Tuesday March 20 Meeting: Agenda; Plus Upcoming

  • James Keenan
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2007
      Perl Seminar NY meets as usual on the 3rd Tuesday of the month.

      Tuesday, March 20, 6:15-8:15 pm (EDT)
      NYPC User Group
      481 8th Ave (Ramada New Yorker Hotel)
      Suite 550
      between West 34 and 35 Streets
      Manhattan

      Opening talk: To be announced. (While we're working on one
      suggestion for a 20-30 minute talk, we haven't confirmed that yet, so
      we're open to suggestion.)

      Main talk: Jim Keenan, "Component-Focused Testing: The Case of the
      Parrot Build Tools"

      Abstract: Installation of an open-source software package such as
      Perl or a CPAN module generally follows a 4-step process: configure,
      build, test, install. Although 'make test' is usually thought of as
      the place where all the testing happens, the successful completion of
      each of the other stages implicitly constitutes the passing of a
      functional test. But does there exist a place for a type of test
      which is not included in the 'test' target but instead is run either
      before the 'configure' stage or between the 'configure' and 'build'
      stages?

      In this talk, I argue that there is a role for such tests and I
      describe how I have implemented a number of test suites, run post-
      configure but pre-build, for those of Parrot's build tools written in
      Perl 5. Such tests encourage provide more rapid feedback on the
      results of refactoring than 'make test' can. Indeed, they encourage
      Phalanx-style refactoring which makes the build tools more
      maintainable over the long run.

      *** Upcoming Meetings ***

      For our April 17 and May 15 sessions, we are developing presentations
      on Moose and on bioinformatics. But we welcome additional proposals,
      both shorter (20-30) and longer (40-50) length.