Re: A bit of history

  • Pam
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2 6:35 AM
      Hi Pat, and everyone else thinking of memories today.

      I remember those pretty boxes. Some teachers had these huge boxes decorated while others had small ones like a decorated shoe box with the slot. Remember the doilies we made with the pasted on red hearts? Do you remember who our third grade teacher at Star Junction was? I remember 5th grade and changing classes. Mrs. Lint, Miss Jenkins, Mr. Murphy, Mr. Bubnash(homeroom4th)and Mr. Carson who taught geography. But, who was downstairs for third has slipped my mind. I had a Miss Luckey, Miss Duff and Mrs. Thrasher in Whitsett. Remember the first time we ate in a cafeteria at school?

      Have a great day!

      Pam Simpson

      --- In perryopolis@yahoogroups.com, Pat Rolison <pat_rolison@...> wrote:

      > What fun! Glad I was one of the cards that brightened your day!
      >
      > Now here is what is so sad.  At my grandsons school they are only allowed to give a list of names with the first names on it "for Privacy".  Last year ,4th grade, they were allowed to hand out cards the last 1/2 hr.of school.  This year, 5th grade, the teacher said he would prefer no cards, but if you must, hand them out as you are leaving the room for the day.
      >
      > I'm not sure what grade" The Valentine Box" on the teachers desk stopped but it was fun.  Everyone put their cards in the box when they came to school.  At some point the teacher would open the box and call out the name on each card.  She would make a big deal out of the cards for "Teacher".  Sometimes friends from other grades would sneek a card into the box for you, or Grandmas, Aunts etc.  The room was always decorated & it felt like something very special.
      >
      > pat

    • David Illig
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2 10:11 AM
        Ah, yes, the red hearts pasted onto paper doilies, I had not scored very highly in cutting shapes out of paper in kindergarten. My product always looked like a liver on a doily.

        As for kids facing restrictions and protection that we did not get (or need), it's partly the fault of parents and partly the schools' fear of being sued. I wonder if kids are very much into valentines any more. In much of the country that will have been replaced by texting, I think.

        Another interesting thing about today's kids--they aren't obsessed with cars and driving the way we were. Most of us got our licenses as soon as we could. Today many kids don't bother until they're 18 or so, or even later if they're in college. My niece graduates from H.S. in May and will be going to college. I offered to give her my sports car as a graduation gift, but she said "Thanks, but I don't want a car."

        The older we get the wider the gap in understanding between us and the youngsters!

        Finally, Class of '62, there WILL be a reunion. I talked to Paul Farrow and the plan is for Sept. 7, he said. We'll be hearing from Paul at some point.

        David

        From David's iPad 3 מהאייד 3 של דוד

        *****

        > Pat Rolison <pat_rolison@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> What fun! Glad I was one of the cards that brightened your day!
        >> Now here is what is so sad. At my grandsons school they are only allowed to give a list of names with the first names on it "for Privacy". Last year ,4th grade, they were allowed to hand out cards the last 1/2 hr.of school. This year, 5th grade, the teacher said he would prefer no cards, but if you must, hand them out as you are leaving the room for the day.
        >> I'm not sure what grade" The Valentine Box" on the teachers desk stopped but it was fun. Everyone put their cards in the box when they came to school. At some point the teacher would open the box and call out the name on each card. She would make a big deal out of the cards for "Teacher". Sometimes friends from other grades would sneek a card into the box for you, or Grandmas, Aunts etc. The room was always decorated & it felt like something very special.
        >>
        >> pat

      • Kris
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2 6:31 PM
          How many of you can share stories about Mrs. Elizabeth Eichler? She is my Great Great Aunt, and I'd love to hear some stories about her as a teacher, as I became a teacher after her death.

          Kris Castellano (Piersol)

          On Apr 2, 2012, at 1:11 PM, David Illig <daffyddsant@...> wrote:

[...]

          From David's iPad 3 מהאייד 3 של דוד

          *****

          > Pat Rolison <pat_rolison@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> What fun! Glad I was one of the cards that brightened your day!
          >> Now here is what is so sad. At my grandsons school they are only allowed to give a list of names with the first names on it "for Privacy". Last year ,4th grade, they were allowed to hand out cards the last 1/2 hr.of school. This year, 5th grade, the teacher said he would prefer no cards, but if you must, hand them out as you are leaving the room for the day.
          >> I'm not sure what grade" The Valentine Box" on the teachers desk stopped but it was fun. Everyone put their cards in the box when they came to school. At some point the teacher would open the box and call out the name on each card. She would make a big deal out of the cards for "Teacher". Sometimes friends from other grades would sneek a card into the box for you, or Grandmas, Aunts etc. The room was always decorated & it felt like something very special.
          >>
          >> pat

        • Windows Live
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2 6:45 PM

            Kris...She was my Dad's 2nd cousin....My Grandmother and her mother were sisters....She was one of my favorites...I have some tales I will share....Oliver T. Bateman               otb4240@...
                                  336 Blue Spruce Lane
                                   Kalispell MT. 59901
            I used to stop and visit she and her sister for a long time...She was as well my 8th grade  Home room and Geography teacher...At your behest...The pleasure would be mine...Robert was also in my room and grade in school...Played football together....Give him my regards....

            CC: perryopolis@yahoogroups.com
            To: perryopolis@yahoogroups.com
            From: castellano23@...
            Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 21:31:48 -0400
            Subject: Re: [perryopolis] Re: A bit of history

[...]

            From David's iPad 3 מהאייד 3 של דוד

            *****

              From: castellano23@...
              Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 21:31:48 -0400

[...]

              From David's iPad 3 מהאייד 3 של דוד

              *****

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4 12:09 PM
                David,

                Did you ever receive the photo I sent to you of Miss Eichler and Miss Snyder togeher at school to put on Perryopolis.com? You never mentioned getting it.

                We have since moved and you know how you lose things when moving, but I will look for it as Kris would like to have that picture, I am sure.

                I am glad our class will have another reunion. A lot can happen in the next 5 years. Remember the field trip hike our class took with Mr. Bubnash up to Quaker church? I have a photo of all of us 4th graders.

                Our grandchildren do not care about driving, either. Remember the patience Mr. Newmeyer had teaching us to drive, and taking our driver's tests on the brick street in Connellsville?

                Pam S.

                --- In perryopolis@yahoogroups.com, David Illig <daffyddsant@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > >> Now here is what is so sad. At my grandsons school they are only allowed to give a list of names with the first names on it "for Privacy". Last year ,4th grade, they were allowed to hand out cards the last 1/2 hr.of school. This year, 5th grade, the teacher said he would prefer no cards, but if you must, hand them out as you are leaving the room for the day.
                > >> I'm not sure what grade" The Valentine Box" on the teachers desk stopped but it was fun. Everyone put their cards in the box when they came to school. At some point the teacher would open the box and call out the name on each card. She would make a big deal out of the cards for "Teacher". Sometimes friends from other grades would sneek a card into the box for you, or Grandmas, Aunts etc. The room was always decorated & it felt like something very special.

              • Pat Rolison
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 5 9:41 AM
                  Sept. 7th is a Friday ?  I'd like to come, but will depend on what is going on with my Mom & Brother.  Will be waiting to hear more news of the reunion.  So much has happened in our family after our Falbo Reunion!  So glad we had a reunion when we did, I encourage everyone to get to any reunion with friends old/new and with family.
                  pat