Win32-GuiTest v1.50.3-ad (Release)

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2005
      Announcement:
      Win32-GuiTest v1.50.3-ad released. Available at
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/winguitest or
      http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Win32/Win32-GuiTest-1.50.3-
      ad.zip

      Change-Log:
      1.50.3-ad Wed Feb 02 17:42:00 2005

      - Add more examles in eg directory (SZABGAB)
      - Tests using Test::More now (SZABGAB)
      - Some more documentation (SZABGAB)
      - Explanation how to setup development environment (SZABGAB)
      - A number of new exported methods regarding Menu items
      such as GetMenuItemInfo
      - Added support for some 32bit controls: GetListViewContents,
      SelListViewItem, SelListViewItemText, GetTabItems,
      SelTabItem, SelTabItemText, SelTreeViewItemPath (CTRONDLP)
      - Added basic mouse wheel support: MouseMoveWheel (CTRONDLP)
      - Added IsListViewItemSel and IsTabItemSel (CTRONDLP)
      - Updated SetFocus routine with AttachWin code (CTRONDLP)

      Easy Installation Using PPM (i.e. ActiveState):
      1) Unzip ZIP file
      2) Issue 'ppm install Win32-GuiTest.ppd' in package directory

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2005
        Hi Denis,
        I think the module is mature enough to announce it in
        comp.lang.perl.announce. It would be a good way to increase module's
        visibility.

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2005
          I think we should consider creating an application, which would be a
          target for Win32::GuiTest unit tests. Relying on notepad or other M$
          stuff is risky, because these applications change too often.
          It would be easier to maintain tests if we have one application, which
          hosts most of controls we would like to test.

          -Piotr

          PS: By the way - do all tests from the most recent release pass on
          your PCs? I have 4 of them failing.

          <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:

          > Announcement:
          > Win32-GuiTest v1.50.3-ad released. Available at
          > http://sourceforge.net/projects/winguitest or
          > http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Win32/Win32-GuiTest-1.50.3-
          > ad.zip
          >
          > Change-Log:
          > 1.50.3-ad Wed Feb 02 17:42:00 2005
          >
          > - Add more examles in eg directory (SZABGAB)
          > - Tests using Test::More now (SZABGAB)
          > - Some more documentation (SZABGAB)
          > - Explanation how to setup development environment (SZABGAB)
          > - A number of new exported methods regarding Menu items
          > such as GetMenuItemInfo
          > - Added support for some 32bit controls: GetListViewContents,
          > SelListViewItem, SelListViewItemText, GetTabItems,
          > SelTabItem, SelTabItemText, SelTreeViewItemPath (CTRONDLP)
          > - Added basic mouse wheel support: MouseMoveWheel (CTRONDLP)
          > - Added IsListViewItemSel and IsTabItemSel (CTRONDLP)
          > - Updated SetFocus routine with AttachWin code (CTRONDLP)
          >
          > Easy Installation Using PPM (i.e. ActiveState):
          > 1) Unzip ZIP file
          > 2) Issue 'ppm install Win32-GuiTest.ppd' in package directory

        • Gabor Szabo
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2005
            On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, pkaluski wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I think we should consider creating an application, which would be a
            > target for Win32::GuiTest unit tests. Relying on notepad or other M$
            > stuff is risky, because these applications change too often.
            > It would be easier to maintain tests if we have one application, which
            > hosts most of controls we would like to test.

            That could be *in addition* to the tests against notepad and co.
            I belive for real good tests we should also use real and changing
            targets.
            Usually I like to have two kinds of tests:
            one with data that I control - the application you suggest
            one with data from the wilde - the kind we have now

            > -Piotr
            >
            > PS: By the way - do all tests from the most recent release pass on
            > your PCs? I have 4 of them failing.

            It's hard to tell as my pc is running Linux :)

            ..but when I work on Windows stuff I open one in VMware.
            I just don't have time for that right now. Sorry.

            BTW I started to make a change (or did I just think about doing it ?)
            so that the unit tests will be included in the ppm distribution as well,
            or will be downloadable separately so even people who don't have a
            compiler and use the prebuilt version (either from Dennis or from
            ActiveState) will also be able to run the tests and help improve the
            code.

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 14, 2005
              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, Gabor Szabo <gabor@p...> wrote:
              > On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, pkaluski wrote:
              >
              > > Hi,
              > > I think we should consider creating an application, which would
              be a
              > > target for Win32::GuiTest unit tests. Relying on notepad or other
              M$
              > > stuff is risky, because these applications change too often.
              > > It would be easier to maintain tests if we have one application,
              which
              > > hosts most of controls we would like to test.
              >
              > That could be *in addition* to the tests against notepad and co.
              > I belive for real good tests we should also use real and changing
              > targets.
              > Usually I like to have two kinds of tests:
              > one with data that I control - the application you suggest
              > one with data from the wilde - the kind we have now

              I tend to disagree with you.
              IMHO, testing against special test application should not be an
              addition. It should be a core, the main part of the regression test
              suite. Here are my reasons:
              1. Win32::GuiTest is controls oriented, not application oriented.
              What I mean is that is uses the notion of controls rather than
              applications. It operates on controls. Therefore it seams more
              natural to make test controls oriented, rather then application
              oriented.
              2. If our goal is to make a portable, widely used and trusted module,
              we have to create a test suite, which should pass on every system we
              declare.

              I do agree that it would be good to have tests for real applications,
              but I don't think we have resources to maintain test scripts and make
              sure that tests pass on Win2K and on WinWhatSoEver. What if notepad
              in WinWhatSoEver is redesigned and uses different set of controls?
              At current stage, I believe that creating stable, easy to run test
              suite is more important than making sure that GuiTest work for
              particular application.

              -Piotr
            • Gabor Szabo
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 14, 2005
                On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, pkaluski wrote:

                > I tend to disagree with you.
                You are welcome :)

                I think *both* should be there, that's what I usually do
                with software I am testing.

                But in any case, if you have the tuits to develop the
                application to be tested then go ahead and do it and let's
                leave it for Dennis to decide what to include in the distro.

                The more test we have the better.

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
                  Well,
                  I did not expect, that I find the example of windows version
                  inconsistency so quickly.

                  Units test made on calculator fail. This is due to the fact, that
                  calculator on win2k will write 1969 as "1969. ". On XP it will be
                  "1,969. ". There are also differences in formating binary and octal
                  numbers.

                  -Piotr

                  --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "pkaluski" <pkaluski@p...> wrote:

                  > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, Gabor Szabo <gabor@p...> wrote:
                  > > On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, pkaluski wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Hi,
                  > > > I think we should consider creating an application, which would
                  > be a
                  > > > target for Win32::GuiTest unit tests. Relying on notepad or
                  other
                  > M$
                  > > > stuff is risky, because these applications change too often.
                  > > > It would be easier to maintain tests if we have one
                  application,
                  > which
                  > > > hosts most of controls we would like to test.
                  > >
                  > > That could be *in addition* to the tests against notepad and co.
                  > > I belive for real good tests we should also use real and changing
                  > > targets.
                  > > Usually I like to have two kinds of tests:
                  > > one with data that I control - the application you suggest
                  > > one with data from the wilde - the kind we have now
                  > >

                  > I tend to disagree with you.
                  > IMHO, testing against special test application should not be an
                  > addition. It should be a core, the main part of the regression test
                  > suite. Here are my reasons:
                  > 1. Win32::GuiTest is controls oriented, not application oriented.
                  > What I mean is that is uses the notion of controls rather than
                  > applications. It operates on controls. Therefore it seams more
                  > natural to make test controls oriented, rather then application
                  > oriented.
                  > 2. If our goal is to make a portable, widely used and trusted
                  module,
                  > we have to create a test suite, which should pass on every system
                  we
                  > declare.
                  >
                  > I do agree that it would be good to have tests for real
                  applications,
                  > but I don't think we have resources to maintain test scripts and
                  make
                  > sure that tests pass on Win2K and on WinWhatSoEver. What if notepad
                  > in WinWhatSoEver is redesigned and uses different set of controls?
                  > At current stage, I believe that creating stable, easy to run test
                  > suite is more important than making sure that GuiTest work for
                  > particular application.
                  >
                  > -Piotr
                • Gabor Szabo
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 18, 2005
                    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, pkaluski wrote:

                    > Well,
                    > I did not expect, that I find the example of windows version
                    > inconsistency so quickly.
                    >
                    > Units test made on calculator fail. This is due to the fact, that
                    > calculator on win2k will write 1969 as "1969. ". On XP it will be
                    > "1,969. ". There are also differences in formating binary and octal
                    > numbers.

                    Is this difference due to a change in the application itself or is
                    it because of a change in an underlying control that might be used
                    by other applications as well ?

                    I would add a conditional to the test checking the version
                    of Windows and based on that decide what is the expected string.