Re: Rakudo Star Learning Effort

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2010
      On Aug 1, 2010, at 5:46 AM, Thomas Krichel wrote:

      > James E Keenan writes
      >
      >> This group -- which will be distinct from Perl Seminar NY or New
      >> York Perlmongers
      >
      > Will further meetings be announced on ny@...? I can't
      > attend because I am in Siberia now, but would like to come to later
      > meetings to learn.

      I suspect that is one of the things we will decide next Saturday at
      d.b.a.

      As I said in my original post, this study effort will probably be
      independent of both perlsemny and ny.pm. So at some point it will
      establish its own mailing list and that list will be the only place
      where we *guarantee* that meeting announcements will be posted.
      Should we take that step, it will be announced on both perlsemny and
      ny.pm.

      (This is similar to how perlsemny operates. That group's mailing
      list is the place where its meeting announcements are officially
      posted. We cross-post on ny.pm when we have the time to do so. This
      is largely a function of the number of people who commit time and
      effort to *leading* the group as distinct from *participating* in the
      group. The more people who commit to sharing leadership
      responsibilities, the more energy we have for spreading word about
      the group.)

      Jim Keenan
    • Patrick Donelan
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2010
        Does anyone know if November (the wiki engine written in Perl 6) works in the current Rakudo Star release?

        Might be fun to spend one of the sessions getting November running as a website for the group.

        Patrick

        On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 9:44 AM, James E Keenan <jkeen@...> wrote:

        On Aug 1, 2010, at 5:46 AM, Thomas Krichel wrote:

        > James E Keenan writes
        >
        >> This group -- which will be distinct from Perl Seminar NY or New
        >> York Perlmongers
        >
        > Will further meetings be announced on ny@...? I can't
        > attend because I am in Siberia now, but would like to come to later
        > meetings to learn.

        I suspect that is one of the things we will decide next Saturday at
        d.b.a.

        As I said in my original post, this study effort will probably be
        independent of both perlsemny and ny.pm. So at some point it will
        establish its own mailing list and that list will be the only place
        where we *guarantee* that meeting announcements will be posted.
        Should we take that step, it will be announced on both perlsemny and
        ny.pm.

        (This is similar to how perlsemny operates. That group's mailing
        list is the place where its meeting announcements are officially
        posted. We cross-post on ny.pm when we have the time to do so. This
        is largely a function of the number of people who commit time and
        effort to *leading* the group as distinct from *participating* in the
        group. The more people who commit to sharing leadership
        responsibilities, the more energy we have for spreading word about
        the group.)

        Jim Keenan

      • jimkeenan
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
          --- In perlsemny@yahoogroups.com, James E Keenan <jkeen@...> wrote:

          > Now that a more user-friendly way of getting and using Perl 6 is
          > available, a number of us have begun to form a group to study Perl
          > 6. This group -- which will be distinct from Perl Seminar NY or New
          > York Perlmongers -- will have its first meeting here:
          >
          > Saturday, August 7, 1:30 - 3:30 pm
          > d.b.a.
          > 43 1st Ave (between East 2nd and 3rd Sts), Manhattan
          > F-train to Second Avenue; exit at First Avenue end of station

          You can get a draft of a book by the Rakudo team at github as well:

          http://github.com/perl6/book/downloads

          ... and I've posted a copy of the PDF here as well:

          http://thenceforward.net/perl/misc/UsingPerl6-draft.pdf

          Hope to see you on Saturday, 1:30 pm, at d.b.a.

          Jim Keenan
        • David Moreno
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2010
            That's pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing.

            On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 9:54 PM, jimkeenan <jkeen@...> wrote:

            --- In perlsemny@yahoogroups.com, James E Keenan <jkeen@...> wrote:

            > Now that a more user-friendly way of getting and using Perl 6 is
            > available, a number of us have begun to form a group to study Perl
            > 6. This group -- which will be distinct from Perl Seminar NY or New
            > York Perlmongers -- will have its first meeting here:
            >
            > Saturday, August 7, 1:30 - 3:30 pm
            > d.b.a.
            > 43 1st Ave (between East 2nd and 3rd Sts), Manhattan
            > F-train to Second Avenue; exit at First Avenue end of station

            You can get a draft of a book by the Rakudo team at github as well:

            http://github.com/perl6/book/downloads

            ... and I've posted a copy of the PDF here as well:

            http://thenceforward.net/perl/misc/UsingPerl6-draft.pdf

            Hope to see you on Saturday, 1:30 pm, at d.b.a.

            http://twitter.com/damogzito
            http://stereonaut.net/