April 18 Perl Seminar NY Meeting

  • James Keenan
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2006
      Our April Perl Seminar NY meeting will be at our regular location:

      Tuesday, April 14, 6:15-8:15 pm
      NYPC Users Group
      481 8 Ave (Ramada New Yorker Hotel building), btw West 34 & 35 Sts,
      Manhattan
      Room 550-51

      Presentations:
      1. "Perl-Based Bioinformatics Tools for Web Display" by Payan Canaran.
      Many Perl programmers are doing great work in the field of
      bioinformatics. This month, one of Lincoln Stein's colleagues at Cold
      Spring Harbor Labs, Payan Canaran, makes his Perl Seminar debut by
      presenting on Panzea (www.panzea.org), a project on the diversity of
      the maize genome. Payan will be presenting on the search and web tools
      enabled by Perl modules.

      2. "Two or Three Things I Learned While Maintaining CPAN Modules ..."
      by Jim Keenan.
      Or, more precisely, while taking over maintenance of
      ExtUtils::ModuleMaker last year from its original author, Geoff Avery.
      Jim will describe the types of decisions a module maintainer has to
      make when taking over an established CPAN distribution -- a phenomenon
      the Perl and open-source communities will face increasingly as their
      technologies mature. (And if *you* have taken over a CPAN module, come
      and share your experiences.)

      Note: After our April meeting we have only one monthly meeting left in
      the current season. The May meeting will focus on web applications,
      but if you have an idea for a shorter-length talk, please contact us.

      Thank you very much.