RE: [perlguitest] How to click on toolbar's buttons?

  • Wenjie Wang
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 9, 2005
      I've done something similar like following and it's simple and works fine with me:

      my $myToolbar = GetDNACallModeToolbar();

      if ($myToolbar)

      {

      PushChildButton($myToolbar, 1280, 0.3);

      }

      Ofcourse I'm testing my own GUI written in MFC and I have knowledge of all the control IDs. But you could always use spy++ to find out resource ID of toolbar button.

      Coleman Tom <tom.coleman@...> wrote:

      I look forward to hearing of a "true" solution, where you can detect a
      toolbar by it's title, then select a button by it's id or tool tip, and get
      the button enable state from some api. But I don't know of such clever
      things, so...

      I use a work around, there are a few below.
      best of luck,
      tom

      Work arounds for interacting with the toolbar:

      - use the menu,
      most applications have menu items that duplicate the functionality
      of toolbar buttons. If they do not gently invite them to read a book on
      software usability, such as _The Inmates are Running the Asylum_.

      - use the menu hot key,
      many menu items have a hot key associated...
      Ctrl + S = save
      if the feature needs to be tested sometimes the program can be
      modified to make the feature more easily accessible.

      - use the keyboard to navigate the menu...
      Alt + F, S = save

      - use the keyboard to navigate to the toolbar...
      1. Alt = get to the menu
      2. Ctrl + Tab = get to the next toolbar
      3. arrow keys = move the toolbar button of interest
      4. enter = select the toolbar button

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 9, 2005
        can you let me know where can I find the resource ID of a button in a
        toolbar using spy ++ ?
        I could not find it.

        Thanks,
        Ofer.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 10, 2005
          I don't think it's possible with Spy++. I would try using Visual
          Studio. Try to open executable file as a resource file.
          BTW, why do you need a resource id of a button?
          -Piotr

          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Ofer Ben-Yacov" <oferb@1...>

          > can you let me know where can I find the resource ID of a button in
          > toolbar using spy ++ ?
          > I could not find it.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Ofer.

          Service.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 10, 2005
            Hmm...
            To be honest I am a little bit surprised that it really worked for
            you. Could you please provide me with more details:
            1. What type of control is it (this toolbar). Is it a common windows
            control?
            2. How many buttons does it have?
            3. How do you select which button to push?

            -Piotr

            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, Wenjie Wang <wiseagent2000@y...>

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 10, 2005
              1. launch your app and then launch spy++
              2. clicking on "find" toolbar button, using "find tool" and drop the cursor to the control you're going to inspect; or find the window in whatever way you prefer
              3. double click on the window entry in the left hand side navigational treel view to bring up "window property" for the window
              4. Under "general" tab, there is an item named "Control ID" which is the hex value of your control ID. when using the value in perl, prefix it with "0x", or convert it to decimal.

              Regards,
              W Wang

              +-Wenjie Wang a.k.a William -------------------------------------+
              | WANG Infonology Systems |EMail : wwang@... |
              | Phone : (02) 9871 2018 | WISeAgent2000@... |
              | Mobile: 0412 688 380 |http://users.bigpond.net.au/WISeAgent |
              +-------------------------+--------------------------------------+

              Hi,

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 10, 2005
                I'm using function
                Win32::Guitest::PushChildButton($ParentWnd, $BtnID, $delay);

                In my case, there are moer then one button have the same window title and I have to use control ID to distinguish between them;-)

                btw, spy++ will provide teh hex value of resource ID of your control as "control ID" in the "window properties" popup under "general" tab.

                Cheers,
                WWang

                +-Wenjie Wang a.k.a William -------------------------------------+
                | WANG Infonology Systems |EMail : wwang@... |
                | Phone : (02) 9871 2018 | WISeAgent2000@... |
                | Mobile: 0412 688 380 |http://users.bigpond.net.au/WISeAgent |
                +-------------------------+--------------------------------------+

                Hi,

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 10, 2005
                  The toolbar itself is dialog based class "#32770 (Dialog)" with button, combo and other controls. The toolbar is attached to window's rebar.

                  It has more than one buttons in the toolbar, and that's why I need to use control ID of the button to distinguish between them.

                  Again, control ID of the button control is used when calling PushChildButton function.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 11, 2005
                    This is a summary response to your last 3 posts (702-704).

                    You are right. I have also observed that for basic controls like
                    Edits, ComboBoxes etc. resource ID is equal to control ID. However,
                    this is only an observation. I haven't found any document saying that
                    control id = resource id (if anyone can confirm/deny, please do it).
                    From the other hand I have seen controls defined by CONTROL command
                    in rc file, which had resource ID != 0 and control ID = 0. You can
                    try with VC++. Create a project with application hosting an
                    Activex control. You will see the control will have Control ID = 0,
                    in the same time having resource id != 0.

                    As for handling a toolbar. According to your description you are not
                    dealing with the standard toolbar, like ToolbarWindow32 (used in
                    Spy++, for example). You deal with a custom made toolbar, which
                    is actually a dialog box with button controls on it. For such a case
                    you are right - it works and you can select buttons by control ID.
                    However, it is not going to work for standart toolbars (present in
                    Spy++ or in basic MFC applications created by AppWizard). As you can
                    see, there are no children of such a toolbar control. The standard
                    control toolbar works this way - you pass it a set of bitmaps which
                    should appears as buttons. Toolbar control is resposible for
                    notifying you, which button was clicked (when you click on it). You
                    can check the link http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?
                    url=/library/en-
                    us/shellcc/platform/commctls/toolbar/toolbar_overview.asp.
                    You can also check Jeff's Prosize "Programming Windows with MFC (2nd
                    edition)", chapter 12.

                    wrote:

                    > The toolbar itself is dialog based class "#32770 (Dialog)" with
                    button, combo and other controls. The toolbar is attached to
                    window's rebar.

                    > It has more than one buttons in the toolbar, and that's why I need
                    to use control ID of the button to distinguish between them.

                    > Again, control ID of the button control is used when calling
                    PushChildButton function.
                  • wenjie wang
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 11, 2005
                      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "pkaluski" <pkaluski@p...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      > This is a summary response to your last 3 posts (702-704).
                      >
                      > You are right. I have also observed that for basic controls like
                      > Edits, ComboBoxes etc. resource ID is equal to control ID.
                      However,
                      > this is only an observation. I haven't found any document saying
                      that
                      > control id = resource id (if anyone can confirm/deny, please do
                      it).
                      > From the other hand I have seen controls defined by CONTROL
                      command
                      > in rc file, which had resource ID != 0 and control ID = 0. You can
                      > try with VC++. Create a project with application hosting an
                      > Activex control. You will see the control will have Control ID =
                      0,
                      > in the same time having resource id != 0.
                      >
                      > As for handling a toolbar. According to your description you are
                      not
                      > dealing with the standard toolbar, like ToolbarWindow32 (used in
                      > Spy++, for example). You deal with a custom made toolbar, which
                      > is actually a dialog box with button controls on it. For such a
                      case
                      > you are right - it works and you can select buttons by control ID.
                      > However, it is not going to work for standart toolbars (present in
                      > Spy++ or in basic MFC applications created by AppWizard). As you
                      can
                      > see, there are no children of such a toolbar control. The standard
                      > control toolbar works this way - you pass it a set of bitmaps
                      which
                      > should appears as buttons. Toolbar control is resposible for
                      > notifying you, which button was clicked (when you click on it).
                      You
                      > can check the link http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?
                      > url=/library/en-
                      > us/shellcc/platform/commctls/toolbar/toolbar_overview.asp.
                      > You can also check Jeff's Prosize "Programming Windows with MFC
                      (2nd
                      > edition)", chapter 12.

                      Thanks for the summary. It has presented a better picture of our
                      discussion.

                      As far as GUI concern, I'm mainly using win32 API / MFC / ATL. I'm
                      using PERL for other purpose. It happened that I have to perform
                      automated GUI manipulation in one of my new project and GuiTest
                      module is picked for the project. I haven't spent much time
                      investigating it futher till I read your comments in your web site.
                      and then dive into guitest.pm;-)

                      Luckily, what I've done so far is valid and works fine for my
                      project.