Re: [perlguitest] Digest Number 303

  • tom coleman
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 18, 2005
      short version:
      I am a resource to help, frankly I fear making the first steps in contributing.
      Can somebody hold my hand for the first few cycles?
      thanks, tom

      long version:

      I got a bit long winded here, sorry in advance.

      here's what might help me:

      - a set of features to implement
      - a mentor to guide my efforts
      - get this working, then publish it here
      - get a test for that working, put it there
      - a mentor to answer frequent questions
      - pre merge testing,
      - how to update help docs
      - how to publish code
      - a deadline to work to

      maybe a past contributor could give their 400 word essay on how to
      contribute. I hope the focus is not so much the nuts and bolts, but
      more on the motivation, challenges, where the bottle necks are, how it
      evolved after other guys started using it.

      so... some guy advertise a feature to be done, a few folks respond
      wanting to participate, suggesting what parts they could do. tests
      are written ( that all fail ). components are stubbed out, DLLs are
      made. have deadlines where if something isn't done then it is picked
      up by another. we all get busy some times.

      focus on progress, no blaming or excuses allowed. get stuff working,
      overcome problems, and move on to the next.

      > Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:29:39 -0000
      > From: "Dennis K. Paulsen" <ctrondlpaulsden@...>
      >
      > We have enough of these good ideas to fill a
      > small book, but insufficient resources to do the work (it seems).
      > Thoughts?
      >
      > -D

    • Gabor Szabo
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18, 2005
        Hi Tom,

        I am not really sure what are you looking for here but let me
        try to help

        On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, tom coleman wrote:

        > - a set of features to implement
        It is usually the best if you decide which feature you are
        interested in/capable to implement. If not then I'd suggest
        starting with the

        "Retrieve the list of the menu of a given window."

        from the TODO list in the docs. (see also)

        http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/winguitest/Win32-GuiTest/readme?view=markup

        If I remember correctly this is a feature I started to improve but then
        have not really finished it.
        While this might not be the most important feature I think it
        is relatively easy to improve.

        > - a mentor to guide my efforts
        > - get this working, then publish it here
        > - get a test for that working, put it there
        > - a mentor to answer frequent questions
        > - pre merge testing,
        > - how to update help docs
        > - how to publish code

        > - a deadline to work to
        This is Open Source. No deadlines here. Just do it.

        How to help:
        ------------
        read the DEVELOPMENT entry from the docs (see the above link)
        for the latest. I added this entry in order to make it easier
        for future developers to get started. There might be unclear or
        incorrect things in there, feel free to ask if something is
        not clear or not correct. Once you get the answer you'll be able
        to fix the text and send patches.

        Once you have a small fix
        (e.g. for the DEVELOPMENT part of the documentation)
        please send a patch to Dennis or me.
        It is better to send each small change on its own. It makes
        it easier to look it over and decide if to accept it or not.

        Sending patches:
        -----------------
        Basically you check out the cvs tree twice to old_dir and new_dir.
        old_dir you don't touch.
        new_dir where you make the changes

        After you mad the changes (and tested them if they are code changes)

        Then run
        diff -urN old_dir new_dir > some_patch.diff

        check if some_patch.diff indeed contains the change you made
        and nothing else.

        Send the file with some explanation to

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 18, 2005
          Although I did not deliver any code yet, I think I can help by writing
          some introduction to how projects on source forge work.

          The core of each project is a version control system. The purpose of
          such a systems is to help development team to keep track of what,
          when, why and by whom was changed. Source Forge uses CVS.
          Check this link : http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=104592.
          There are some brief explanations there on how to use CVS and a link
          "Browse CVS repository" which allows you to view the contents of CVS
          using web browser. You can also follow some documentation links placed
          there to acquire more knowledge. Be warned - CVS does have a learning
          curve. Also, if you have never heard about version control systems, it
          may take some time to understand the main concepts. Don't try to
          understand everything on the beginning.

          Each project on Source Forge (SF) has administrator(s) and developers.
          Administrator manages the project's web site and deals with all issues
          related to project such as releasing new versions of modules.
          Developers can modify the code. This is very general. Administrator
          may manipulate privileges of particular developers.

          You can check on
          http://sourceforge.net/project/memberlist.php?group_id=104592 what are
          the members of the project.

          How to participate the code?
          I did not observed any crystalized rules of cooperation in this group
          so we can together set them up.
          The text below are my suggestions. If you don't like the idea, feel
          free to comment.
          As I am looking at CVS logs, it seems that the only active members of
          development team are Gabor and Dennis. Therefore I recommend that at
          least on the beginning all new code is send to them. Moreover, since
          the traffic in this group is not that big, all the new code may be
          posted here so people have a chance to comment before the code is
          posted (checked in) to the CVS. Gabor's and Dennis's duty would be to
          checkin the approved code and to make sure that a credit is given to a
          person delivering the code.

          Before posting any code, it would be good if you run the test suite
          (nmake test) to make sure that your changes did not break existing
          code. If you are about adding new feature, think about adding new test
          for this feature.

          That's it for the beginning.
          It does take some time to understand all tools and rules used in Open
          Source projects. So don't get frustrated that you don't understand
          everything.
          Skim SF documentation http://sourceforge.net/docman/?group_id=1.
          You can also read ESR TAOUP chapter on Open Source projects:
          http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/opensourcechapter.html

          Hope that helps.

          -Piotr

          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, tom coleman <tom.g.coleman@g...>
          wrote:

          > short version:
          > I am a resource to help, frankly I fear making the first steps in
          contributing.
          > Can somebody hold my hand for the first few cycles?
          > thanks, tom

        • liu xiaolei
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 24, 2005
            I use GUI perl . How to show desktop with function or
            other methods?

            thanks a lot!

            guguqiaqia

            150万曲MP3疯狂搜,带您闯入音乐殿堂
            http://music.yisou.com/
            美女明星应有尽有,搜遍美图、艳图和酷图
            http://image.yisou.com
            1G就是1000兆,雅虎电邮自助扩容!
            http://cn.rd.yahoo.com/mail_cn/tag/1g/*http://cn.mail.yahoo.com/event/mail_1g/
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 6, 2005
              You could use the following that simulates a Win-d

              SendRawKey(VK_LWIN, 0);
              SendKeys('d');
              SendRawKey(VK_LWIN, KEYEVENTF_KEYUP)

              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, liu xiaolei <guguqiaqia@y...>