What Are Your Favorite CPAN Modules?

  • James Keenan
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7 4:58 PM
      Perl Seminaristas:

      This is not meant to sound like a newbie posting on
      comp.lang.perl.misc. It's a question whose responses will help us plan
      the upcoming season of Perl Seminar NY meetings.

      Our first meeting of the 2004-05 season will take place on Tuesday,
      October 19. That's six weeks away; we'll put out a formal call for the
      first meeting in a couple of weeks.

      In the meantime, let me fill you in on some developments. Following
      our strong showing at YAPC::NA::2004 in Buffalo, a number of us have
      been tossing around ideas as to how to make perlsemny a more
      stimulating and enjoyable experience for us all. We've been exploring
      the possibility of launching a couple of little projects which would
      run in parallel to our October-May series of meetings. These projects
      would be designed to (1) enable you to learn some Perl you didn't
      previously know; (2) encourage you our members to work in small group
      collaborations with one another; (3) make a contribution to Perl and
      the Perl community; and (4) give us some topics for presentations from
      time to time during the coming season.

      Let's make that a bit more concrete. Here are two project ideas we've
      been discussing:

      I) Perl 6 in Perl 5. As we all know, Perl 6 will be available by
      Christmas ... though not necessarily Christmas 2004. While the
      development of the Parrot interpreter is very advanced and lots of
      people are busy implementing vital programs like hq9+ in it, we don't
      yet have an alpha of the Perl 6 language to play with.
      But we do have a thorough discussion of the language in "Perl 6 and
      Parrot Essentials (2nd ed.)". And we have several modules, already
      available on CPAN, which enable people to start using Perl 6 syntax
      inside Perl 5.
      So our proposal for a little project for perlsemny: Get a bunch of
      people who are hot for Perl 6. Have them study and start using the
      Perl 6 CPAN modules. Have them report back at perlsemny meetings as to
      what they've learned. And (if we get interesting results), share them
      with the larger Perl community.

      II) Phalanx. At YAPC, Andy Lester of Chicago.pm spoke about Phalanx
      (http://qa.perl.org/phalanx), a project to provide more thorough
      testing of the most widely used CPAN modules and enable us to guarantee
      that when Perl 5 is outfitted to run on Parrot (the Ponie project), all
      the essential modules will test nice and pretty.
      As I write this tonight, Chicago.pm is holding a tech meeting to
      implement Phalanx testing of Sean Burke's HTML::Tree module
      (http://chicago.pm.org/meetings/). We'd like to get a bunch of NY Perl
      folks to work on this project as well.
      Which leads us back to the subject of this e-mail: What are your
      favorite CPAN modules? More specifically, which CPAN modules do you
      rely on most, particularly in production contexts, and want to make
      sure will run well in all future versions of Perl? (We're mostly
      looking for modules *not* in the Perl 5.8 core distribution, as they're
      going to be handled in a separate phase of the Phalanx project.) Once
      we identify such modules, we can volunteer to have perlsemny
      participate in the Phalanx project.

      So, thanks for reading this far. If you are interested in working on
      either of these two little projects (or have a similar little project
      to propose), please let us know. If you have CPAN modules whose
      testing you want to see made bullet-proof, let us know as well.

      You can respond either to the Perl Seminar NY list as a whole (now
      about 98 members). Or, you can respond more privately by writing me
      and cc-ing co-moderator Alex Gill.

      Looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you very much.

      Jim Keenan
      Co-moderator
    • Subhendu Ghosh
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7 8:32 PM
        On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, James Keenan wrote:

        <snip>

        > II) Phalanx. At YAPC, Andy Lester of Chicago.pm spoke about Phalanx
        > (http://qa.perl.org/phalanx), a project to provide more thorough
        > testing of the most widely used CPAN modules and enable us to guarantee
        > that when Perl 5 is outfitted to run on Parrot (the Ponie project), all
        > the essential modules will test nice and pretty.
        > As I write this tonight, Chicago.pm is holding a tech meeting to
        > implement Phalanx testing of Sean Burke's HTML::Tree module
        > (http://chicago.pm.org/meetings/). We'd like to get a bunch of NY Perl
        > folks to work on this project as well.
        > Which leads us back to the subject of this e-mail: What are your
        > favorite CPAN modules? More specifically, which CPAN modules do you
        > rely on most, particularly in production contexts, and want to make
        > sure will run well in all future versions of Perl? (We're mostly
        > looking for modules *not* in the Perl 5.8 core distribution, as they're
        > going to be handled in a separate phase of the Phalanx project.) Once
        > we identify such modules, we can volunteer to have perlsemny
        > participate in the Phalanx project.

        I use the Net::SNMP and the Win32::OLE (for WMI) quite a bit. Would be
        happy to do some collaborative testing for these...

        --
        -subhendu
      • Steve Ragan
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 8 6:37 PM
          Hi Jim - long time no see / hear.

          One of my faves is HTML::Template - written by a NY'er no less - Sam Tregar

          Steve

> [...]
          > rely on most, particularly in production contexts, and want to make
          > sure will run well in all future versions of Perl? (We're mostly
          > looking for modules *not* in the Perl 5.8 core distribution, as they're
          > going to be handled in a separate phase of the Phalanx project.) Once
          > we identify such modules, we can volunteer to have perlsemny
          > participate in the Phalanx project.
          >
          > So, thanks for reading this far. If you are interested in working on
          > either of these two little projects (or have a similar little project
          > to propose), please let us know. If you have CPAN modules whose
          > testing you want to see made bullet-proof, let us know as well.
          >
          > You can respond either to the Perl Seminar NY list as a whole (now
          > about 98 members). Or, you can respond more privately by writing me
          > and cc-ing co-moderator Alex Gill.
          >
          > Looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you very much.

        • James Keenan
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 8 7:02 PM
            On Sep 7, 2004, at 11:32 PM, Subhendu Ghosh wrote:

            > I use the Net::SNMP and the Win32::OLE (for WMI) quite a bit. Would be
            > happy to do some collaborative testing for these...

            I think these are good choices. Net::SNMP is named as one of the
            "Phalanx 100". Win32::OLE is not, but that's probably because the
            people who put together the first draft of the project are probably
            working on *nix rather than Windows. I do know, however, that
            Win32::OLE is the most important of the Win32::** modules. I'll e-mail
            Andy Lester/Phalanx about how we should handle modules not already
            named in the 100.

            ... and ...

            On Sep 8, 2004, at 9:37 PM, Steve Ragan wrote:

            > Hi Jim - long time no see / hear.
            >
            > One of my faves is HTML::Template - written by a NY'er no less - Sam
            > Tregar

            Interesting; I may have met him once (at Riskmetrics in 2001 ???), but
            I don't think he's ever been to Perl Seminar NY.

            But, in any event, HTML::Template is also one of the Phalanx 100, so it
            would be a good choice.

            And, along the same lines, I've been in contact with Mark Jason Dominus
            re phalanxing his Text::Template module, another one of the Phalanx
            100. Not a NYer, but we all know him and he's spoken here many times.

            So we have some good starting points. Subhendu, Steve and anyone else
            who names a module: I'll probably e-mail you off list over the next
            week to go into more depth about this. Hopefully, when we have our
            first perlsemny meeting on Oct 19, we'll be able to sketch out an
            action plan into which we and other interested NYC-area Perl hackers
            can plug ourselves.

            Any other module suggestions?

            jimk
          • Jim Cromie
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 9 2:02 PM
              James Keenan wrote:

              > I'll e-mail
              >Andy Lester/Phalanx about how we should handle modules not already
              >named in the 100.

              I'll hazard a guess what the answer will be

              JFDI.

              Im sure Andy isnt gonna blow a gasket if its Phalanx 101.

              I, for one, dont do windows.
              I reclaimed that drive-space long ago

              I dont wanna sound harsh - the PerlSemNY Adopt a Module
              is a good thing.
            • Andy Lester
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 22 9:36 AM
                > I'll hazard a guess what the answer will be JFDI.

                It usually is the answer in most things. :-)

                > Im sure Andy isnt gonna blow a gasket if its Phalanx 101.

                Wanna know a secret?

                The list from last year is about 105. :-)

                xoa