Re: Testing GTK based applications

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2005
      Yeah, the concepts between GTK and Windows based applications is a
      bit different. If you have control over the GTK application/source-
      code, you can use "that function" that sets a title for a window and
      use it to uniquely identify the various widgets (buttons, etc.).
      With that you can do some testing/interaction, but sort of cheesy.
      Ideally we would have resources to come up with something better. :-(

      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt Stelmar" <kstelmar@c...>

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 14, 2005
        Can you guys send me an example of GTK application (preferably a
        compiled executable, so I don't have to setup a compilation
        environment myself)

        <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:

        > Yeah, the concepts between GTK and Windows based applications is a
        > bit different. If you have control over the GTK application/source-
        > code, you can use "that function" that sets a title for a window
        and
        > use it to uniquely identify the various widgets (buttons, etc.).
        > With that you can do some testing/interaction, but sort of cheesy.
        > Ideally we would have resources to come up with something better.
        :-(

        > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt Stelmar" <kstelmar@c...>
        > wrote:
        > > Yes – I've found the same, and it IS frustrating. I tried
        Winspy
        > as well,
        > > with the same lack of success. I don't have any ideas but I'd
        sure
        > like to
        > > see this capability added.
        > >

        > > Kurt
        > >

        > > _____

      • Gábor Szabó
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 14, 2005
          On 8/15/05, Piotr Kaluski <pkaluski@...> wrote:
          > Can you guys send me an example of GTK application (preferably a
          > compiled executable, so I don't have to setup a compilation
          > environment myself)

          I don't have anything compiled but on this page you'll find
          my demo/tutorial app that is written in Perl.
          http://www.szabgab.com/gtk2.html

          Use it for black-box testing.

          Here you'll find instructions on how to install Gtk2 on Windows
          and where to the the Perl modules from.
          http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/platforms/

          I'll try to see if I can get something compiled
          later on.

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 16, 2005
            Hi,
            This is the question I asked GTK development community:

            <question>
            Hi all,
            I am involved in development of Win32::GuiTest perl library. It is a
            light
            weight but yet powerful module for gui test automation. It works
            pretty
            well with standard Win32 applications.

            I am not going to bother you with details of gui test automation. If
            you
            are interested in finding out more you can check the link
            http://www.piotrkaluski.com/files/winguitest/docs/ch02.html .
            The general idea is that you have to find a window handle of a
            control and
            then send it a right message (via SendMessage).

            The problem with GTK is that when you inspect GTK application with
            spy++,
            all controls have a class name gdkChildWindow. So there is no way to
            figure out what messages should be send to them.
            The question is - do GTK controls inherit from standard Win32
            controls, or
            GTK team created its own controls from scratch?
            Is there any documentation on what messages can be sent to
            gdkChildWindow
            and what are their meanings?

            -Piotr
            </question>

            And this is the answer:

            <answer>
            Piotr Kaluski writes:
            > The question is - do GTK controls inherit from standard Win32
            > controls,

            Nope. No relation at all.

            > or GTK team created its own controls from scratch?

            Of course. That's what GTK *is*, a library of widgets, or "controls"
            in MS-speak.

            > Is there any documentation on what messages can be sent to
            > gdkChildWindow and what are their meanings?

            GTK+ widgets aren't controlled through window messages. Read the GTK+
            documentation.

            --tml
            </answer>

            After thinking a while, I came to the following conclusion and I am
            courious what is your opinion: we should not include GTK support in
            Win32::GuiTest for the same reason we should not include suport for
            Java. One of advantages of Win32::GuiTest (WGT) is its light weight.
            It is also simple to build - you need standard perl and MS compiler
            installation. Should we add GTK support, it will make it more complex.
            Secondly, WGT is based on assumption that you communicate with
            controls using messages. Adding GTK support would make the foundation
            more complex. I believe it would be more clean to have a seperate
            module for testing GTK GUIs. It would also give user a freedom to
            choose if he/she goes or doesn't go with GTK.

            <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:

            > Yeah, the concepts between GTK and Windows based applications is a
            > bit different. If you have control over the GTK application/source-
            > code, you can use "that function" that sets a title for a window
            and
            > use it to uniquely identify the various widgets (buttons, etc.).
            > With that you can do some testing/interaction, but sort of cheesy.
            > Ideally we would have resources to come up with something better.
            :-(

            > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt Stelmar" <kstelmar@c...>
            > wrote:
            > > Yes – I've found the same, and it IS frustrating. I tried
            Winspy
            > as well,
            > > with the same lack of success. I don't have any ideas but I'd
            sure
            > like to
            > > see this capability added.
            > >

            > > Kurt
            > >

            > > _____

          • Steven Lloyd
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 16, 2005
              In my opinion, I think that it is more important to develop support for
              more advanced win32 controls like SysTreeView32 and .net support. As an
              automation tool, most windows applications that you will be automating
              will be using the standard windows controls.

              Steve Lloyd
              http://www.basgetti.com

              --
            • Gábor Szabó
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 21, 2005
                On 8/16/05, Piotr Kaluski <pkaluski@...> wrote:

                > After thinking a while, I came to the following conclusion and I am
                > courious what is your opinion: we should not include GTK support in
                > Win32::GuiTest for the same reason we should not include suport for
                > Java.

                I also agree that it should be in a separate module but as the subject is
                related I raised the original issue here as well.

                As of what is more important as Steven raised,
                I don't really have a way to compare the two issues.
                The one you need to test today is more important to you today.
                Otherwiase they are unrelated.