Re: 4Test Style

  • ctrondlpaulsden
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 20, 2002
      --- In perlguitest@y..., "huazhi_ca" <huazhi_ca@y...> wrote:

      > Hi folks,
      >
      > Let's see a raise of hands for all whom have used QA Partner or
      Silk? I think this is a great product. However it like $4000, and
      many employers may not want to pay for it.

      > I like how they structure the API, e.g.
      parentwin.childwin.dialog.button.click(), etc. For those of you
      unfamilar, they define a whole class hierarchy that allows you to
      interact with the interface. You must though first define a
      template, such as which buttons, names, etc. are what, and a nice
      name you want to call it. So you can call your Save button ...
      well ... Save, and thus have SaveAsDialog.Save.Click(). Each control
      or GUI element has a whole set of methods that you can control.
      Another nice thing about the template, is that it can be
      conditional. So if you support multiple languages, Open can
      be "Abrir", "Aprire", "Aprir", etc.

      > One of the most powerful things though are these base states, which
      are like constructors, except for the GUI. If a window or set of
      windows needs to be open, before you can do the test, a base state
      can call other class methods, which then can call other class methods
      depending on its base state and so on.

      > Well. If GUItest becomes object oriented and we can hack at the
      GUI some more to do more things, then perhaps we can create a class
      structure like similar to this. We can define templates in XML, but
      do not require them, for those that like to do things manually.

      Err.., "parentwin.childwin.dialog.button.click()". Ouch!

      As time permits, Ernesto should have some nice additions coming
      soon. Ernesto, I would be happy to beta test anything you have
      coming. I know you have a day job, how are things progressing with
      this project?
    • huazhi_ca
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 21, 2002
        > Err.., "parentwin.childwin.dialog.button.click()". Ouch!
        >
        > As time permits, Ernesto should have some nice additions coming
        > soon. Ernesto, I would be happy to beta test anything you have
        > coming. I know you have a day job, how are things progressing with
        > this project?

        Sign me up. I can be a beta tester as well. :->

        Plus, I have a day job, but I am a whitebox QA tester. So I can
        possible test some things out, and get paid to do it?!? ^_^
      • erngui
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 24, 2002
          Hi,

          --- In perlguitest@y..., "ctrondlpaulsden" <ctrondlp@n...> wrote:
          [...]
          > As time permits, Ernesto should have some nice additions coming
          > soon. Ernesto, I would be happy to beta test anything you have
          > coming. I know you have a day job, how are things progressing with
          > this project?

          It's going slower than I would like it to...

          I'm thinking about releasing an intermediate version that's mostly
          done already in case people are getting impatient. It would contain
          mostly some submissions from nice people in this group and elsewhere,
          but also some functionality I've taken over from another module I
          wrote some time ago (mostly for automating admin kind tasks).

          And thanks for the beta test offer, that's always useful.

          Regards,
          Ernesto.
          --
          Ernesto Guisado
          mailto:erngui@...
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 24, 2002
            Hi,

            --- In perlguitest@y..., "huazhi_ca" <huazhi_ca@y...> wrote:
            [...]
            > I like how they structure the API, e.g.
            parentwin.childwin.dialog.button.click(), etc. For those of you

            Looks a bit like Smalltalk. In that language every method by default
            returns the object you're using it on, so that you can chain or
            cascade methods.

            The problem is when one of the methods fails. You really need
            something like exceptions to make it work.

            >Another nice thing about the template, is that it can be
            conditional. So if you support multiple languages, Open can
            be "Abrir", "Aprire", "Aprir", etc.

            That sounds interesting. I spent some time as Software Localizer and
            scripting apps in different languages is always a bit of a pain.

            Would be nice to have some international support build into GuiTest.
            Must think about it...

            Regards,
            Ernesto.
            --