Question about getting started.

  • Ben Rush
    Message 1 of 2 , May 14 12:17 PM

      Alright, I have an interest in doing automated tests now using Perl for Win32. How do I get started? I know VERY LITTLE Perl, but a substantial amount of C,C++, and C#.

      I'm not sure how this whole system of controlling GUIs with Perl works and would like to find out information about how this works, how I implement it, and whether I have to have access to the source code to implement these Perl driven tests.

      Thank you very much,

      Ben

      Ben Rushkwendex@..."What I cannot create, I cannot understand" -Richard P. Feynman

      Do You Yahoo!?
      LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
    • erngui
      Message 2 of 2 , May 17 9:54 AM

        > Alright, I have an interest in doing automated tests now using Perl
        for Win32. How do I get started? I know VERY LITTLE Perl, but a
        substantial amount of C,C++, and C#.

        That's fine the basics are quite straightforward once you get used to
        all the $ and @...

        > I'm not sure how this whole system of controlling GUIs with Perl
        works and would like to find out information about how this works,
        how I implement it, and whether I have to have access to the source
        code to implement these Perl driven tests.

        The source code comes with the distribution (see the files section in
        this group). Part of it is Perl and another part is C/C++. If you
        don't have a C++ compiler you can use PPM (just type 'ppm' from a DOS
        window) to install the binary version that also comes with the
        distribution.

        The 'eg' subdirectory of the distribution has several interesting
        examples that show how to use it. The 't' subdirectory (or the
        test.pl file in older distributions) contains some tests that you can
        also use as examples.

        You'll need to have the Win32 version of Perl installed. And you'll
        need to now how to run Perl scripts.

        Regards,
        Ernesto.
        --