Perl Seminar NY Meeting -- Tuesday November 18 at 6:15 pm

  • Alex Gill
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2008
      Our second meeting of the season is coming-up next Tuesday (less than
      seven days away) at the usual place and time. Here's what we have planned:

      "Perl 5 to Perl 6"
      First installment in a series (3-4 presentations) spread out over the
      entire 8-month season, on making the transition from Perl 5 to Perl 6.
      Series coordinated by Packy Anderson (main talk).

      "What is Lua and Why Should Perl Developers Care?" (by Mark Canlas)
      Lua, like Perl, is a high-level programming language. Like Perl 6,
      Python, TCL, etc., it is one of the languages being targeted for
      deployment on the Parrot virtual machine. So Perl programmers should
      learn about Lua so that we can learn how it might contribute to the
      solution of programming problems. We'll have a brief introduction to
      Lua, getting us to "Hello World" and describing some of Lua's major
      application areas. We'll then build Lua on Parrot and see if we can
      get to "Hello World" there as well (opening talk).

      Tuesday November 18th at 6:15-8:15 pm
      NYPC User Group office, suite 550
      481 8 Ave (Ramada New Yorker)
      Between West 34 and 35 Sts, Manhattan

      Till Tuesday, Alex Gill

      ps - The below link is to an interview with Lua creator, Roberto
      Ierusalimschy: http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1028768484