Testing GTK based applications

  • Gábor Szabó
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
      It seem it is quite problematic to use Win32::GuiTest to automate applications
      written with some of the multi-platform toolkits. Actually this does not seem to
      be the problem of the module as WinSpy
      http://www.catch22.net/software/winspy.asp
      cannot analyse these apps either.

      Earlier there was the Qt example that could not be fully automated
      (e.g. we could not managed to read the menu nor text in the widgets)
      some major issues.

      Now as I am writing an application in GTK I have tried to test it using
      Win32::GuiTest with very limited success. (WinSpy also failed),
      Basically while I could see the list of child windows, each one had the
      same gdkChildWindow type and each one had the same title: the name of
      the program. This happened both in Win32::GuiTest and in WinSpy.

      I think it would be very good if we could find a way to automate these
      applications
      either within the Win32::GuiTest framework our outside of it.

      The GTK application was actually written in the Perl bindings of GTK and can be
      downloaded from here: http://www.szabgab.com/gtk2.html

      Any ideas here ?
      Maybe an idea where else to discuss this ?

      Gabor
    • Kurt Stelmar
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
        Yes – I’ve found the same, and it IS frustrating. I tried Winspy as well,
        with the same lack of success. I don’t have any ideas but I’d sure like to
        see this capability added.

        Kurt

        _____

[...]

        +language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programming+language&w4
        =C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=Programming+la
        nguages&c=6&s=188&.sig=uAODdjBuPf2AFmZC4D7SEA> programming language

        Computer
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+programming+languages&w1=C+pro
        gramming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programming+lan
        guage&w4=C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=Progra
        mming+languages&c=6&s=188&.sig=y_P2xIdODNaACD_DIso--g> programming
        languages

        The
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=The+c+programming+language&w1=C+program
        ming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programming+languag
        e&w4=C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=Programmin
        g+languages&c=6&s=188&.sig=LYwwGQcbg4iMgXAcxGNaUQ> c programming language

        ng+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programming+language&
        w4=C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=Programming+
        languages&c=6&s=188&.sig=vc-tNFvVPlU95RrPUEEQWw> programming language

        List
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=List+of+programming+languages&w1=C+prog
        ramming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programming+lang
        uage&w4=C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=Program
        ming+languages&c=6&s=188&.sig=N4t1_rAV70WeS0TXNSIuwg> of programming
        languages

        Programming
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Programming+languages&w1=C+programming+
        language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programming+language&w4=
        C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=Programming+lan
        guages&c=6&s=188&.sig=VzaKrIWH0EAAnzSwDNT1XQ> languages

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "perlguitest
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perlguitest> " on the web.

        _____

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2005
          Yeah, the concepts between GTK and Windows based applications is a
          bit different. If you have control over the GTK application/source-
          code, you can use "that function" that sets a title for a window and
          use it to uniquely identify the various widgets (buttons, etc.).
          With that you can do some testing/interaction, but sort of cheesy.
          Ideally we would have resources to come up with something better. :-(

          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt Stelmar" <kstelmar@c...>
          wrote:
          > Yes – I've found the same, and it IS frustrating. I tried Winspy
          as well,
          > with the same lack of success. I don't have any ideas but I'd sure
          like to
          > see this capability added.
          >

          > Kurt
          >

          > _____

          t=ms&k=C+programming+language&w1=C+programming

          +language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programming+lang
          uage&w4

          =C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=Program
          ming+la
          > nguages&c=6&s=188&.sig=uAODdjBuPf2AFmZC4D7SEA> programming
          language

          > Computer
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Computer+programming+languages&w1=C+pro

          gramming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programm
          ing+lan

          guage&w4=C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6
          =Progra
          > mming+languages&c=6&s=188&.sig=y_P2xIdODNaACD_DIso--g> programming
          > languages
          >
          > The
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=The+c+programming+language&w1=C+program

          ming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programming+
          languag

          e&w4=C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=Pro
          grammin
          > g+languages&c=6&s=188&.sig=LYwwGQcbg4iMgXAcxGNaUQ> c programming
          language

          t=ms&k=C+++programming+language&w1=C+programmi

          ng+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programming+la
          nguage&

          w4=C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=Progr
          amming+
          > languages&c=6&s=188&.sig=vc-tNFvVPlU95RrPUEEQWw> programming
          language

          > List
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=List+of+programming+languages&w1=C+prog

          ramming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programmi
          ng+lang

          uage&w4=C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=
          Program
          > ming+languages&c=6&s=188&.sig=N4t1_rAV70WeS0TXNSIuwg> of
          programming
          > languages
          >
          > Programming
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Programming+languages&w1=C+programming+

          language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programming+langu
          age&w4=

          C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=Programm
          ing+lan
          > guages&c=6&s=188&.sig=VzaKrIWH0EAAnzSwDNT1XQ> languages
          >

          > _____
          >
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >

          > * Visit your group "perlguitest
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perlguitest> " on the web.

          subject=Unsubscribe>

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 14, 2005
            Can you guys send me an example of GTK application (preferably a
            compiled executable, so I don't have to setup a compilation
            environment myself)

            <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:

            > Yeah, the concepts between GTK and Windows based applications is a
            > bit different. If you have control over the GTK application/source-
            > code, you can use "that function" that sets a title for a window
            and
            > use it to uniquely identify the various widgets (buttons, etc.).
            > With that you can do some testing/interaction, but sort of cheesy.
            > Ideally we would have resources to come up with something better.
            :-(

            > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt Stelmar" <kstelmar@c...>
            > wrote:
            > > Yes – I've found the same, and it IS frustrating. I tried
            Winspy
            > as well,
            > > with the same lack of success. I don't have any ideas but I'd
            sure
            > like to
            > > see this capability added.
            > >

            > > Kurt
            > >

            > > _____

          • Gábor Szabó
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 14, 2005
              On 8/15/05, Piotr Kaluski <pkaluski@...> wrote:
              > Can you guys send me an example of GTK application (preferably a
              > compiled executable, so I don't have to setup a compilation
              > environment myself)

              I don't have anything compiled but on this page you'll find
              my demo/tutorial app that is written in Perl.
              http://www.szabgab.com/gtk2.html

              Use it for black-box testing.

              Here you'll find instructions on how to install Gtk2 on Windows
              and where to the the Perl modules from.
              http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/platforms/

              I'll try to see if I can get something compiled
              later on.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 16, 2005
                This is the question I asked GTK development community:

                <question>
                Hi all,
                I am involved in development of Win32::GuiTest perl library. It is a
                light
                weight but yet powerful module for gui test automation. It works
                pretty
                well with standard Win32 applications.

                I am not going to bother you with details of gui test automation. If
                you
                are interested in finding out more you can check the link
                http://www.piotrkaluski.com/files/winguitest/docs/ch02.html .
                The general idea is that you have to find a window handle of a
                control and
                then send it a right message (via SendMessage).

                The problem with GTK is that when you inspect GTK application with
                spy++,
                all controls have a class name gdkChildWindow. So there is no way to
                figure out what messages should be send to them.
                The question is - do GTK controls inherit from standard Win32
                controls, or
                GTK team created its own controls from scratch?
                Is there any documentation on what messages can be sent to
                gdkChildWindow
                and what are their meanings?

                -Piotr
                </question>

                And this is the answer:

                <answer>
                Piotr Kaluski writes:
                > The question is - do GTK controls inherit from standard Win32
                > controls,

                Nope. No relation at all.

                > or GTK team created its own controls from scratch?

                Of course. That's what GTK *is*, a library of widgets, or "controls"
                in MS-speak.

                > Is there any documentation on what messages can be sent to
                > gdkChildWindow and what are their meanings?

                GTK+ widgets aren't controlled through window messages. Read the GTK+
                documentation.

                --tml
                </answer>

                After thinking a while, I came to the following conclusion and I am
                courious what is your opinion: we should not include GTK support in
                Win32::GuiTest for the same reason we should not include suport for
                Java. One of advantages of Win32::GuiTest (WGT) is its light weight.
                It is also simple to build - you need standard perl and MS compiler
                installation. Should we add GTK support, it will make it more complex.
                Secondly, WGT is based on assumption that you communicate with
                controls using messages. Adding GTK support would make the foundation
                more complex. I believe it would be more clean to have a seperate
                module for testing GTK GUIs. It would also give user a freedom to
                choose if he/she goes or doesn't go with GTK.

                <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:

                > Yeah, the concepts between GTK and Windows based applications is a
                > bit different. If you have control over the GTK application/source-
                > code, you can use "that function" that sets a title for a window
                and
                > use it to uniquely identify the various widgets (buttons, etc.).
                > With that you can do some testing/interaction, but sort of cheesy.
                > Ideally we would have resources to come up with something better.
                :-(

                > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt Stelmar" <kstelmar@c...>
                > wrote:
                > > Yes – I've found the same, and it IS frustrating. I tried
                Winspy
                > as well,
                > > with the same lack of success. I don't have any ideas but I'd
                sure
                > like to
                > > see this capability added.
                > >

                > > Kurt
                > >

                > > _____

              • Steven Lloyd
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 16, 2005
                  In my opinion, I think that it is more important to develop support for
                  more advanced win32 controls like SysTreeView32 and .net support. As an
                  automation tool, most windows applications that you will be automating
                  will be using the standard windows controls.

                  Steve Lloyd
                  http://www.basgetti.com

                  --
                • Gábor Szabó
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 21, 2005
                    On 8/16/05, Piotr Kaluski <pkaluski@...> wrote:

                    > After thinking a while, I came to the following conclusion and I am
                    > courious what is your opinion: we should not include GTK support in
                    > Win32::GuiTest for the same reason we should not include suport for
                    > Java.

                    I also agree that it should be in a separate module but as the subject is
                    related I raised the original issue here as well.

                    As of what is more important as Steven raised,
                    I don't really have a way to compare the two issues.
                    The one you need to test today is more important to you today.
                    Otherwiase they are unrelated.