Future of Win32::GuiTest

  • Ernesto Guisado
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2005
      Hi all,

      I haven't much time to maintain the module anymore. I used to, at
      least, have time to integrate new changes donated by other people.
      But I can't even do that anymore.

      So, I'm more than happy for other people to take on a more central
      role in the development of the module. Some of you have already done
      so by contributing to Dennis' distribution.

      So here's a proposal:
      1. Rename the alternate distribution on SourceForge as "the
      distribution".
      2. I give developers of the distribution co-maintainer status in CPAN
      to allow them to upload new distributions theselves.
      3. Encourage people to join the SF distribution as best way to
      contribute to GuiTest.

      Would this help? Volunteers?

      Thanks,
      Ernesto.
      --
      http://triumvir.org
    • Gabor Szabo
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2005
        Hi Ernesto and the rest of the crowd,

        On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Ernesto Guisado wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I haven't much time to maintain the module anymore. I used to, at
        > least, have time to integrate new changes donated by other people.
        > But I can't even do that anymore.

        first of all let me thank you for starting the module and releasing
        it to CPAN. It certainly brought me some work and solution for problems.

        > So, I'm more than happy for other people to take on a more central
        > role in the development of the module. Some of you have already done
        > so by contributing to Dennis' distribution.

        > Would this help? Volunteers?

        I for one would be glad to see the currend AD change its name to be
        the official release. While my current schedule does not let me
        help more than the mailing list modertation (together with Piotr),
        I'd be glad to help again once I have more time for this project.

        In the meantim I hope Dennis will be able to releas the module and
        other will start to send in patches. And tests. Please send test !

        Regards and thanks again

        Gabor
      • Chris Hilton
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2005
          Your proposal sounds good to me and I'd like to start volunteering again. I
          tried contributing some before, but never really got in the loop, probably
          because I'm not very familiar with SourceForge. How does one get notified
          about the various goings-on (new bugs, feature requests, etc.)? How are we
          supposed to communicate? I kind of got lost before, but would still like to
          contribute.

          Chris Hilton

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2005
            Ernesto,
            Your e-mail was really important.

            I would like to thank you for all the good work you have done so far -
            for creating the module, for giving the foundation for the community
            gathered around it. And finaly - that you leave with grace, allowing
            the Open Source community to benefit from your work and to
            continuously improve it.
            I hope that one day GuiTest will become a serious alternative for
            commercial tools.

            Once again - many thanks and good luck!

            -Piotr

            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Ernesto Guisado" <erngui@a...>
            wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > I haven't much time to maintain the module anymore. I used to, at
            > least, have time to integrate new changes donated by other people.
            > But I can't even do that anymore.
            >
            > So, I'm more than happy for other people to take on a more central
            > role in the development of the module. Some of you have already
            done
            > so by contributing to Dennis' distribution.
            >
            > So here's a proposal:
            > 1. Rename the alternate distribution on SourceForge as "the
            > distribution".
            > 2. I give developers of the distribution co-maintainer status in
            CPAN
            > to allow them to upload new distributions theselves.
            > 3. Encourage people to join the SF distribution as best way to
            > contribute to GuiTest.
            >
            > Would this help? Volunteers?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Ernesto.
            > --
            > http://triumvir.org
          • Gabor Szabo
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2005
              On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Chris Hilton wrote:

              > Your proposal sounds good to me and I'd like to start volunteering again. I
              > tried contributing some before, but never really got in the loop, probably
              > because I'm not very familiar with SourceForge. How does one get notified
              > about the various goings-on (new bugs, feature requests, etc.)? How are we
              > supposed to communicate? I kind of got lost before, but would still like to
              > contribute.

              We don't have any communication channels setup, we used to exchange a
              couple of e-mails with Dennies. For the time being I think you should
              send the development related stuff here and then if it gets too
              big we'll setup a mailing list on Sourceforge.

              Even though it was not used much earlier on
              http://sourceforge.net/projects/winguitest/
              you'll find a place to submit bug reports and feature requests.

              There is also a list that you can use to follow the
              commits to the CVS repository.

              http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=104592