Logging support with win32::guitest module

  • Sachin Tiwari
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 13, 2005
      Hi All,

      I have just started using this module for CLI[command line interface]
      automation and let me admit that it's been of much use to me till now.
      Now, i am stuck up at a point where i want some logging functions, like
      suppose i execute a command on my telnet window and paste the output to
      a notepad file and save it. That's something what is actual output and
      i would like it to compared with expected output to make the test
      either pass or fail. If somebody can tell me whether we have some
      functions doing the same with Win32::guitest module or do i need to
      make use of other perl packages, it would be a real help.

      Any kind of suggestions/comments relating to the same are most welcome.

      Sachin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 13, 2005
        Interesting question.
        The answer probably depends on the telnet client you have, how is it
        implemented in windows. Is it a text box? If yes then there are
        win32::guitest functions to get a text from a window. Or you can try
        copy-paste path.

        But if you test cli on telnet, then maybe you should consider using
        some other module. Some time ago I have heard about telnet perl
        module. Look it up in www.cpan.org. Don't ask me about features. The
        only thing I know is that it exists and allows to send commands to
        telnet deamon.

        Good luck
        -Piotr

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Sachin Tiwari" <sach_tiw@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > I have just started using this module for CLI[command line
        interface]
        > automation and let me admit that it's been of much use to me till
        now.
        > Now, i am stuck up at a point where i want some logging functions,
        like
        > suppose i execute a command on my telnet window and paste the
        output to
        > a notepad file and save it. That's something what is actual output
        and
        > i would like it to compared with expected output to make the test
        > either pass or fail. If somebody can tell me whether we have some
        > functions doing the same with Win32::guitest module or do i need to
        > make use of other perl packages, it would be a real help.
        >
        > Any kind of suggestions/comments relating to the same are most
        welcome.

        > Sachin
      • Gabor Szabo
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 13, 2005
          On 6/14/05, Sachin Tiwari <sach_tiw@...> wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > I have just started using this module for CLI[command line interface]
          > automation and let me admit that it's been of much use to me till now.

          That's good but I think I would rather use Net::Telnet for CLI automation
          (or Expect if you can run on Linux or Unix).

          Of course I don't know your situation so there might be reasons agains those
          modules (e.g. you are testing the telnet application itself) but I thought
          mentioning them won't hurt.

          regards
          Gabor
        • sachin tiwari
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 14, 2005
            Hi All,

            Thanks a lot for your answers. I got to know a lot.

            Well, i had used Net::Telnet in linux and it all worked as per my requirements.
            Now, i am working on windows and there i am logging into my box[another network device] through secure telnet and executing some commands. My design is that i compare actual output with expected output and that's what decides whether the testcase passes or fails.

            I am still working on the framework part, but i guess i can make use of the log functions provided by STAF[software test automation framework].

            Thanks again for all your inputs, Let's keep the interaction going.

            Regards,
            Sachin Tiwari

            Gabor Szabo <szabgab@...> wrote:
            On 6/14/05, Sachin Tiwari <sach_tiw@...> wrote:
            > Hi All,
            >
            > I have just started using this module for CLI[command line interface]
            > automation and let me admit that it's been of much use to me till now.

            That's good but I think I would rather use Net::Telnet for CLI automation
            (or Expect if you can run on Linux or Unix).

            Of course I don't know your situation so there might be reasons agains those
            modules (e.g. you are testing the telnet application itself) but I thought
            mentioning them won't hurt.

            regards

            The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep -- Robert Frost