Perl Seminar NY Feb 19 Agenda

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2002
      Perl Seminar NY Meets Tuesday, February 19, 6:15-8:15 pm
      NYPC Users Group office suite
      481 8 Ave (34-35 Sts), Suite 1560, Manhattan

      February Agenda: A Perl Database Focus
      1. Sal Romano: Perl DBI Made Simple: Using the DBI to Access Data.
      Sal will cover the following:
      How the DBI compares to flat file access
      How the DBI compares to DBM for file access
      What SyPerl and Oraperl are
      Basic information on SQL Select/insert/update and delete
      Use of connect strings
      Use of sql params
      A few "fun" examples on DBI use

      2. Martin Heinsdorf: "How to Get Rich Quick Using Perl: Part 1"
      How to create, load, and maintain an Oracle database of daily prices and
      volume for all stocks and funds on the American and Canadian markets. I'll
      briefly mention the use of LWP, HTML::LinkExtor, Date::Manip, and
      Finance::QuoteHist. To simplify the code, I made a thin wrapper library for
      DBI that some of our members may want to use. Copious code will be made
      available.
    • Terrence Brannon
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2002
        On Tuesday, February 5, 2002, at 10:30 PM, James E Keenan wrote:

        > How the DBI compares to flat file access

        I just wanted to mention that person here in New York at
        Columbia University named Jeff Zucker developed DBD::AnyData,
        which actually allows for DBI usage of a number common flat-file
        formats including fixed-width files as well as tab, pipe, and
        comma-separated data. Here are the docs to the module:

        http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/CPAN/data/DBD-AnyData/AnyData.html
      • Salvatore Denaro
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2002
          > February Agenda: A Perl Database Focus
          > 1. Sal Romano: Perl DBI Made Simple: Using the DBI to

          That's Sal Denaro not Romano.

          And I promise my talk won't be cheesy. :)

          --
          Salvatore Denaro
          sdenaro@...

          I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis.
          -- Humphrey Bogart's last words