RE: [perlguitest] No Clue :-(

  • Tinkham, Andy
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13 8:49 PM
      I've found it to be very difficult automating the apps in MS Office (though
      my experience is strictly with Rational's Robot tool for trying it -- I'm
      still learning Perl and haven't ventured into the Perl GUITest stuff, yet).
      The main cause of this difficulty as I understand it is that Office apps
      don't use "real" controls. They use painted controls which basically put a
      picture of a control on the screen without the memory usage a full
      implementation of the control would use, then know the coordinates of the
      "control" so they can act appropriately.

      You'd be much better going through the COM Automation interfaces to the
      Office apps (and I'm certain Perl can do it, though I can't point you to
      how).

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 14 8:28 AM
        Hello Andy.

        Actually all of my automation is through OLE Automation. However I have two problems.

        (1) Outlook Profiles - there's no OLE automation for Outlook profiles. If I create 600 users in exchange, how do I automate creating 600 users in Outlook?
        (2) Exchange & CDO - M$ exposes CDO, but this is so complex (estimated about a 1 weeks work). I decided to do GUI automation, and move to CDO when time is available.

        I am stuck at Outlook Profile creation at startup. I really need this to work.

        Here's the dialog from the spy utility:

        ++0x005F0046, 'Choose Profile', #32770
        +++0x00540044, 'Profile &Name:', Static
        +++0x005F0086, '', ComboBox
        ++++0x00B4014A, '', Edit
        +++0x00600072, 'Ne&w...', Button
        +++0x009B00FC, 'OK', Button
        +++0x00B3014E, 'Cancel', Button
        +++0x008C0112, '&Help', Button
        +++0x005700B8, '&Options >>', Button
        +++0x006300BC, 'Options', Button
        +++0x0137013A, 'Set as &default profile', Button
        +++0x009600A6, 'Show &Logon screens for all information services', Button
        +0x005D00CC, 'Microsoft Outlook', #32770
        ++0x00740092, '', ComboLBox
        +0x00590042, 'W', WMS Notif Engine:Dispatch Window Class
        +0x00610040, '', MsoStdCompMgr
        +0x008000E2, 'Microsoft Outlook', mspim_wnd32

        I think this stuff is automatable, as it does seem like this dialog has custome buttons and things. However, I'm not familar with Win32 API. How can I click at this stuff.