Binary -- Install to Perl 5.8.4 without VS?

  • scrivener90
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24 7:26 AM
      I've seen several messages related to this, but nothing that comes out
      and hits the nail on the head. Is there a binary install of
      Win32-GuiTest 1.50+ anywhere? I don't have Visual Studio and was
      hoping to use W32GT for automation purposes, rather than testing an
      application.

      ActiveState only has 1.3, which might be fine for getting started, but
      some of the newer features in the documentation look interesting.

      If this actually has been answered, I apologize.

      Dave
    • Gábor Szabó
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 24 10:57 AM
        On 7/24/05, scrivener90 <dave@...> wrote:
        > I've seen several messages related to this, but nothing that comes out
        > and hits the nail on the head. Is there a binary install of
        > Win32-GuiTest 1.50+ anywhere? I don't have Visual Studio and was
        > hoping to use W32GT for automation purposes, rather than testing an
        > application.

        within the distro on CPAN there is a compiled version that you can install
        using ppm. Download the distro from CPAN, unzip it, cd to its directory
        and execute

        ppm install Win32-GuiTest.ppd

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 24 11:17 PM
          I am guessing that the number of messages you bothered to look at is
          less than or equal 5. My guess is based on the fact that the most
          basic search in the messages for word "install" returns post #929 as
          the 6th one. This post contains detailed explanations on how to get
          and install Win32::GuiTest.

          -Piotr

          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "scrivener90" <dave@d...> wrote:
          > I've seen several messages related to this, but nothing that comes
          out
          > and hits the nail on the head. Is there a binary install of
          > Win32-GuiTest 1.50+ anywhere? I don't have Visual Studio and was
          > hoping to use W32GT for automation purposes, rather than testing an
          > application.
          >
          > ActiveState only has 1.3, which might be fine for getting started,
          but
          > some of the newer features in the documentation look interesting.
          >
          > If this actually has been answered, I apologize.
          >
          > Dave
        • Kurt Stelmar
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 25 9:27 AM
            I have been lurking this group for several months now. This is not a
            request for assistance, rather an enthusiastic communication of appreciation
            and thanks for the fine work that has been done on this.

            As Dave desires to do, I have used this for many, many instances of
            automation and have found it to be a GODSEND for handling the multitude of
            flaws with Windows applications, with the ease and power of perl. Whether
            one likes or dislikes or just doesn't care about Windows, IMHO it's going to
            be a fact of life for the foreseeable future. This little gem makes life
            good again, for those that have to work in the Windows environment and don't
            have the liberty of using full blown installations of Active State.

            To Dave, and all others who see the potential of this for automation: You
            too will wax poetic over the joys to be found. Go forth, be fruitful and
            multiply :-)))))

            _____

            I am guessing that the number of messages you bothered to look at is
            less than or equal 5. My guess is based on the fact that the most
            basic search in the messages for word "install" returns post #929 as
            the 6th one. This post contains detailed explanations on how to get
            and install Win32::GuiTest.

            -Piotr

            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "scrivener90" <dave@d...> wrote:
            > I've seen several messages related to this, but nothing that comes
            out
            > and hits the nail on the head. Is there a binary install of
            > Win32-GuiTest 1.50+ anywhere? I don't have Visual Studio and was
            > hoping to use W32GT for automation purposes, rather than testing an
            > application.
            >
            > ActiveState only has 1.3, which might be fine for getting started,
            but
            > some of the newer features in the documentation look interesting.
            >
            > If this actually has been answered, I apologize.
            >
            > Dave

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "perlguitest
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perlguitest> " on the web.

            _____

          • scrivener90
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 25 3:55 PM
              Kurt,

              Thank you for that enthusiastic reply. I am hoping it will be for me
              the GODSEND it has been for you. :-) I'll let you know how it goes.

              Piotr,

              Thank you for your sarcasm. I used to moderate my own forum, and I
              realize it can be hard. If you have no other outlet, feel free to
              dump on me. I can handle it fine, thanks, and I'll be sure to be
              polite back to you.

              The fact is, I looked at a lot of messages, including the one you
              referenced; but I misunderstood. You see, the readme that comes with
              the 1.50.3-ad version says "If you are using ActivePerl 5.6...you can
              install the binary package I am including instead." It gave me the
              impression that it was an older version for those still using Perl
              5.6, and that you would have a more updated version if you compiled
              your own. There are a number of modules that maintain older versions
              for backward compatibility, and I made an incorrect assumption.
              Maybe that text should be updated to just reference ActiveState Perl,
              and not 5.6 specifically.

              I just installed W32GT and am looking forward to using it.

              Cheers all!
              Dave

              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt Stelmar" <kstelmar@c...>
              wrote:
              > I have been lurking this group for several months now. This is not
              > request for assistance, rather an enthusiastic communication of
              appreciation
              > and thanks for the fine work that has been done on this.
              >

              > As Dave desires to do, I have used this for many, many instances of
              > automation and have found it to be a GODSEND for handling the
              multitude of
              > flaws with Windows applications, with the ease and power of perl.
              Whether
              > one likes or dislikes or just doesn't care about Windows, IMHO it's
              going to
              > be a fact of life for the foreseeable future. This little gem makes
              life
              > good again, for those that have to work in the Windows environment
              and don't
              > have the liberty of using full blown installations of Active State.
              >

              > To Dave, and all others who see the potential of this for
              automation: You
              > too will wax poetic over the joys to be found. Go forth, be
              fruitful and
              > multiply :-)))))
              >

              > _____

              subject=Unsubscribe>

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 26 12:21 AM
                Hm... I checked the readme file and yes, you are right. The message
                there may lead to confussion. Especially for people who see the
                module for the first time and as good citizens start from reading
                the readme file.
                The installation section in the readme should be definitelly changed.
                5.8.x is a standard now and binary distributions are created for this
                release. Dennis, Ernesto - what are your opinions?

                Dave, I misunderstood you post. I thought you were talking about
                installing Win32::GuiTest in general, whereas your question was how
                to install it on perl 5.8.4. Please accept my apologies.

              • scrivener90
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 26 9:43 AM
                  Piotr,

                  No problem. Heck, I was newbie-slapped on CompuServe forums back in
                  the late 80's, and again when I first discovered usenet. I've tried
                  to do the "right thing" before asking for help for a while now.
                  Anyway, no harm done. Apology accepted.

                  Dave

                  --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@p...>