Perl Seminar NY: Tues Jan 18 Meeting: Can We Bring This Off?

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
      Our January meeting will be two weeks from tomorrow night, i.e.,
      Tuesday January 18 2011, 6:15 pm.

      We have leads on presentations for our February and March meetings,
      but we don't yet have a topic for the January meeting. I'd like to
      run this idea up the flagpole and see who salutes:

      "Making Sense of 'make': A Workshop Session"

      This would be a "workshop session." Instead of having one person
      standing up in front of an audience with a more-or-less polished
      slideshow presentation, we encourage people to bring their laptops to
      the meeting, set-up the folding tables and hack collectively on a
      problem.

      The problem we would work on: Increasing our collective
      understanding of the 'make' utility.

      If you're like me, you (a) have used 'make' indirectly hundreds of
      times when installing modules from CPAN with ExtUtils::MakeMaker; (b)
      have used 'make' -- probably in a rote way -- to build Perl, Parrot,
      Python or some other application from its source code; and (c) have
      found 'make' mysterious and daunting.

      The purpose of this Perlsemny Workshop Session would be to increase
      our collective understanding of, and decrease our individual fear of,
      'make'.

      What do we need to bring this off? If several of us prepare small
      exercises on different aspects of 'make', then we can share our
      knowledge and ask each other questions. Here are some exercises that
      would be helpful:

      1. A simple example of using 'make' to compile a C executable.
      Anyone who has taken an introductory C course should be able to put
      this exercise together.

      2. A simple example of how a Perl 5 CPAN module which uses
      ExtUtils::MakeMaker (rather than Module::Build) to write a Makefile.
      (Examples: any one of my CPAN distributions.)

      3. A more complex example of how a Perl 5 CPAN distribution uses a
      Makefile.PL file as a template for generating a Makefile. (Examples:
      any CPAN distribution that has an XS component.)

      4. An example of a Makefile-generator outside Perl 5. (I can take
      this exercise, as I have recently had to spend many hours with
      Parrot's Makefile generator.)

      So, if we run with this topic for Jan 18, we will need *several* of
      us to prepare *small parts* of the overall meeting content. Can we
      bring this off? Please let us know if you can take on any of 1-2-3
      above.

      Thank you very much.

      Jim Keenan
    • Thomas Krichel
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
        James E Keenan writes

        > "Making Sense of 'make': A Workshop Session"

        I salute! I will try to "make" it to the meeting!

        > So, if we run with this topic for Jan 18, we will need *several* of
        > us to prepare *small parts* of the overall meeting content. Can we
        > bring this off? Please let us know if you can take on any of 1-2-3
        > above.

        Maybe, if considered on topic, I could look to the Debian
        packaging tools for Perl module, i.e. how to make a Debian
        package for a particular Perl module.

        Cheers,

        Thomas Krichel http://openlib.org/home/krichel
        http://authorclaim.org/profile/pkr1
        skype: thomaskrichel
      • David Golden
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
          On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Thomas Krichel <krichel@...> wrote:

          > Maybe, if considered on topic, I could look to the Debian
          > packaging tools for Perl module, i.e. how to make a Debian
          > package for a particular Perl module.

          +1

          I'd be much more interested in learning how CPAN modules are packaged
          for various distros that in wading through Makefiles.

          -- David
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
            On Jan 3, 2011, at 8:30 PM, Thomas Krichel wrote:

            > Maybe, if considered on topic, I could look to the Debian
            > packaging tools for Perl module, i.e. how to make a Debian
            > package for a particular Perl module.

            I think that's a good topic -- but for a different meeting.

            I myself have tried and failed to build Debian packages for my CPAN
            distros more than once. So it is something that I'm interested in,
            but I think it needs more discussion time in a meeting than what I'm
            proposing will allow.

            We still have to fill our Feb->May meetings, however, so let's
            definitely keep this in mind.

            Thank you very much.

            jimk
          • Thomas Krichel
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
              James E Keenan writes

              > We still have to fill our Feb->May meetings, however, so let's
              > definitely keep this in mind.

              Sure.

              With cheers from Siberia,