Call for Presentations: Perl Seminar NY Season 2

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 21, 2001
      The summer heat has broken. The possibility of autumn lingers in the air.
      And that means it time to consider the possibility of a second season for
      Perl Seminar New York.

      In 2000-01 we met on the 2nd Tuesday of each month from December thru May.
      If we adhered to that schedule (which we don't absolutely have to), our fall
      meetings would occur on Sept. 11, Oct. 9, Nov. 13 and Dec. 11. Rather than
      commit to organize meetings beginning on the first of those dates, I'd like
      to get an idea of what the support for a 2nd season looks like. To be more
      concrete: I'd like to be able to line up 4-6 presentations -- i.e., enough
      for 2 sessions -- before scheduling session #1. That way, we'll start with
      some momentum. We'll deal with the meeting location question once we know
      we've got demand for our workshops.

      If that sounds like a reasonable (or highly unreasonable) idea to you,
      please let me know at your earliest opportunity. Better still, if you'd
      like to do a presentation, give us a 3-sentence description of your topic.
      Remember, you don't have to be a world-class expert to present your work at
      PSNY (though such experts are always welcome, as well).

      What code have you written on your summer vacation?

      Jim Keenan
      Brooklyn, NY
      jkeen@...
    • Bruce Ingalls
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 21, 2001
        I could do a brief presentation on Perl Development using the Emacs editing
        environment.
        This would require being able to hook up my laptop to a projector, where all
        can see.

        James E Keenan wrote:

        > The summer heat has broken. The possibility of autumn lingers in the air.
        > And that means it time to consider the possibility of a second season for
        > Perl Seminar New York.
        >
        > In 2000-01 we met on the 2nd Tuesday of each month from December thru May.
        > If we adhered to that schedule (which we don't absolutely have to), our fall
        > meetings would occur on Sept. 11, Oct. 9, Nov. 13 and Dec. 11. Rather than
        > commit to organize meetings beginning on the first of those dates, I'd like
        > to get an idea of what the support for a 2nd season looks like. To be more
        > concrete: I'd like to be able to line up 4-6 presentations -- i.e., enough
        > for 2 sessions -- before scheduling session #1. That way, we'll start with
        > some momentum. We'll deal with the meeting location question once we know
        > we've got demand for our workshops.
        >
        > If that sounds like a reasonable (or highly unreasonable) idea to you,
        > please let me know at your earliest opportunity. Better still, if you'd
        > like to do a presentation, give us a 3-sentence description of your topic.
        > Remember, you don't have to be a world-class expert to present your work at
        > PSNY (though such experts are always welcome, as well).
        >
        > What code have you written on your summer vacation?
        >
        > Jim Keenan
        > Brooklyn, NY
        > jkeen@...

        EMacro remakes Emacs http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/emacro/
      • Mark Miller
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 22, 2001
          Hi Jim

          --- James E Keenan <jkeen@...> wrote:
          > If we adhered to that schedule (which we don't
          > absolutely have to), our fall
          > meetings would occur on Sept. 11, Oct. 9, Nov. 13
          > and Dec. 11.

          These dates work for me.

          > I'd like to be able to line up 4-6
          > presentations -- i.e., enough
          > for 2 sessions -- before scheduling session #1.

          I am out of town until September 10, so I won't be
          able to present at the first session, but October or
          November would be fine. Topic: using Perl modules to
          process XML data.

          Mark

          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
        • Bruce Ingalls
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 22, 2001
            It's fairly simple Perl, but I wrote a long (not much good for demos)

            program that improves LogRotate.pm, on CPAN.

            The original author was too busy, to look into adding my modifications,
            and posting them.

            About the only thing that is interesting is that the program does work,
            but I get a *strict* warning error, which I have to mask, and I'm not sure
            why.

            Since there is nothing unusual in the Perl, it probably would be a short
            presentation.
            --
            EMacro remakes Emacs http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/emacro/
          • J.E. Cripps
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 29, 2001
              > I could do a brief presentation on Perl Development using the Emacs editing
              > environment.
              > This would require being able to hook up my laptop to a projector, where all
              > can see.

              Not really, I'd be glad to listen and take notes. Really.