?

      Three Drive In Movies. Hey I thought they went out with the 50's.
      Well they sort of went out, but they came back.

      The nearest Drive In is in Brownsville. It closed for a time, but
      reopened and now has two screens. The next is the Comet Drive In on
      119 just South of Connellsville. They also have 2 screens. (And a
      Flea Market every Sunday). Then there is one that I don't think ever
      closed. It is in Mt. Pleasant near the Holiday Inn Express where some
      of us stayed during the reunion. They have 3 screens.

      All of those Drive Ins are very popular and have first-run moves every
      night at dusk. (of course) They still have the Concession stands and
      great Hot Dogs and Fries.

      They no longer have the speakers that you put on the window, but you
      tune your radio to an FM station. I believe that's the way it is.
      Not sure what you would do if you didn't have an FM radio; but most
      people do.

      Drive Ins of the past ran year-round' and a heater was provided for
      your car in the winter time.

      There were other Drive Ins in the area, one near the Comet which is
      now a Junk Yard and the Starlite Drive In on Connellsville Street near
      Uniontown.

      We used to go to all of them as a kid and later as a Teenager and
      later as an adult. They were enjoyable because you were able to
      relax. What a great place for a date.

      I remember seeing Ma and Pa Kettle at the Evergreen Drive In in the
      late 40's. And if you'll remember, almost all of the movies could be
      viewed by every member of the family.

      Come to Southwestern PA and relive the days of the Drive In's.

      Ron