Perl Seminar NY Session 1 Report

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2000
      A total of 11 people attended the first session of Perl Seminar NY
      Tuesday, December 12, 2000, 6:00 - 8:00 pm. Thanks to member
      Guinevere for arranging use of her company's conference room and
      presentation equipment and to all who showed! We were a diverse
      audience: a consultant/trainer, an attorney, a social worker, an
      advertising studio production manager -- hey, Perl is not just for
      full-time programmers!

      We began with a discussion of the hopes and expectations individuals
      held for the group. As mentioned above, some of our members are not
      full-time ITechies. Others are, but not necessarily in pro-Perl
      environments. These members need a place to "talk Perl shop" and get
      the feedback on our coding which we can't get on a day-to-day basis.
      Other members, in contrast, work in pro-Perl environments, while
      others still are very advanced Perl programmers, having posted
      modules on CPAN. We will try to accommodate the learning needs of
      this entire range of participants. After all, regardless of what
      level of Perl expertise you have, you will improve by having to
      present your coding to a knowledgeable audience and get informed
      feedback. What the group actually does on a month-to-month basis will
      be determined largely by how many members we have and how much energy
      we want to put into it.

      Logistics: We want to meet monthly, but the location we met this
      month (a) may not be available next month and (b) couldn't
      accommodate many more participants than we had tonight. Contact
      David dha@... or myself jkeen@... if you have
      suggestions on meeting space.

      Communications: We all recognized the need to have a mailing list
      specifically for the group, especially for posting info re events and
      for follow-ups on presentations. It was suggested and agreed that
      the quickest way to get mailing capabilities was to set up a free e-
      group at www.egroups.com. It was quick; I've already done it. The
      21 individuals who either attended tonight or who e-mailed me in
      response to earlier postings have been sent an invitation to join the
      group. Anybody else, follow this link:
      http://www.egroups.com/group/perlsemny. While we'll try to make sure
      that all important announcements for Perl Seminar NY are cross-posted
      to ny.pm, if you're interested in the Seminar please sign up at
      egroups so you don't miss any important messages.

      Note: in the egroups registration process you fill out a form that
      enables you to post to the group from any of several e-mail
      addresses, i.e., either your official e-mail address, or a web-based
      e-mail address if you're away. You can also select to receive mail
      from the group either as individual e-mails, a daily digest or simply
      reading it by going to egroups on the web. As it currently stands,
      this e-group is classified "public."

      Mark M. has also made a generous offer to set up space on his server
      where we can post coding. Once we get the logistics down we'll post
      that site and Mark will explain how to make use of it.

      Since it's getting late, I won't summarize the coding presentations
      which Mark and I did at Session 1. I'll try to do that in a few
      days. Thank you very much.