RE: [perlguitest] Testing GTK based applications

  • Kurt Stelmar
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
      Yes – I’ve found the same, and it IS frustrating. I tried Winspy as well,
      with the same lack of success. I don’t have any ideas but I’d sure like to
      see this capability added.

      Kurt

      _____

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2005
        Yeah, the concepts between GTK and Windows based applications is a
        bit different. If you have control over the GTK application/source-
        code, you can use "that function" that sets a title for a window and
        use it to uniquely identify the various widgets (buttons, etc.).
        With that you can do some testing/interaction, but sort of cheesy.
        Ideally we would have resources to come up with something better. :-(

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt Stelmar" <kstelmar@c...>
        wrote:
        > Yes – I've found the same, and it IS frustrating. I tried Winspy
        as well,
        > with the same lack of success. I don't have any ideas but I'd sure
        like to
        > see this capability added.
        >

        > Kurt
        >

        > _____

        t=ms&k=C+programming+language&w1=C+programming

        +language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programming+lang
        uage&w4

        =C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=Program
        ming+la
        > nguages&c=6&s=188&.sig=uAODdjBuPf2AFmZC4D7SEA> programming
        language

        > Computer
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Computer+programming+languages&w1=C+pro

        gramming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programm
        ing+lan

        guage&w4=C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6
        =Progra
        > mming+languages&c=6&s=188&.sig=y_P2xIdODNaACD_DIso--g> programming
        > languages
        >
        > The
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=The+c+programming+language&w1=C+program

        ming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programming+
        languag

        e&w4=C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=Pro
        grammin
        > g+languages&c=6&s=188&.sig=LYwwGQcbg4iMgXAcxGNaUQ> c programming
        language

        t=ms&k=C+++programming+language&w1=C+programmi

        ng+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programming+la
        nguage&

        w4=C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=Progr
        amming+
        > languages&c=6&s=188&.sig=vc-tNFvVPlU95RrPUEEQWw> programming
        language

        > List
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=List+of+programming+languages&w1=C+prog

        ramming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programmi
        ng+lang

        uage&w4=C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=
        Program
        > ming+languages&c=6&s=188&.sig=N4t1_rAV70WeS0TXNSIuwg> of
        programming
        > languages
        >
        > Programming
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Programming+languages&w1=C+programming+

        language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programming+langu
        age&w4=

        C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=Programm
        ing+lan
        > guages&c=6&s=188&.sig=VzaKrIWH0EAAnzSwDNT1XQ> languages
        >

        > _____
        >
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >

        > * Visit your group "perlguitest
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perlguitest> " on the web.

        subject=Unsubscribe>

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 14, 2005
          Can you guys send me an example of GTK application (preferably a
          compiled executable, so I don't have to setup a compilation
          environment myself)

          <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:

          > Yeah, the concepts between GTK and Windows based applications is a
          > bit different. If you have control over the GTK application/source-
          > code, you can use "that function" that sets a title for a window
          and
          > use it to uniquely identify the various widgets (buttons, etc.).
          > With that you can do some testing/interaction, but sort of cheesy.
          > Ideally we would have resources to come up with something better.
          :-(

          > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt Stelmar" <kstelmar@c...>
          > wrote:
          > > Yes – I've found the same, and it IS frustrating. I tried
          Winspy
          > as well,
          > > with the same lack of success. I don't have any ideas but I'd
          sure
          > like to
          > > see this capability added.
          > >

          > > Kurt
          > >

          > > _____

        • Gábor Szabó
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 14, 2005
            On 8/15/05, Piotr Kaluski <pkaluski@...> wrote:
            > Can you guys send me an example of GTK application (preferably a
            > compiled executable, so I don't have to setup a compilation
            > environment myself)

            I don't have anything compiled but on this page you'll find
            my demo/tutorial app that is written in Perl.
            http://www.szabgab.com/gtk2.html

            Use it for black-box testing.

            Here you'll find instructions on how to install Gtk2 on Windows
            and where to the the Perl modules from.
            http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/platforms/

            I'll try to see if I can get something compiled
            later on.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 16, 2005
              This is the question I asked GTK development community:

              <question>
              Hi all,
              I am involved in development of Win32::GuiTest perl library. It is a
              light
              weight but yet powerful module for gui test automation. It works
              pretty
              well with standard Win32 applications.

              I am not going to bother you with details of gui test automation. If
              you
              are interested in finding out more you can check the link
              http://www.piotrkaluski.com/files/winguitest/docs/ch02.html .
              The general idea is that you have to find a window handle of a
              control and
              then send it a right message (via SendMessage).

              The problem with GTK is that when you inspect GTK application with
              spy++,
              all controls have a class name gdkChildWindow. So there is no way to
              figure out what messages should be send to them.
              The question is - do GTK controls inherit from standard Win32
              controls, or
              GTK team created its own controls from scratch?
              Is there any documentation on what messages can be sent to
              gdkChildWindow
              and what are their meanings?

              -Piotr
              </question>

              And this is the answer:

              <answer>
              Piotr Kaluski writes:
              > The question is - do GTK controls inherit from standard Win32
              > controls,

              Nope. No relation at all.

              > or GTK team created its own controls from scratch?

              Of course. That's what GTK *is*, a library of widgets, or "controls"
              in MS-speak.

              > Is there any documentation on what messages can be sent to
              > gdkChildWindow and what are their meanings?

              GTK+ widgets aren't controlled through window messages. Read the GTK+
              documentation.

              --tml
              </answer>

              After thinking a while, I came to the following conclusion and I am
              courious what is your opinion: we should not include GTK support in
              Win32::GuiTest for the same reason we should not include suport for
              Java. One of advantages of Win32::GuiTest (WGT) is its light weight.
              It is also simple to build - you need standard perl and MS compiler
              installation. Should we add GTK support, it will make it more complex.
              Secondly, WGT is based on assumption that you communicate with
              controls using messages. Adding GTK support would make the foundation
              more complex. I believe it would be more clean to have a seperate
              module for testing GTK GUIs. It would also give user a freedom to
              choose if he/she goes or doesn't go with GTK.

              <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:

              > Yeah, the concepts between GTK and Windows based applications is a
              > bit different. If you have control over the GTK application/source-
              > code, you can use "that function" that sets a title for a window
              and
              > use it to uniquely identify the various widgets (buttons, etc.).
              > With that you can do some testing/interaction, but sort of cheesy.
              > Ideally we would have resources to come up with something better.
              :-(

              > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt Stelmar" <kstelmar@c...>
              > wrote:
              > > Yes – I've found the same, and it IS frustrating. I tried
              Winspy
              > as well,
              > > with the same lack of success. I don't have any ideas but I'd
              sure
              > like to
              > > see this capability added.
              > >

              > > Kurt
              > >

              > > _____

            • Steven Lloyd
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 16, 2005
                In my opinion, I think that it is more important to develop support for
                more advanced win32 controls like SysTreeView32 and .net support. As an
                automation tool, most windows applications that you will be automating
                will be using the standard windows controls.

                Steve Lloyd
                http://www.basgetti.com

                --
              • Gábor Szabó
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 21, 2005
                  On 8/16/05, Piotr Kaluski <pkaluski@...> wrote:

                  > After thinking a while, I came to the following conclusion and I am
                  > courious what is your opinion: we should not include GTK support in
                  > Win32::GuiTest for the same reason we should not include suport for
                  > Java.

                  I also agree that it should be in a separate module but as the subject is
                  related I raised the original issue here as well.

                  As of what is more important as Steven raised,
                  I don't really have a way to compare the two issues.
                  The one you need to test today is more important to you today.
                  Otherwiase they are unrelated.