Re: Test application

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30 11:11 PM
      <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I tried this application a few weeks ago and a Windows message came
      > up stating I was missing a required DLL.... Therefore, we might
      > want to think about dynamically loading the various controls
      > instead. That way, if a control can not be created we can act
      > accordingly..
      >
      > Regards,
      > Dennis K. Paulsen

      Which dll is missing? On which version of Windows?

      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2005
        Well for me it was Windows XP and one of the MFC*.DLLs. I had no
        development tools installed on this machine, so it won't have the
        numerous DLLs that come with VS... If you could give me an updated
        link to your test application, I can give you the specific details.
        I can also try it on a Windows 95 box.

        Regards,
        Dennis

        Message 3 of 11 , May 1, 2005
          Hi Dennis,
          I've placed it in the files section of this group under file name
          win32-guitest_1.50.3-nt.zip

          <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:

          > Well for me it was Windows XP and one of the MFC*.DLLs. I had no
          > development tools installed on this machine, so it won't have the
          > numerous DLLs that come with VS... If you could give me an updated
          > link to your test application, I can give you the specific details.

          > I can also try it on a Windows 95 box.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Dennis

        • vishal_kharge
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2005
            Hello,

            I tried to run the guitest.exe on my machine, an error was thrown
            regarding DLL.

            Can you please send me the entire application again.

            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2005
              OK,
              I have added new version of my application again in the files section.
              I believe the problem was that the application was compiled in debug
              mode so it was looking for debug version of DLL.
              Current version should look for a standard one. I include a standard
              dll just in case, but please try to run the application without using
              dll attached by me. It will help us to verify, what are the minimal
              requirements for this application. Let me know what was the outcome.
              -Piotr

              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "vishal_kharge"

              Message 6 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                Hello,

                I have run the winguitest.exe with and without dll and it worked fine.

                One question:

                What is the purpose of the controls.t and windows.t file?

                Is it the test scripts for testing the winguitest.exe application?

                Do you have more test scripts related to this application.

                Thanks,
                Vishal Kharge

                Message 7 of 11 , May 6, 2005
                  Those files contain testing functions in a form which is handled by
                  Test::Harness module.
                  In short: Test::Harness expects that it will find files, which contain
                  perl code, which tests something and returns results in a specific
                  format. Test harness filters these results and prints a summary.

                  Please download the recent package from the source forge
                  http://sourceforge.net/projects/winguitest.
                  Unpack it.
                  In order to make Test::Harness use my test application you have to do
                  the following:
                  1. Place winquitest.exe in the module's directory
                  2. Go to module's directory
                  3. Remove everything from "t" subdirectory
                  4. Place "controls.t" and "windows.t" files in "t" subdirectory
                  5. type "perl makefile.pl"
                  6. type "nmake test"

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 10, 2005
                    Just some thoughts. It seems like a good idea to include something
                    like this. Here are a few off-the-top comments about this test
                    application:

                    * Is this GPLed? ReadMe or Help -> About should state if so. I
                    hope it is, then we'll want to add the
                    source into SourceForge, alongside with the module and recorder
                    application.
                    * How does this app look on a 800x600 display? Should be visible on
                    640x480. Might need tab control
                    * Should add all controls that GUITest supports: ListVIew, TreeView,
                    Tab, etc. In various styles
                    * Languages other then English? The recorder doesn't support other
                    languages at the moment, but its a goal down the road.
                    * Data should be more random instead of ItemFive, ItemFour. For
                    various reasons
                    * Name List1 and CheckBox something
                    * Multiple CheckBoxes
                    * Application took 800k of memory. Does that seem odd? Not sure.
                    * Help text or intuitiveness should alert person interacting
                    manually *when* Push Me will get enabled, etc.
                    * Should we have an MDI form also for testing?
                    * Miscelanous -> Miscellaneous
                    * File -> Exit should exit

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 12, 2005
                      See my comments

                      <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:

                      > Just some thoughts. It seems like a good idea to include something
                      > like this. Here are a few off-the-top comments about this test
                      > application:
                      >
                      > * Is this GPLed? ReadMe or Help -> About should state if so. I
                      > hope it is, then we'll want to add the
                      > source into SourceForge, alongside with the module and recorder
                      > application.

                      --> Totaly agree.

                      > * How does this app look on a 800x600 display? Should be visible
                      on
                      > 640x480. Might need tab control

                      --> I have to check. Should we strive that much for 640x480?
                      Is anyone using this resolution nowadays?

                      > * Should add all controls that GUITest supports: ListVIew,
                      TreeView,
                      > Tab, etc. In various styles

                      --> Absolutely. Currently I have no time/knowledge. Can someone help
                      me? Do you have an experienced MFC developer?

                      > * Languages other then English? The recorder doesn't support other
                      > languages at the moment, but its a goal down the road.

                      --> I would first focus on making the whole thing work for English.
                      Having a stable testing framework would help moving to dirrent
                      languages.

                      > * Data should be more random instead of ItemFive, ItemFour. For
                      > various reasons
                      > * Name List1 and CheckBox something
                      > * Multiple CheckBoxes
                      --> Sure. If time allows

                      > * Application took 800k of memory. Does that seem odd? Not sure.
                      --> Don't know. I am not that familiar with windows and MFC

                      > * Help text or intuitiveness should alert person interacting
                      > manually *when* Push Me will get enabled, etc.
                      ---> What do you mean?

                      > * Should we have an MDI form also for testing?
                      > * Miscelanous -> Miscellaneous
                      > * File -> Exit should exit
                      ---> Same comment as for other features

                      I think we should create a prioritized list of todos.