getting contents of lists (GetListContents)

  • duaneg40
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
      Do anyone have an example of how to use GetListContents. I can
      not seem to get it to work. I have tried building a simple
      example based on Notepad, and that does not work either.

      Here is my example:
      use strict;
      use IO::File;
      autoflush STDOUT 1;
      use Win32::GuiTest qw(FindWindowLike SendKeys);

      if (1==1){
      my @windows = FindWindowLike(0,"- Notepad",0);
      my $wind_cnt = @windows;
      (@windows == 1) or die "Notebook not/multiple active
      (cnt=$wind_cnt)\n ";
      my $top_win = $windows[0];

      (Win32::GuiTest::SetForegroundWindow($top_win)) or die;
      SendKeys("%FO"); ## open up file menu
      sleep(1);
      my @wind2 = FindWindowLike(0,"Open","327");
      (@wind2==1) or die "cnt=".@wind2."\n ";
      my @wind3 = FindWindowLike($wind2[0],0,"SysList");
      (@wind3==1) or die;
      my $LB_GETCOUNT = 395;
      ## this returns Zero -->should be 2
      my $cnt = Win32::GuiTest::SendMessage($wind3[0],$LB_GETCOUNT,0,0);
      my @list1 = Win32::GuiTest::GetListContents($wind3[0]);
      my $text1 = join(";",@list1);
      print "Test1='$text1' ".@list1." [$cnt]\n";
      exit(0);
      }

      The program prints: Test='' 0 [0]
      I would expect: Test='My eBooks;My Pictures' 2 2

      Any ideas??
      Thanks,
      Duane
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
        The control you'd be working with should be a SysListView32 control;
        and GetListContents only works on list boxes... You'll want to use
        the GetListViewContents function from the CVS build of Win32-
        GuiTest; which is available at
        http://sourceforge.net/projects/winguitest....

        P.S. To everyone: How is the CVS build working?

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "duaneg40" <duaneg40@y...> wrote:

        > Do anyone have an example of how to use GetListContents. I can
        > not seem to get it to work. I have tried building a simple
        > example based on Notepad, and that does not work either.
        >
        > Here is my example:
        > use strict;
        > use IO::File;
        > autoflush STDOUT 1;
        > use Win32::GuiTest qw(FindWindowLike SendKeys);
        >
        > if (1==1){
        > my @windows = FindWindowLike(0,"- Notepad",0);
        > my $wind_cnt = @windows;
        > (@windows == 1) or die "Notebook not/multiple active
        > (cnt=$wind_cnt)\n ";
        > my $top_win = $windows[0];
        >
        > (Win32::GuiTest::SetForegroundWindow($top_win)) or die;
        > SendKeys("%FO"); ## open up file menu
        > sleep(1);
        > my @wind2 = FindWindowLike(0,"Open","327");
        > (@wind2==1) or die "cnt=".@wind2."\n ";
        > my @wind3 = FindWindowLike($wind2[0],0,"SysList");
        > (@wind3==1) or die;
        > my $LB_GETCOUNT = 395;
        > ## this returns Zero -->should be 2
        > my $cnt = Win32::GuiTest::SendMessage($wind3
        [0],$LB_GETCOUNT,0,0);
        > my @list1 = Win32::GuiTest::GetListContents($wind3[0]);
        > my $text1 = join(";",@list1);
        > print "Test1='$text1' ".@list1." [$cnt]\n";
        > exit(0);
        > }
        >
        > The program prints: Test='' 0 [0]
        > I would expect: Test='My eBooks;My Pictures' 2 2
        >
        > Any ideas??
        > Thanks,
        > Duane
      • duaneg40
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2005
          Dennis,
          Thanks for the response.
          1) The FindWindowLike() call I used returns a SysListView32
          window class (the regular expression is just a little shorter
          than the full name), so I seem to be using the correct window class.
          2) There doesn't seem to be a GetListViewContents in the 1.5-ad
          build (I am already using running under ActivePerl) ... The
          new DibSect class is awesome though ...
          bash-2.05$ grep GetListViewContents *
          bash-2.05$ grep GetListContents *
          changes: - Added GetComboText, GetComboContents, GetListText and
          GetListContents
          guitest.pm: GetForegroundWindow GetListContents GetListText
          GetMenu GetParent
          guitest.pm:=item @lst = GetListContents(hWnd)
          guitest.xs:GetListContents(hWnd)
          readme: @lst = GetListContents(hWnd)
          bash-2.05$
          3) I looked at the Windows documentation:
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shell
          cc/platform/commctls/listboxes/aboutlistboxes.asp
          and the code in the release, and it all looks good to me. I have
          a SendMessage() call in my example code to see if I can return the
          correct list length, and that returns "0", so it makes so sense that
          the list returned in empty. However, on the screen it seems apparent
          that the list has two elements ... I am at a loss as what
          to try next ... Even the simple SendMessage() test case seems
          to fail ... There are no examples of SendMessage() in the
          release "eg/" directory ... It would be great to have just
          one small example as a test case.

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2005
            SysListView32 is a full-fledged 32bit control; which is affected by
            process boundary restrictions, so various SendMessage calls will not
            work as is... In the CVS build of Win32::GUITest exists a
            GetListViewContents function; which you will want to use with that
            control. GetListContents will not work and SendMessage calls will
            not work as is, without additional work (injection,hooking)... The
            CVS (beta) build is at SourceForge.... I'll try and get a release
            together soon.

          • duaneg40
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 3, 2005
              I have installed the new release (it was great to see treeView
              support in there as well) and tried the new
              GetListViewContest function. It returns a list of
              two elements (perfect), but each element in the list
              seems to be a zero length string (seems wrong). Here is my example:

              my @windows = FindWindowLike(0,"- Notepad",0);
              my $wind_cnt = @windows;
              (@windows == 1) or die "Notebook not/multiple active
              (cnt=$wind_cnt)\n ";
              my $top_win = $windows[0];

              (Win32::GuiTest::SetForegroundWindow($top_win)) or die;
              SendKeys("%FO"); ## open up file menu
              sleep(1);
              my @wind2 = FindWindowLike(0,"Open","327"); ## "open" dialog at
              top-level
              (@wind2==1) or die "cnt=".@wind2."\n ";
              my @wind3 = FindWindowLike($wind2[0],0,"SysListView32");
              (@wind3==1) or die;
              my @list1 = Win32::GuiTest::GetListViewContents($wind3[0]);
              my $text1 = join(';',@list1);
              print "Test1='$text1' [".@list1."] [".length($list1[0])."]\n";
              exit(0);

              Any ideas? (I am running ActivePerl under win98). Thanks in
              advance for the help.

              <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:

              > SysListView32 is a full-fledged 32bit control; which is affected by
              > process boundary restrictions, so various SendMessage calls will not
              > work as is... In the CVS build of Win32::GUITest exists a
              > GetListViewContents function; which you will want to use with that
              > control. GetListContents will not work and SendMessage calls will
              > not work as is, without additional work (injection,hooking)... The
              > CVS (beta) build is at SourceForge.... I'll try and get a release
              > together soon.

              > > Dennis,
              > > Thanks for the response.
              > > 1) The FindWindowLike() call I used returns a SysListView32
              > > window class (the regular expression is just a little shorter
              > > than the full name), so I seem to be using the correct window
              > class.
              > > 2) There doesn't seem to be a GetListViewContents in the 1.5-ad
              > > build (I am already using running under ActivePerl) ... The
              > > new DibSect class is awesome though ...
              > > bash-2.05$ grep GetListViewContents *
              > > bash-2.05$ grep GetListContents *
              > > changes: - Added GetComboText, GetComboContents, GetListText
              > and
              > > GetListContents
              > > guitest.pm: GetForegroundWindow GetListContents GetListText
              > > GetMenu GetParent
              > > guitest.pm:=item @lst = GetListContents(hWnd)
              > > guitest.xs:GetListContents(hWnd)
              > > readme: @lst = GetListContents(hWnd)
              > > bash-2.05$
              > > 3) I looked at the Windows documentation:
              > > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
              > us/shell
              > > cc/platform/commctls/listboxes/aboutlistboxes.asp
              > > and the code in the release, and it all looks good to me. I have
              > > a SendMessage() call in my example code to see if I can return the
              > > correct list length, and that returns "0", so it makes so sense
              > that
              > > the list returned in empty. However, on the screen it seems
              > apparent
              > > that the list has two elements ... I am at a loss as what
              > > to try next ... Even the simple SendMessage() test case seems
              > > to fail ... There are no examples of SendMessage() in the
              > > release "eg/" directory ... It would be great to have just
              > > one small example as a test case.
              > >

              > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis K. Paulsen"
              > > <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > The control you'd be working with should be a SysListView32
              > > control;
              > > > and GetListContents only works on list boxes... You'll want to
              > use
              > > > the GetListViewContents function from the CVS build of Win32-
              > > > GuiTest; which is available at
              > > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/winguitest....
              > > >
              > > > P.S. To everyone: How is the CVS build working?
              > > >

              > > > Regards,
              > > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "duaneg40" <duaneg40@y...>

              > > > [0],$LB_GETCOUNT,0,0);

            • rafelafrance
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
                I'm having the same problem. That is the GetListViewContents()
                function is returning a list of empty stings. The only thing I have
                to add is that it seems that HookProc() is never getting called.

                I ran a simple test where I change the *.xs module to put hard coded
                values into the g_szBuffer string a points around the module. It
                hits the GetLVItemText() function just fine but never the hook proc.
                Hmmm... that may not be too clear. So here are the relevant changes...

                At the top of the module I changed:

                //char g_szBuffer[MAX_DATA_BUF+1] =
                {NUL};////////////////UNCOMMENT ME/////////////
                char g_szBuffer[MAX_DATA_BUF+1]
                = "Original";///////////DELETE ME////////////////

                And hook was changed like so...

                LRESULT HookProc (int code, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
                {
                lstrcpy
                (g_szBuffer, "Hook");////////////////////////DELETE ME////////
                return CallNextHookEx(g_hHook, code, wParam,
                lParam);///DELETE ME//
                //// List Views ////
                if (pCW->message == WM_LV_GETTEXT) {

                When I run the program, I get back all "Original"s and no "Hook"s.
                And hard coded string moves in GetLVItemText() overwrite the
                string just fine.

                The odd thing is that when I use the the module on my computer at
                home it works just fine. This stuff is all new to me so if you have
                any ideas on how to proceed with the debugging or what may be wrong
                that'd be great.

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
                  Hello,
                  I'm curious if your using Windows 9x or ME? If so, this issue
                  exists and will need to be looked at. Note: Haven't had much time
                  lately to work on this module.

                  --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "rafelafrance"

                • rafelafrance
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
                    > I'm curious if your using Windows 9x or ME? If so, this issue
                    > exists and will need to be looked at.

                    Win XP SP2 in both cases. The differneces are:

                    Home (It works)
                    Module was compiled with VC6 & I'm running ActiveState's Perl 5.8

                    At work (nothing in the strings)
                    Compiled with VC7 & we're using the Perl 5.6 that comes packaged with
                    Oracle.

                    Random idea: Maybe there's a process permission issue? Things are
                    locked down a bit more at work.

                    > Note: Haven't had much time lately to work on this module.

                    That's too bad. This is a really great module. Lightyears better than
                    the expensive stuff we've been using. Anyway, I'll keep plugging away
                    at it until it's solved or I'm forced to stop. If you have any hints
                    I'll do my best to run them down.

                    Thanks
                    rafe

                  • rafelafrance
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 11, 2005
                      I don't know what the issue was (& I don't have the privs to find
                      out) but once I got the System Manager to install ActiveState 5.8 at
                      work everything is fine.