Collective Hacking Redux: Mentored Maintenance of CPAN Modules

  • James Keenan
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
      In my October 17 Perl Seminar NY presentation on "The Joys of
      Collective Hacking," I tossed out this idea for one such project for
      perlsemny's 2006-07 season:

      Mentored Maintenance of CPAN Modules

      I elaborated on this when I spoke at NY Linux Users Group (NYLUG) on
      October 25. Now it's time for a written description:

      "A project wherein some of our less-CPAN-experienced members and Perl
      devotees will be initiated into the ranks of CPAN module maintainers
      under the watchful eye of knowledgeable, experienced elders.

      "Initiation will take place at a wireless-equipped bar with a good
      selection of beer on tap. Grateful for the guidance provided by the
      elders, the initiates will pick up the tab for the first round."

      If we have 2-4 people other than myself who are interested in this
      project, we can begin making inquiries as to modules whose authors/
      current maintainers would like to share or transfer maintenance. (I
      have a few leads on this already.)

      So if you are interested in this please let me know, either by
      posting to the perlsemny list or by writing me off list at jkeen [at]
      verizon [dot] net.

      Thanks.
      jimk
    • Richard Noble
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
        I'm a infrequent visitor to the group, but I have just entered into
        talks with the author of Win32::Printer to take over his module. I'd
        like to offer it to the group if he allows....

        --
        NEW CONTACT INFORMATION BELOW

        Richard Noble
        IBK Software
        T: 646-827-4337
        F: 646-536-3180
        C: 917-642-9850
        rpnoble@...

        419 West 154 Street
        New York, NY 10032

        This e-mail is IBK Software confidential and may not be redistributed without permission of IBK Software.

      • Kamal Tejnani
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2006
          Hi,
          I am not in NY/USA currently, but am very keen to be initiated such ... the
          barrel of beer that i owe
          will be paid in full when i visit NY :)....

          thanks,
          Kamal.