Wireless Hotspots

  • James Keenan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005
      If this were June and I wanted to get together with some other Perl
      hackers to spend some time on a weekend hacking on some code, I'd
      suggest we go to Bryant Park.

      June it is not.

      And since I have to suggest a location where our Phalanx crew can get
      together to hack on Text::Template, I welcome suggestions. Where can
      we go either evening or weekend where we can get free or low-cost
      wireless access in a comfortable environment for a 2-3 hour stretch?

      Jim Keenan
    • Tim Heckman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005
        On Jan 2, 2005, at 1:12 PM, James Keenan wrote:

        > And since I have to suggest a location where our Phalanx crew can get
        > together to hack on Text::Template, I welcome suggestions. Where can
        > we go either evening or weekend where we can get free or low-cost
        > wireless access in a comfortable environment for a 2-3 hour stretch?

        In the Village, I've had good luck with an nycwireless node at the
        Cafe Figaro, (Bleecker and MacDougal) on the MacDougal St. side
        of the cafe (free). On W. 4th, there's a new ice cream place called
        Mary's Dairy that has free wireless access. I know there's a free AP
        inside the Chelsea Market as well (and lots of little food places with
        tables), but I haven't used it recently.

        The XandO Cosi on 13th st. just below Union Square has $5 for 24 hours
        wireless access. Quality seems to vary depending on where you sit,
        though.
        Of course, there's Starbucks/T-Mobile, but you'd be wise to check that
        any given location has an AP, and that it is up, before you buy your
        coffee and settle in.

        hth,
        Tim

        I have come to the conclusion that my subjective account of
        my motivation is largely mythical on almost all occasions. I
        don't know why I do things.
        -- J.B.S. Haldane
      • David H. Adler
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005
          On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 01:12:20PM -0500, James Keenan wrote:

          > And since I have to suggest a location where our Phalanx crew can get
          > together to hack on Text::Template, I welcome suggestions. Where can
          > we go either evening or weekend where we can get free or low-cost
          > wireless access in a comfortable environment for a 2-3 hour stretch?

          If memory serves, d.b.a. has wireless.

          dha

          --
          David H. Adler - <dha@...> - http://www.panix.com/~dha/
          All right! So I'm the daughter of poison gas!
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
            On Jan 2, 2005, at 11:12 PM, David H. Adler wrote:

            > If memory serves, d.b.a. has wireless.
            >
            > dha

            Yes, I think they do. But for the purpose of a couple of hours of
            collective hacking, I'm hoping to find a place(s) where we can
            sequester ourselves in a corner, be able to speak with one another
            without shouting, etc. My impression is that in many hotspots in NYC,
            they're fine if you want to sit there by yourself and work silently --
            but we need to be able to converse while hacking and yet not be
            overwhelmed by other conversations. An example of what I'm hoping to
            find: When I was in New Orleans recently, the Perlmongers group there
            had use once a month of a separate room upstairs in a local
            (non-Starbucks) coffeehouse.

            Perhaps we could assemble a list of such places. I'd also welcome
            comments on people's experiences with Starbucks/T-Mobile.

            And speaking of New Orleans, there is a d.b.a. bar there on Frenchmen
            St which is a clone of the one on First Avenue, with one crucial
            difference: typically for New Orleans, it has live music.

            jimk
          • Steven Lembark
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
              > Perhaps we could assemble a list of such places. I'd also welcome

              Why the absolute need for wireless? We could grab some space
              in the office building I work at (55th & Lex) and slap a switch
              on the table.

              --
              Steven Lembark 85-09 90th Street
              Workhorse Computing Woodhaven, NY 11421