April 15 Perl Seminar NY: Parrot/Perl 6 Build Fest: Getting to "Hello, World"

  • Jim Keenan
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2008
      Bring in your laptop to our April meeting so that you can get started
      with Perl 6!

      At the meeting, you'll download the Parrot virtual machine either from
      the repository, the daily snapshot, or the monthly tarball release.
      We'll then coach you in configuring, building and testing Parrot on
      the OS of your choice. When we've done that, we'll guide you into
      building Rakudo, the Perl 6 implementation on Parrot. Once you've
      gotten to "Hello, World," you'll be able to start programming in Perl 6.

      You can run this exercise either on your laptop or on any remote OS to
      which you can connect via SSH.

      For this exercise, we recommend:
      (1) You have a working wireless card in your laptop.
      (2) If you want to work with the latest Parrot and Perl 6 code, have a
      Subversion or equivalent VCS client installed on your laptop so that
      you can access our repository.[1]

      For some of us, this build process will *just work*! Hurray! But if
      it doesn't, the warnings and error messages you get will be data that
      we'll use to open tickets in Parrot's bug-tracking system so that we
      can solve the problems you encounter.

      Tuesday, April 15, 6:15-8:15 pm
      NYPC User Group
      481 8th Avenue, Suite 550
      (Ramada New Yorker Hotel, btw West 34 & 35 Sts, Manhattan)

      (You can attend the meeting, then rush over to the main post office
      and drop off your tax returns!)

      Thank you very much.
      Jim Keenan

      [1] http://svn.perl.org/parrot/trunk/