Re: Binary -- Install to Perl 5.8.4 without VS?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24, 2005
      I am guessing that the number of messages you bothered to look at is
      less than or equal 5. My guess is based on the fact that the most
      basic search in the messages for word "install" returns post #929 as
      the 6th one. This post contains detailed explanations on how to get
      and install Win32::GuiTest.

      -Piotr

      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "scrivener90" <dave@d...> wrote:
      > I've seen several messages related to this, but nothing that comes
      out
      > and hits the nail on the head. Is there a binary install of
      > Win32-GuiTest 1.50+ anywhere? I don't have Visual Studio and was
      > hoping to use W32GT for automation purposes, rather than testing an
      > application.
      >
      > ActiveState only has 1.3, which might be fine for getting started,
      but
      > some of the newer features in the documentation look interesting.
      >
      > If this actually has been answered, I apologize.
      >
      > Dave
    • Kurt Stelmar
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 25, 2005
        I have been lurking this group for several months now. This is not a
        request for assistance, rather an enthusiastic communication of appreciation
        and thanks for the fine work that has been done on this.

        As Dave desires to do, I have used this for many, many instances of
        automation and have found it to be a GODSEND for handling the multitude of
        flaws with Windows applications, with the ease and power of perl. Whether
        one likes or dislikes or just doesn't care about Windows, IMHO it's going to
        be a fact of life for the foreseeable future. This little gem makes life
        good again, for those that have to work in the Windows environment and don't
        have the liberty of using full blown installations of Active State.

        To Dave, and all others who see the potential of this for automation: You
        too will wax poetic over the joys to be found. Go forth, be fruitful and
        multiply :-)))))

        _____

        I am guessing that the number of messages you bothered to look at is
        less than or equal 5. My guess is based on the fact that the most
        basic search in the messages for word "install" returns post #929 as
        the 6th one. This post contains detailed explanations on how to get
        and install Win32::GuiTest.

        -Piotr

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "scrivener90" <dave@d...> wrote:
        > I've seen several messages related to this, but nothing that comes
        out
        > and hits the nail on the head. Is there a binary install of
        > Win32-GuiTest 1.50+ anywhere? I don't have Visual Studio and was
        > hoping to use W32GT for automation purposes, rather than testing an
        > application.
        >
        > ActiveState only has 1.3, which might be fine for getting started,
        but
        > some of the newer features in the documentation look interesting.
        >
        > If this actually has been answered, I apologize.
        >
        > Dave

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "perlguitest
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perlguitest> " on the web.

        _____

      • scrivener90
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 25, 2005
          Kurt,

          Thank you for that enthusiastic reply. I am hoping it will be for me
          the GODSEND it has been for you. :-) I'll let you know how it goes.

          Piotr,

          Thank you for your sarcasm. I used to moderate my own forum, and I
          realize it can be hard. If you have no other outlet, feel free to
          dump on me. I can handle it fine, thanks, and I'll be sure to be
          polite back to you.

          The fact is, I looked at a lot of messages, including the one you
          referenced; but I misunderstood. You see, the readme that comes with
          the 1.50.3-ad version says "If you are using ActivePerl 5.6...you can
          install the binary package I am including instead." It gave me the
          impression that it was an older version for those still using Perl
          5.6, and that you would have a more updated version if you compiled
          your own. There are a number of modules that maintain older versions
          for backward compatibility, and I made an incorrect assumption.
          Maybe that text should be updated to just reference ActiveState Perl,
          and not 5.6 specifically.

          I just installed W32GT and am looking forward to using it.

          Cheers all!
          Dave

          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt Stelmar" <kstelmar@c...>
          wrote:
          > I have been lurking this group for several months now. This is not
          > request for assistance, rather an enthusiastic communication of
          appreciation
          > and thanks for the fine work that has been done on this.
          >

          > As Dave desires to do, I have used this for many, many instances of
          > automation and have found it to be a GODSEND for handling the
          multitude of
          > flaws with Windows applications, with the ease and power of perl.
          Whether
          > one likes or dislikes or just doesn't care about Windows, IMHO it's
          going to
          > be a fact of life for the foreseeable future. This little gem makes
          life
          > good again, for those that have to work in the Windows environment
          and don't
          > have the liberty of using full blown installations of Active State.
          >

          > To Dave, and all others who see the potential of this for
          automation: You
          > too will wax poetic over the joys to be found. Go forth, be
          fruitful and
          > multiply :-)))))
          >

          > _____

          subject=Unsubscribe>

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 26, 2005
            Hm... I checked the readme file and yes, you are right. The message
            there may lead to confussion. Especially for people who see the
            module for the first time and as good citizens start from reading
            the readme file.
            The installation section in the readme should be definitelly changed.
            5.8.x is a standard now and binary distributions are created for this
            release. Dennis, Ernesto - what are your opinions?

            Dave, I misunderstood you post. I thought you were talking about
            installing Win32::GuiTest in general, whereas your question was how
            to install it on perl 5.8.4. Please accept my apologies.

          • scrivener90
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 26, 2005
              Piotr,

              No problem. Heck, I was newbie-slapped on CompuServe forums back in
              the late 80's, and again when I first discovered usenet. I've tried
              to do the "right thing" before asking for help for a while now.
              Anyway, no harm done. Apology accepted.

              Dave

              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@p...>