Perl Seminar NY season starts in < 7 weeks

  • jimkeenan
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2010
      It's September 1 in New York City (though weather-wise it still feels like July 15). That means that Perl Seminar NY's 2010-11 season (and, I hope, cooler weather) is less than 7 weeks away.

      Our first meeting:
      Tuesday, October 19, 6:15-8:15 pm
      NYPC User Group
      481 8th Ave (Ramada, suite 550)
      Between West 34 & 35 Sts, Manhattan

      If it's September 1, it also means I have to turn up the heat on the quest for presenters and presentations for this season. I'm going to take the liberty of re-printing the list of suggested topics I developed coming out of YAPC::NA::2010 in Columbus in June. Only a few of those topics have been spoken for, so there are many opportunities left. Don't be bashful if you have never made a tech presentation before; we love to work with virgins!

      Rakudo Star (Rakudo*): A usable subset of the Perl 6 specification, implemented on the Parrot virtual machine. Released on July 29.
      http://rakudo.org/

      Padre: Perl Application Development and Refactoring Environment.
      http://padre.perlide.org/

      Moose: A postmodern object system for Perl. http://www.iinteractive.com/moose/

      Catalyst: MVC framework for web development. http://www.catalystframework.org/

      perlbrew: A program to automate the building and installation of perl in the users HOME. http://search.cpan.org/dist/App-perlbrew/

      cpanminus: A smaller CPAN client. http://search.cpan.org/dist/App-cpanminus/

      local::lib: Create and use a local lib/ for perl modules with PERL5LIB.
      http://search.cpan.org/dist/local-lib/

      Devel::Declare: Add keywords to perl, in perl.
      http://search.cpan.org/dist/Devel-Declare/

      Dist::Zilla: Distribution builder.
      http://search.cpan.org/dist/Dist-Zilla/

      AnyEvent: simpler/faster/newer/cooler AnyEvent API.
      http://search.cpan.org/dist/AnyEvent/

      Plack: Perl Superglue for Web frameworks and Web Servers (PSGI toolkit).
      http://search.cpan.org/dist/Plack/

      JSON::XS: JSON serialising/deserialising, done correctly and fast.
      http://search.cpan.org/dist/JSON-XS/

      Perlanet: A program for creating web pages that aggregate web feeds (both RSS and Atom).
      http://search.cpan.org/dist/Perlanet/

      Try::Tiny: Minimal try/catch with proper localization of $@.
      http://search.cpan.org/dist/Try-Tiny/

      Reflex: Reflex is a library of classes that assist with writing reactive (AKA event-driven) programs.
      http://kobesearch.cpan.org/htdocs/Reflex/README.html

      iCPAN: Not the Intercity Prayer Altars Network.
      http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/icpan/id377340561?mt=8

      Task::Kensho: A first cut at building a list of recommended modules for Enlightened Perl development.
      http://search.cpan.org/dist/Task-Kensho/

      mibbit: Chat client that really proved its usefulness at YAPC when regular IRC ports were blocked.
      http://www.mibbit.com/

      Jim Keenan
    • Eric Garrido
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2010
        I'm a "virgin" to the Perl Seminar, despite repeated attempts
        to get to the Perl 6 meeting over the last few weekends (damned
        on-call rotation!), and a lurker to this list for a few weeks. I'm
        also one of the perlmongers/preachers at <large firm>. It's actually
        a pretty good place to be to write some Perl; basically our entire
        back-end infrastructure is Perl-based, as well as the typical glue.

        As I use the following in every day life (they keep me sane), I could
        definitely talk about them:

        > Moose: A postmodern object system for Perl. http://www.iinteractive.com/moose/
        >
        > Catalyst: MVC framework for web development. http://www.catalystframework.org/
        >
        > Try::Tiny: Minimal try/catch with proper localization of $@.
        > http://search.cpan.org/dist/Try-Tiny/

        That said, Moose and Catalyst are either taken or *should* be taken
        by a senior Perl guru on the list. Both are awe-inspiring and great.

        My initial thought on a presentation on Try::Tiny would be that
        Try::Tiny couldn't take up the whole session; that's the whole point
        of the "::Tiny" part and why it's not just named "Try", "Try::Large",
        or "Try::Really::Hard". Most talks I've seen that include Try::Tiny
        also include the motivation for it (namely, that other syntactic
        sugar modules are provably broken) and perhaps what alternatives
        exist to die().

        While I like your list of topics, the following are really great and
        arguably have the potential to change how Perl 5 is written for the
        next few years, if they gain more traction in the community:

        > Task::Kensho: A first cut at building a list of recommended modules for Enlightened Perl development.
        > http://search.cpan.org/dist/Task-Kensho/
        >
        > Plack: Perl Superglue for Web frameworks and Web Servers (PSGI toolkit).
        > http://search.cpan.org/dist/Plack/
        >
        > AnyEvent: simpler/faster/newer/cooler AnyEvent API.
        > http://search.cpan.org/dist/AnyEvent/

        Contact me off-list to arrange a date, or reply to the list to tell
        me I'm wrong about something :-)

        Eric

        On 2010-09-02 1:49am, jimkeenan wrote:
        > It's September 1 in New York City (though weather-wise it still feels like July 15). That means that Perl Seminar NY's 2010-11 season (and, I hope, cooler weather) is less than 7 weeks away.
        >
        > Our first meeting:
        > Tuesday, October 19, 6:15-8:15 pm
        > NYPC User Group
        > 481 8th Ave (Ramada, suite 550)
        > Between West 34 & 35 Sts, Manhattan
        >
        > If it's September 1, it also means I have to turn up the heat on the quest for presenters and presentations for this season. I'm going to take the liberty of re-printing the list of suggested topics I developed coming out of YAPC::NA::2010 in Columbus in June. Only a few of those topics have been spoken for, so there are many opportunities left. Don't be bashful if you have never made a tech presentation before; we love to work with virgins!
        >
        > Rakudo Star (Rakudo*): A usable subset of the Perl 6 specification, implemented on the Parrot virtual machine. Released on July 29.
        > http://rakudo.org/
        >
        > Padre: Perl Application Development and Refactoring Environment.
        > http://padre.perlide.org/
        >
        > Moose: A postmodern object system for Perl. http://www.iinteractive.com/moose/
        >
        > Catalyst: MVC framework for web development. http://www.catalystframework.org/
        >
        > perlbrew: A program to automate the building and installation of perl in the users HOME. http://search.cpan.org/dist/App-perlbrew/
        >
        > cpanminus: A smaller CPAN client. http://search.cpan.org/dist/App-cpanminus/
        >
        > local::lib: Create and use a local lib/ for perl modules with PERL5LIB.
        > http://search.cpan.org/dist/local-lib/
        >
        > Devel::Declare: Add keywords to perl, in perl.
        > http://search.cpan.org/dist/Devel-Declare/
        >
        > Dist::Zilla: Distribution builder.
        > http://search.cpan.org/dist/Dist-Zilla/
        >
        > AnyEvent: simpler/faster/newer/cooler AnyEvent API.
        > http://search.cpan.org/dist/AnyEvent/
        >
        > Plack: Perl Superglue for Web frameworks and Web Servers (PSGI toolkit).
        > http://search.cpan.org/dist/Plack/
        >
        > JSON::XS: JSON serialising/deserialising, done correctly and fast.
        > http://search.cpan.org/dist/JSON-XS/
        >
        > Perlanet: A program for creating web pages that aggregate web feeds (both RSS and Atom).
        > http://search.cpan.org/dist/Perlanet/
        >
        > Try::Tiny: Minimal try/catch with proper localization of $@.
        > http://search.cpan.org/dist/Try-Tiny/
        >
        > Reflex: Reflex is a library of classes that assist with writing reactive (AKA event-driven) programs.
        > http://kobesearch.cpan.org/htdocs/Reflex/README.html
        >
        > iCPAN: Not the Intercity Prayer Altars Network.
        > http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/icpan/id377340561?mt=8
        >
        > Task::Kensho: A first cut at building a list of recommended modules for Enlightened Perl development.
        > http://search.cpan.org/dist/Task-Kensho/
        >
        > mibbit: Chat client that really proved its usefulness at YAPC when regular IRC ports were blocked.
        > http://www.mibbit.com/
        >
        > Jim Keenan

      • David Golden
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2010
          On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 11:40 PM, Eric Garrido <eric@...> wrote:
          My initial thought on a presentation on Try::Tiny would be that
          Try::Tiny couldn't take up the whole session; that's the whole point
          of the "::Tiny" part and why it's not just named "Try", "Try::Large",
          or "Try::Really::Hard". Most talks I've seen that include Try::Tiny
          also include the motivation for it (namely, that other syntactic
          sugar modules are provably broken) and perhaps what alternatives
          exist to die().

          A whole session of lightning talks devoted to the "::Tiny" family could be interesting.  Everyone would only have to do one module.  Some are probably worth skipping (especially the joke ones), but many would be worth it.

          -- David
        • Patrick Donelan

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2010
              Be aware that Yahoo placed this message in the spam folder because of the terms you used. :)
              Some people may have lost your message.

              Raffaello

> [...]
              > >
              > > JSON::XS: JSON serialising/deserialising, done
              > correctly and fast.
              > > http://search.cpan.org/dist/JSON-XS/
              > >
              > > Perlanet: A program for creating web pages that
              > aggregate web feeds (both RSS and Atom).
              > > http://search.cpan.org/dist/Perlanet/
              > >
              > > Try::Tiny: Minimal try/catch with proper localization
              > of $@.
              > > http://search.cpan.org/dist/Try-Tiny/
              > >
              > > Reflex: Reflex is a library of classes that assist
              > with writing reactive (AKA event-driven) programs.
              > > http://kobesearch.cpan.org/htdocs/Reflex/README.html
              > >
              > > iCPAN: Not the Intercity Prayer Altars Network.
              > > http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/icpan/id377340561?mt=8
              > >
              > > Task::Kensho: A first cut at building a list of
              > recommended modules for Enlightened Perl development.
              > > http://search.cpan.org/dist/Task-Kensho/
              > >
              > > mibbit: Chat client that really proved its usefulness
              > at YAPC when regular IRC ports were blocked.

            • Makoto Nozaki
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 3, 2010
                Hi,

                On Sep 2, 2010, at 7:42 AM, David Golden <xdaveg@...> wrote:

                > A whole session of lightning talks devoted to the "::Tiny" family could be interesting.

                I fully support this idea.

                Makoto Nozaki
              • Eric Garrido
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 6, 2010
                  On 2010-09-02 7:42am, David Golden wrote:
                  > A whole session of lightning talks devoted to the "::Tiny" family could be
                  > interesting. Everyone would only have to do one module. Some are probably
                  > worth skipping (especially the joke ones), but many would be worth it.

                  I like this idea too. I wonder if the OP would care to present the
                  Capture::Tiny module. :-)

                  Organizing this will be slightly more difficult as ( several people ) >
                  ( one person ).

                  Any thoughts on other ::Tiny modules that are
                  worthwhile? DateTime::Tiny is useful and Template::Tiny is cute,
                  but both are fairly standard.

                  And, an aside: does anyone know of an existing tool to pull usage
                  metrics from CPAN? Like, in this case: "show me the top 20 most
                  widely used (or downloaded) ::Tiny modules?" If not, that might be
                  an interesting project.
                • David Golden
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 6, 2010
                    On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Eric Garrido <eric@...> wrote:

                    I like this idea too. I wonder if the OP would care to present the
                    Capture::Tiny module. :-)

                    I've done so before, but can put together a lightning talk version of it.

                    Any thoughts on other ::Tiny modules that are
                    worthwhile? DateTime::Tiny is useful and Template::Tiny is cute,
                    but both are fairly standard.

                    I regularly use Config::Tiny and occasionally Object::Tiny.  Try::Tiny was already mentioned.  YAML::Tiny is useful if you need to work with YAML.  Though it's not called "Tiny", HTTP::Lite is in the same spirit and worth knowing about.

                    I haven't used HTML::Tiny or CSS::Tiny, but if others have, maybe they can say whether they are worth covering.

                    And, an aside: does anyone know of an existing tool to pull usage
                    metrics from CPAN? Like, in this case: "show me the top 20 most
                    widely used (or downloaded) ::Tiny modules?" If not, that might be
                    an interesting project.

                    There is no "usage" metric in the sense of "most downloaded".  The best proxy is "listed as a prerequsite" for something else.  One could use the CPANDB [1] used to generate Adam Kennedy's CPAN Top 100 [2] to do that kind of analysis.

                      [1] http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?CPANDB
                      [2] http://ali.as/top100/index.html

                    -- David