4Test Style

  • huazhi_ca
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 20, 2002
      Hi folks,

      Let's see a raise of hands for all whom have used QA Partner or Silk? I think this is a great product. However it like $4000, and many employers may not want to pay for it.

      I like how they structure the API, e.g. parentwin.childwin.dialog.button.click(), etc. For those of you unfamilar, they define a whole class hierarchy that allows you to interact with the interface. You must though first define a template, such as which buttons, names, etc. are what, and a nice name you want to call it. So you can call your Save button ... well ... Save, and thus have SaveAsDialog.Save.Click(). Each control or GUI element has a whole set of methods that you can control. Another nice thing about the template, is that it can be conditional. So if you support multiple languages, Open can be "Abrir", "Aprire", "Aprir", etc.

      One of the most powerful things though are these base states, which are like constructors, except for the GUI. If a window or set of windows needs to be open, before you can do the test, a base state can call other class methods, which then can call other class methods depending on its base state and so on.

      Well. If GUItest becomes object oriented and we can hack at the GUI some more to do more things, then perhaps we can create a class structure like similar to this. We can define templates in XML, but do not require them, for those that like to do things manually.
    • ctrondlpaulsden
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 20, 2002
        --- In perlguitest@y..., "huazhi_ca" <huazhi_ca@y...> wrote:

        > Hi folks,
        >
        > Let's see a raise of hands for all whom have used QA Partner or
        Silk? I think this is a great product. However it like $4000, and
        many employers may not want to pay for it.

        > I like how they structure the API, e.g.
        parentwin.childwin.dialog.button.click(), etc. For those of you
        unfamilar, they define a whole class hierarchy that allows you to
        interact with the interface. You must though first define a
        template, such as which buttons, names, etc. are what, and a nice
        name you want to call it. So you can call your Save button ...
        well ... Save, and thus have SaveAsDialog.Save.Click(). Each control
        or GUI element has a whole set of methods that you can control.
        Another nice thing about the template, is that it can be
        conditional. So if you support multiple languages, Open can
        be "Abrir", "Aprire", "Aprir", etc.

        > One of the most powerful things though are these base states, which
        are like constructors, except for the GUI. If a window or set of
        windows needs to be open, before you can do the test, a base state
        can call other class methods, which then can call other class methods
        depending on its base state and so on.

        > Well. If GUItest becomes object oriented and we can hack at the
        GUI some more to do more things, then perhaps we can create a class
        structure like similar to this. We can define templates in XML, but
        do not require them, for those that like to do things manually.

        Err.., "parentwin.childwin.dialog.button.click()". Ouch!

        As time permits, Ernesto should have some nice additions coming
        soon. Ernesto, I would be happy to beta test anything you have
        coming. I know you have a day job, how are things progressing with
        this project?
      • huazhi_ca
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 21, 2002
          > Err.., "parentwin.childwin.dialog.button.click()". Ouch!
          >
          > As time permits, Ernesto should have some nice additions coming
          > soon. Ernesto, I would be happy to beta test anything you have
          > coming. I know you have a day job, how are things progressing with
          > this project?

          Sign me up. I can be a beta tester as well. :->

          Plus, I have a day job, but I am a whitebox QA tester. So I can
          possible test some things out, and get paid to do it?!? ^_^
        • erngui
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 24, 2002

            --- In perlguitest@y..., "ctrondlpaulsden" <ctrondlp@n...> wrote:
            [...]
            > As time permits, Ernesto should have some nice additions coming
            > soon. Ernesto, I would be happy to beta test anything you have
            > coming. I know you have a day job, how are things progressing with
            > this project?

            It's going slower than I would like it to...

            I'm thinking about releasing an intermediate version that's mostly
            done already in case people are getting impatient. It would contain
            mostly some submissions from nice people in this group and elsewhere,
            but also some functionality I've taken over from another module I
            wrote some time ago (mostly for automating admin kind tasks).

            And thanks for the beta test offer, that's always useful.

            Regards,
            Ernesto.
            --
            Ernesto Guisado
            mailto:erngui@...
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 24, 2002

              --- In perlguitest@y..., "huazhi_ca" <huazhi_ca@y...> wrote:
              [...]
              > I like how they structure the API, e.g.
              parentwin.childwin.dialog.button.click(), etc. For those of you

              Looks a bit like Smalltalk. In that language every method by default
              returns the object you're using it on, so that you can chain or
              cascade methods.

              The problem is when one of the methods fails. You really need
              something like exceptions to make it work.

              >Another nice thing about the template, is that it can be
              conditional. So if you support multiple languages, Open can
              be "Abrir", "Aprire", "Aprir", etc.

              That sounds interesting. I spent some time as Software Localizer and
              scripting apps in different languages is always a bit of a pain.

              Would be nice to have some international support build into GuiTest.
              Must think about it...

              Regards,
              Ernesto.
              --