Need some help

  • Mark Miller
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2001
      Perl Group,

      I'm throwing this message out to the group because I'm
      in a bind. The high speed connection I normally use
      for teaching online courses to corporations around the
      world is not available this week.

      Does anyone have a place where I can jack in with my
      laptop... local lan, RoadRunner, cable? I will be
      needing it from 11:30am to 4:00pm (4 1/2 hours),
      Tuesday through Friday this week.

      Any recommendations of locations available in NYC
      would be GREATLY appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Mark

      Find a job, post your resume.
      http://careers.yahoo.com
    • Carl Friedberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 12, 2001
        I suggest you get a cheap (around $80) 802.11b card and try your luck at
        Starbucks; I have never tried this myself, however, so I don't know what
        you can do with that. I guess you ought to drop by and check first to
        see which, if any, NYC Starbucks have wireless access...

        There is also the free NY net access; check the archives of the NY Linux
        users group, as there has been some traffic on this topic. I believe
        there are only 2 or 3 useful locations in Manhattan, so that probably
        won't help much easier. From a May 17th message:

        >I announced this at the NYLUG meeting last night, and will add a post
        to the
        >list for anyone who wasn't there and might be interested.
        >
        >http://www.nycwireless.net
        >
        >NYCWireless.Net is a non-profit group of independent volunteers working
        >provide free public internet access in New York City via 802.11b
        wireless
        >ethernet. We currently have two nodes active on the Upper East Side,
        and
        >are looking to expand.

        Good luck.

        Carl Friedberg
        carl@...

        I'm throwing this message out to the group because I'm
        in a bind. The high speed connection I normally use
        for teaching online courses to corporations around the
        world is not available this week.

        Does anyone have a place where I can jack in with my
        laptop... local lan, RoadRunner, cable? I will be
        needing it from 11:30am to 4:00pm (4 1/2 hours),
        Tuesday through Friday this week.

        Any recommendations of locations available in NYC
        would be GREATLY appreciated.

        Thanks,
        Mark

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Bruce Ingalls
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 12, 2001
          I work with an ISP in Queens, about 45 min from Manhattan, which has a
          corporate meeting room.
          I'd say that the section of Queens is not especially professional, but
          the room is.

          There are a bunch of net cafes & copy shops around Manhattan.
          You can sometimes rent the NYPC office, which is corporate enough in
          looks, location & equipment
          but still has a 56K dialup.

          Probably your best bet is the ISP I work with. Email me direct, or phone.

          Carl Friedberg wrote:

          >I suggest you get a cheap (around $80) 802.11b card and try your luck at
          >Starbucks; I have never tried this myself, however, so I don't know what
          >you can do with that. I guess you ought to drop by and check first to
          >see which, if any, NYC Starbucks have wireless access...
          >
          >There is also the free NY net access; check the archives of the NY Linux
          >users group, as there has been some traffic on this topic. I believe
          >there are only 2 or 3 useful locations in Manhattan, so that probably
          >won't help much easier. From a May 17th message:
          >
          >>I announced this at the NYLUG meeting last night, and will add a post
          >>
          >to the
          >
          >>list for anyone who wasn't there and might be interested.
          >>
          >>http://www.nycwireless.net
          >>
          >>NYCWireless.Net is a non-profit group of independent volunteers working

          >>provide free public internet access in New York City via 802.11b
          >>
          >wireless
          >
          >>ethernet. We currently have two nodes active on the Upper East Side,
          >>
          >and
          >
          >>are looking to expand.
          >>

          >Good luck.
          >
          >Carl Friedberg
          >carl@...

          NY Harbor 2001-9-11 facts & photos http://www.panix.com/~bingalls/
        • Mark Miller
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 12, 2001
            Bruce and Carl,

            Thanks for the notes. I found a place on E.23rd that
            got me setup for the week.

            Thanks for the help.
            Mark

            Find a job, post your resume.