Expanding Win32::GuiTest on web testing and java testing

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
      When looking on TODO sections in the code and in the feature requests
      on source forge I found that you consider expanding GuiTest to handle
      web and java testing.
      I have mixed feelings about it. There are many free tools already
      available. Secondly, it would be technically a big think to implement.
      As a result the module would significantly grow.
      IMHO it would be more efficient if we focus on making Win32::GuiTest
      really good in testing Win32 gui applications. If the module is well
      designed with clear interface it should not be difficult to integrate
      it with another well written tool for testing web or java.
      Just my 5 cents.

      -Piotr
    • Carl Nagle
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
        In a way I tend to agree with Piotr. In another I tend to think of users in the future.

        For example, our SAFSDEV project uses a host of tools for different environments. Currently we are in the process of integrating the use of Abbot for Java testing in addition to the Rational Robot and Rational XDE Tester tools already supported.

        WIN32::GUITest is in our sights for non-Web/non-Java clients, but the addition of web and Java support within this module will not provide any added value since other tools are already in place for web and Java testing.

        Of course, that is easy for us to say right now because we already have those other tools.

        Surely it would seem like a dream come true had we run across an opensource tool -- perhaps some future PerlGUITest -- that handled Web, Java, and Win32 all within one robust and mature framework.

        In some ways, that is what we at SAFSDEV hope to indirectly provide. But we aren't really designing our own testing tools for these environments. We are designing a keyword-based infrastructure that allows us to use whatever tools are already out there. So we will be able to provide Web and Java and Win32 testing within one framework, but underneath it will be tools like Rational Robot, Rational XDE Tester, Mercury's WinRunner, Abbot, JRex, and WIN32GUITest getting the job done.

        It's easy to say "don't" now, but imagine how happy we'd be if it were already there.

        Carl Nagle
        SAS, http://www.sas.com
        Project Manager, SAFSDEV
        http://safsdev.sourceforge.net

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
          On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, pkaluski wrote:

          > Hi,
          > When looking on TODO sections in the code and in the feature requests
          > on source forge I found that you consider expanding GuiTest to handle
          > web and java testing.

          For we testing there is Win32::IE::Mechanize and if you don't need to
          be IE specific then WWW::Mechanize. I think it would be better
          to help improving that and then maybe integrating them in some external
          interface rather than putting everythin in here.
          Or was there some other idea behind the web testing ?

          Regarding Java, I guess that should also be a separate module -
          IIRC the Java stuff is the same on any platform. Maybe it should
          actually work in Java and have a Perl binding through Inline::Java

          Gabor
        • Carl Nagle
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
            Tom Coleman's suggested module:

            - Parse & Run
            Another to read a key word flat text file of input and figures out what to do with each command. I think several of us have invented our own interpreters, created code to parse and do some action, so we may have some clear requirements for a common module.

            If you are willing to consider a pseudo-standard on such a model, that is what SAFSDEV provides.
            We have a defined text file format and even a defined set of keywords (always expanding).
            http://safsdev.sourceforge.net/sqabasic2000/RRAFSReference.htm

            We have the Java-based parsers and interpretters already available and a WIN32::GUITest "Engine" can readily be plugged into this through STAF and our defined cross-tool communication protocol. (This allows the Java parser/interpretter to tell the Perl GUITest what it is supposed to do.)

            When SAFSDEV is ready to implement Win32 keyword-based functionality we will be potentially implementing this WIN32::GUITest 'Engine' as described above. Of course, if we have Perl gurus willing to contribute to that effort sooner we will welcome the help.