Re: [perlguitest]

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 9, 2005
      Hi Sam,
      The main reason I am interested in Win32::GuitTest is not that
      Win32::GuiTest is fully featured, stable and fast piece of software.
      First of all, it is not fully featured. It is stable (big reason to
      use it) and not that slow (what kind of timing issues did you have?).
      I am using Win32::GuiTest because:

      * It is written in perl. Perl is a mature well known language with a
      big community around it and tremendous, still growing set of
      extensions. I am assuming that so is VBScript. But I am using perl
      for a long time (because it has a characteristic which is exotic in
      M$ world - it is trully multiplatform) so for me it is easier to
      adopt one not-that-final extension than to learn a new language.
      Also, perl supports unix phylosophy of building solutions from
      smaller (mostly text oriented) blocks.

      * It is open source, which as for me has serious implications. I have
      written an article on why do I prefer open source tools -
      http://www.piotrkaluski.com/writings/OS_bias.html.
      In short - when I go into perl I do not risk that I wake up one day
      and find out that the licensing scheme has changed "to better respond
      to customers' needs" so I have to pay 10 times more for the license
      and necessary upgrades.
      And I also believe that Open Source model is more likely to deliver
      stable, robust code than closed source teams.
      Currently VBScript may be superior to Win32::GuiTest in the domain of
      manipulating windows controls. But Win32::GuiTest is a young module.
      Every piece of software needs some time to become mature. It may
      always be a little bit behind VB in handling newest controls, but I
      think perl Win32 modules provide enough mechanisms to work around
      most of problems.

      -Piotr

      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, Sam Sudhakar <sush_1205@y...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Dennis,
      >
      > I have used both perl and VBScript/COM...for testing .
      > And I personally believe that for windows GUI testing there is
      nothing better than VBScript/COM...U just have to write a custom
      component using Visual Basic which can give access to all the GUI
      Win32API's and there u go u can use this in ur VBScript code to give
      absolute control over all the windows and user interaction to those
      windows....and the whole thing is pretty simple...the only thing u
      gotta do is some research on the different win32 APIs...
      > When I used perl Win32 i faced a lot of timing issues plus ofcourse
      I had to patch the win32 module as it didnt work with perl 5.8 and
      cygwin.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 26, 2005
        I have a question.
        When you automate tests of OLE enabled applications then you can do
        it using Win32::OLE.
        And what do you do when you want to automate testing applications,
        which are not OLE servers but host some Activex controls (ocx).
        How can they be handled by Perl (apart from FindWindowLike and
        SendKeys)? How can you deal with such controls using Visual Basic?

        wrote:

        > Hi Dennis,
        >
        > I have used both perl and VBScript/COM...for testing .
        > And I personally believe that for windows GUI testing there is
        nothing better than VBScript/COM...U just have to write a custom
        component using Visual Basic which can give access to all the GUI
        Win32API's and there u go u can use this in ur VBScript code to give
        absolute control over all the windows and user interaction to those
        windows....and the whole thing is pretty simple...the only thing u
        gotta do is some research on the different win32 APIs...
        > When I used perl Win32 i faced a lot of timing issues plus ofcourse
        I had to patch the win32 module as it didnt work with perl 5.8 and
        cygwin.
        > By the way does anybody know if that problem is fixed yet ...

      • Steven Swenson
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
          Kind of a follow on question...

          I tried win32::gui::AxWindow ... but it seems to try
          to open internet explorer regardless of the program
          app and/or clsid used to create the activex control.

          Anyone else have this problem or a solution to it?

          --Steven

          wrote:

          > Hi Dennis,
          >
          > I have used both perl and VBScript/COM...for testing
          .
          > And I personally believe that for windows GUI
          testing there is
          nothing better than VBScript/COM...U just have to
          write a custom
          component using Visual Basic which can give access to
          all the GUI
          Win32API's and there u go u can use this in ur
          VBScript code to give
          absolute control over all the windows and user
          interaction to those
          windows....and the whole thing is pretty simple...the
          only thing u
          gotta do is some research on the different win32
          APIs...
          > When I used perl Win32 i faced a lot of timing
          issues plus ofcourse
          I had to patch the win32 module as it didnt work with
          perl 5.8 and
          cygwin.
          > By the way does anybody know if that problem is
          fixed yet ...

          Terms of Service.