Added tutorial on more advanced GUI automation

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2005
      I have added new tutorial to win32::guitest documentation. The
      documentation can be found here ->
      http://www.piotrkaluski.com/files/winguitest/docs/index.html (as
      usuall). The new tutorial starts in section "Going further" in chapter
      "2. GUI Testing - tutorial".

      This new tutorial deals with automation of more advanced controls. It
      describes new functions, which are not included in the standard
      distribution (1.50.3-ad) so I included an installation package with
      those new functions in the tutorial.

      Dennis and Gabor - I insist that those functions are included in the
      next distribution, unless you find a serious bug in them. The
      development of Win32::GuiTest goes really slowly (which is nobody's
      fault - we all work on it in our free time) therefore we should employ
      users in testing new functionalities as early as possible. We can mark
      those new function to be experimental (as suggested by Gabor, which I
      think is a good idea) but we should not postpone including new code
      until we think it over 5 times because we don't have resources for it.

      For the same reason I insist on adding functions from my post 876 and
      885. Should you need any further assistance in doing this - let me know.

      Should you have any comments on my new tutorial - let me know.

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 22, 2005
        Hello Piotr,
        Feel free to implement these changes in the core if you find the
        time. No one will know the changes better then yourself. :-) As you
        know and as good development practice suggests, we just need to
        think about level of compatibility, ease-of-use, standardization,
        etc, etc.

        My current employment consumes the majority of time, in addition to
        my new son, otherwise I would be more inclined to merge these
        changes myself. :-)

        Regards,
        Dennis

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@p...>

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 22, 2005
          Hi Dennis,
          I would love to add them to the core, however there is no way I can
          do this, since I am not a member of winguitest project on source
          forge. Of course, I can place distribution somewhere else, and link
          to them from the Win32::GuiTest documentation but it would lead to
          confussion.

          I fully agree that compatibility, ease of use and so on are
          important. And I had that in mind while implementing my functions. In
          most projects the next step should be a peer review and discussion of
          the code. However, we don't have time and resources to do that. We
          have to choose between 2 evils
          * Let unsufficiently discussed changes go into the core and let the
          module to become richer
          * Wait with all new changes until we have time to review them, which
          considering current resources would stop the development.
          I think the first option is better.

          And congratulations for your son! Is this your first child?
          Well, I expect that your activity in this group will drop
          significantly :-)). I know something about it, because I have 2 kids.
          Enjoy!