RE: [perlguitest] Re: Binary -- Install to Perl 5.8.4 without VS?

  • Kurt Stelmar
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 25, 2005
      I have been lurking this group for several months now. This is not a
      request for assistance, rather an enthusiastic communication of appreciation
      and thanks for the fine work that has been done on this.

      As Dave desires to do, I have used this for many, many instances of
      automation and have found it to be a GODSEND for handling the multitude of
      flaws with Windows applications, with the ease and power of perl. Whether
      one likes or dislikes or just doesn't care about Windows, IMHO it's going to
      be a fact of life for the foreseeable future. This little gem makes life
      good again, for those that have to work in the Windows environment and don't
      have the liberty of using full blown installations of Active State.

      To Dave, and all others who see the potential of this for automation: You
      too will wax poetic over the joys to be found. Go forth, be fruitful and
      multiply :-)))))

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 25, 2005
        Kurt,

        Thank you for that enthusiastic reply. I am hoping it will be for me
        the GODSEND it has been for you. :-) I'll let you know how it goes.

        Piotr,

        Thank you for your sarcasm. I used to moderate my own forum, and I
        realize it can be hard. If you have no other outlet, feel free to
        dump on me. I can handle it fine, thanks, and I'll be sure to be
        polite back to you.

        The fact is, I looked at a lot of messages, including the one you
        referenced; but I misunderstood. You see, the readme that comes with
        the 1.50.3-ad version says "If you are using ActivePerl 5.6...you can
        install the binary package I am including instead." It gave me the
        impression that it was an older version for those still using Perl
        5.6, and that you would have a more updated version if you compiled
        your own. There are a number of modules that maintain older versions
        for backward compatibility, and I made an incorrect assumption.
        Maybe that text should be updated to just reference ActiveState Perl,
        and not 5.6 specifically.

        I just installed W32GT and am looking forward to using it.

        Cheers all!
        Dave

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt Stelmar" <kstelmar@c...>
        wrote:
        > I have been lurking this group for several months now. This is not
        > request for assistance, rather an enthusiastic communication of
        appreciation
        > and thanks for the fine work that has been done on this.
        >

        > As Dave desires to do, I have used this for many, many instances of
        > automation and have found it to be a GODSEND for handling the
        multitude of
        > flaws with Windows applications, with the ease and power of perl.
        Whether
        > one likes or dislikes or just doesn't care about Windows, IMHO it's
        going to
        > be a fact of life for the foreseeable future. This little gem makes
        life
        > good again, for those that have to work in the Windows environment
        and don't
        > have the liberty of using full blown installations of Active State.
        >

        > To Dave, and all others who see the potential of this for
        automation: You
        > too will wax poetic over the joys to be found. Go forth, be
        fruitful and
        > multiply :-)))))
        >

        > _____

        subject=Unsubscribe>

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 26, 2005
          Hm... I checked the readme file and yes, you are right. The message
          there may lead to confussion. Especially for people who see the
          module for the first time and as good citizens start from reading
          the readme file.
          The installation section in the readme should be definitelly changed.
          5.8.x is a standard now and binary distributions are created for this
          release. Dennis, Ernesto - what are your opinions?

          Dave, I misunderstood you post. I thought you were talking about
          installing Win32::GuiTest in general, whereas your question was how
          to install it on perl 5.8.4. Please accept my apologies.

        • scrivener90
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 26, 2005
            Piotr,

            No problem. Heck, I was newbie-slapped on CompuServe forums back in
            the late 80's, and again when I first discovered usenet. I've tried
            to do the "right thing" before asking for help for a while now.
            Anyway, no harm done. Apology accepted.

            Dave

            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@p...>