XML Class at NYPC Users Group Taught by Perlsemny Member

    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2002
      Our hosts at NYPC Users Group also sponsor classes. Next week there begins
      a course on XML led by veteran Perl Seminar NY member Mark Miller. Here are
      the details:

      If you are curious about XML and need a quick jumpstart to get
      you going, this is the class for you. Come prepared to do some
      hands-on projects. (Use your laptop or our desktop.)

      Starts Tuesday, May 14, 6:00-10:00pm Four 4-hour sessions,
      hands-on, at the NYPC classroom, 481 8th Ave. $325 NYPC members/$390
      To register, call 718-966-5020 or leave message at 212-643-7005, #2.

      Details:
      Intro to XML begins Tues., May 14
      It is impossible to open a magazine or trade paper without reading about
      the 'miracles' XML will do for your business. This course introduces the
      non-programmer to the syntax and simple use of XML. Class discussion
      encourages students to think about possible uses of XML in their current
      projects and how it will be applied to their businesses in the future. All
      sections have extensive hands-on exercises to give real-world examples of
      how
      the technology works.
      Sections:
      . Introduction and Overview
      . Creating XML Documents
      . Defining Documents w/ a DTD
      . Using Schemas, as Step Up from DTDs
      . XSLT, Transforming & Formatting XML
      By the end of the course, the student will be able to:
      . Create data storage in XML format
      . Include business rules as DTD/Schemas for validation of data
      . Transform and format XML data using XSL stylesheets
      . Display transformed data within the browser without server-side processing