Test application

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 15, 2005
      Some time ago I mentioned that it would be good to have a test
      application, which would be created only for being a target for tested
      WGT functions.
      I have finally managed to create it. You can download a zip file from
      here www.piotrkaluski.com/tools/winguitest/win32-guitest_1.50.3-nt.zip
      (nt stands for "new tests"). You will find 2 *.t files there - one for
      testing windowing and identification functions, and one for testing
      controls. A test suite is by no means complete and finished. It also
      contains executable, which is an application which hosts controls used
      for tests (winguitest.exe). This application should be placed in the
      same directory from which you launch "nmake test".

      Why do I think it is worth to switch to testing on such specialy
      crafted application?
      The main reason is ease of maintainance. It is quaranteed that the
      application will always use the same controls and will have the same
      windows hierarchy. It will change only if we want it. So if we write
      tests for Win2K, we have big chances our tests will pass for WinXP,
      WinNT, Win98. If we use M$ tools like notepad or calculator, we never
      know what would be window hierarchy in the next release of the
      system.
      It also gives us better control on what we test since we can design
      the test application in a way that it will help in more sophisticated
      tests.

      I still consider tests of notepad or calculator really important. But
      they should not be a part of core set of unit tests, because they will
      require additional maintance and they will be posibly breaking after
      every release of M$ Windows. I thing these kind of tests should go to
      example directory.

      And what do you think?

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 29, 2005
        Hello,

        I tried this application a few weeks ago and a Windows message came
        up stating I was missing a required DLL.... Therefore, we might
        want to think about dynamically loading the various controls
        instead. That way, if a control can not be created we can act
        accordingly..

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 30, 2005
          <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > I tried this application a few weeks ago and a Windows message came
          > up stating I was missing a required DLL.... Therefore, we might
          > want to think about dynamically loading the various controls
          > instead. That way, if a control can not be created we can act
          > accordingly..
          >
          > Regards,
          > Dennis K. Paulsen

          Which dll is missing? On which version of Windows?

          Message 4 of 11 , May 1, 2005
            Well for me it was Windows XP and one of the MFC*.DLLs. I had no
            development tools installed on this machine, so it won't have the
            numerous DLLs that come with VS... If you could give me an updated
            link to your test application, I can give you the specific details.
            I can also try it on a Windows 95 box.

            Regards,
            Dennis

            Message 5 of 11 , May 1, 2005
              Hi Dennis,
              I've placed it in the files section of this group under file name
              win32-guitest_1.50.3-nt.zip

              <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:

              > Well for me it was Windows XP and one of the MFC*.DLLs. I had no
              > development tools installed on this machine, so it won't have the
              > numerous DLLs that come with VS... If you could give me an updated
              > link to your test application, I can give you the specific details.

              > I can also try it on a Windows 95 box.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Dennis

            • vishal_kharge
              Message 6 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                Hello,

                I tried to run the guitest.exe on my machine, an error was thrown
                regarding DLL.

                Can you please send me the entire application again.

                Message 7 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                  OK,
                  I have added new version of my application again in the files section.
                  I believe the problem was that the application was compiled in debug
                  mode so it was looking for debug version of DLL.
                  Current version should look for a standard one. I include a standard
                  dll just in case, but please try to run the application without using
                  dll attached by me. It will help us to verify, what are the minimal
                  requirements for this application. Let me know what was the outcome.
                  -Piotr

                  --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "vishal_kharge"

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                    Hello,

                    I have run the winguitest.exe with and without dll and it worked fine.

                    One question:

                    What is the purpose of the controls.t and windows.t file?

                    Is it the test scripts for testing the winguitest.exe application?

                    Do you have more test scripts related to this application.

                    Thanks,
                    Vishal Kharge

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 6, 2005
                      Those files contain testing functions in a form which is handled by
                      Test::Harness module.
                      In short: Test::Harness expects that it will find files, which contain
                      perl code, which tests something and returns results in a specific
                      format. Test harness filters these results and prints a summary.

                      Please download the recent package from the source forge
                      http://sourceforge.net/projects/winguitest.
                      Unpack it.
                      In order to make Test::Harness use my test application you have to do
                      the following:
                      1. Place winquitest.exe in the module's directory
                      2. Go to module's directory
                      3. Remove everything from "t" subdirectory
                      4. Place "controls.t" and "windows.t" files in "t" subdirectory
                      5. type "perl makefile.pl"
                      6. type "nmake test"

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 10, 2005
                        Just some thoughts. It seems like a good idea to include something
                        like this. Here are a few off-the-top comments about this test
                        application:

                        * Is this GPLed? ReadMe or Help -> About should state if so. I
                        hope it is, then we'll want to add the
                        source into SourceForge, alongside with the module and recorder
                        application.
                        * How does this app look on a 800x600 display? Should be visible on
                        640x480. Might need tab control
                        * Should add all controls that GUITest supports: ListVIew, TreeView,
                        Tab, etc. In various styles
                        * Languages other then English? The recorder doesn't support other
                        languages at the moment, but its a goal down the road.
                        * Data should be more random instead of ItemFive, ItemFour. For
                        various reasons
                        * Name List1 and CheckBox something
                        * Multiple CheckBoxes
                        * Application took 800k of memory. Does that seem odd? Not sure.
                        * Help text or intuitiveness should alert person interacting
                        manually *when* Push Me will get enabled, etc.
                        * Should we have an MDI form also for testing?
                        * Miscelanous -> Miscellaneous
                        * File -> Exit should exit

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 12, 2005
                          See my comments

                          <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:

                          > Just some thoughts. It seems like a good idea to include something
                          > like this. Here are a few off-the-top comments about this test
                          > application:
                          >
                          > * Is this GPLed? ReadMe or Help -> About should state if so. I
                          > hope it is, then we'll want to add the
                          > source into SourceForge, alongside with the module and recorder
                          > application.

                          --> Totaly agree.

                          > * How does this app look on a 800x600 display? Should be visible
                          on
                          > 640x480. Might need tab control

                          --> I have to check. Should we strive that much for 640x480?
                          Is anyone using this resolution nowadays?

                          > * Should add all controls that GUITest supports: ListVIew,
                          TreeView,
                          > Tab, etc. In various styles

                          --> Absolutely. Currently I have no time/knowledge. Can someone help
                          me? Do you have an experienced MFC developer?

                          > * Languages other then English? The recorder doesn't support other
                          > languages at the moment, but its a goal down the road.

                          --> I would first focus on making the whole thing work for English.
                          Having a stable testing framework would help moving to dirrent
                          languages.

                          > * Data should be more random instead of ItemFive, ItemFour. For
                          > various reasons
                          > * Name List1 and CheckBox something
                          > * Multiple CheckBoxes
                          --> Sure. If time allows

                          > * Application took 800k of memory. Does that seem odd? Not sure.
                          --> Don't know. I am not that familiar with windows and MFC

                          > * Help text or intuitiveness should alert person interacting
                          > manually *when* Push Me will get enabled, etc.
                          ---> What do you mean?

                          > * Should we have an MDI form also for testing?
                          > * Miscelanous -> Miscellaneous
                          > * File -> Exit should exit
                          ---> Same comment as for other features

                          I think we should create a prioritized list of todos.