Web Interface Testing Question

  • seraph_15217
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2002
      Hi all-

      I'm still in the process of learning Perl in general--and completely
      new to the guitest module. I don't know if anyone here can answer my
      question---but perhaps someone can refer me to a reference source or
      even another module.

      Let's say that I want to write a script that will load www.yahoo.com,
      enter the word "bubba" into the search box and click on the "Submit"
      button. Now, I know I can do this by using tab-stops or pixel
      location, but obviously...this wouldn't be the best way to write a
      test script.

      Is there a way for me to get a perl script to recognize a field or
      button on a webpage as a field or button entity?

      Thanks for any advice you can give---and also for your patience with
      my limited knowledge.
    • erngui
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2002

        --- In perlguitest@y..., "seraph_15217" <seraph_15217@y...> wrote:
        [...]
        > button. Now, I know I can do this by using tab-stops or pixel
        > location, but obviously...this wouldn't be the best way to write a
        > test script.
        >
        > Is there a way for me to get a perl script to recognize a field or
        > button on a webpage as a field or button entity?

        If you look at the test code that comes with the module (t/basic.t)
        you'll see how I play some tricks with the windows calculator app.
        The examples in the eg directory should also help you.

        Normally you can look for window by name or by window class. The
        window class can tell you things like "it is an edit box". The window
        name/caption/title will tell you "it is the button called OK".

        If you're afraid that the programmers will change the order of the
        buttons or the names (hence TAB won't work), then the safest thing is
        probably to use keyboard shortcuts. I.e. on IExplorer you can get to
        the address bar you mentioned using ALT+D (A[d]dress). Win32::GuiTest
        allows sending this type of key combination.

        Of course programmers may also change a shortcut, but that is
        normally a bigger change and they will have to tell you about it
        anyway.

        Regards,
        Ernesto.
        --
        Ernesto Guisado
        mailto:erngui@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2002
          Forgot another thing: you can use spy--.pl (in the eg directory) to
          see all the window and window class names you currently have open.

          E.g.:

          +0x00020042, 'Program Manager', Progman
          ++0x0002003E, '', SHELLDLL_DefView
          +++0x0002003A, '', SysListView32
          ++++0x00010058, '', SysHeader32

          The format is handle number, window title, window class. The + signs
          are to help track which ones are child windows.

          -- Ernesto Guisado (mailto:erngui@..., http://triumvir.org)