Re: [perlguitest] Expanding Win32::GuiTest on web testing and java testing

  • Gabor Szabo
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
      On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, pkaluski wrote:

      > Hi,
      > When looking on TODO sections in the code and in the feature requests
      > on source forge I found that you consider expanding GuiTest to handle
      > web and java testing.

      For we testing there is Win32::IE::Mechanize and if you don't need to
      be IE specific then WWW::Mechanize. I think it would be better
      to help improving that and then maybe integrating them in some external
      interface rather than putting everythin in here.
      Or was there some other idea behind the web testing ?

      Regarding Java, I guess that should also be a separate module -
      IIRC the Java stuff is the same on any platform. Maybe it should
      actually work in Java and have a Perl binding through Inline::Java

      Gabor
    • Carl Nagle
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
        Tom Coleman's suggested module:

        - Parse & Run
        Another to read a key word flat text file of input and figures out what to do with each command. I think several of us have invented our own interpreters, created code to parse and do some action, so we may have some clear requirements for a common module.

        If you are willing to consider a pseudo-standard on such a model, that is what SAFSDEV provides.
        We have a defined text file format and even a defined set of keywords (always expanding).
        http://safsdev.sourceforge.net/sqabasic2000/RRAFSReference.htm

        We have the Java-based parsers and interpretters already available and a WIN32::GUITest "Engine" can readily be plugged into this through STAF and our defined cross-tool communication protocol. (This allows the Java parser/interpretter to tell the Perl GUITest what it is supposed to do.)

        When SAFSDEV is ready to implement Win32 keyword-based functionality we will be potentially implementing this WIN32::GUITest 'Engine' as described above. Of course, if we have Perl gurus willing to contribute to that effort sooner we will welcome the help.

        Carl Nagle
        SAS, http://www.sas.com
        Project Manager, SAFSDEV
        http://safsdev.sourceforge.net