Re: [perlguitest] Re: Documentation regarding these functions

  • Wenjie Wang
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 9, 2005
      Thanks for the info and that also confirmed my guess;) I was planing to try it out on a known application to confirm it.

      Regards,
      W Wang
      +-Wenjie Wang a.k.a William -------------------------------------+
      | WANG Infonology Systems |EMail : wwang@... |
      | Phone : (02) 9871 2018 | WISeAgent2000@... |
      | Mobile: 0412 688 380 |http://users.bigpond.net.au/WISeAgent |
      +-------------------------+--------------------------------------+

      "Dennis K. Paulsen" <ctrondlpaulsden@...> wrote:

      GetForegroundWindow will tell you if a given window is in the
      foreground... To determine which child window of a parent has the
      input focus, you can use GetFocus($parent) from Win32::GuiTest...
      To do the same thing correctly with Win32::API would require two
      calls to AttachWin per MSDN.

      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "wenjie wang"
      <wiseagent2000@y...> wrote:

      > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis K. Paulsen"
      > <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello,
      > > If documentation is not found in the README, most certainly
      you'll
      > > find them documentated at http://msdn.microsoft.com :-)
      > >

      > That's what I thought till I encountered a compile error with
      > function GetFocus();
      >
      > Win32 API has the signature of
      > HWND GetFocus(void);
      > while win32::guitest is expecting:
      > HWND GetFocus(HWND);
      >
      > Now, my question is that how to obtain the window handle of
      > currently focused window?
      >
      > Regards,
      > W Wang
      > +-Wenjie Wang a.k.a William -------------------------------------+
      > | WANG Infonology Systems |EMail : wwang@b... |
      > | Phone : (02) 9871 2018 | WISeAgent2000@y... |
      > | Mobile: 0412 688 380 |http://users.bigpond.net.au/WISeAgent |
      > +-------------------------+--------------------------------------+

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Wenjie Wang(a.k.a. William) wwang@...
      WANG Infonology Systems Ph: (02)-98712018 Mobile: 0412688380
      http://users.bigpond.net.au/WISeAgent http://www.websamba.com/wiseagent
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 9, 2005
        Hi Sam,
        The main reason I am interested in Win32::GuitTest is not that
        Win32::GuiTest is fully featured, stable and fast piece of software.
        First of all, it is not fully featured. It is stable (big reason to
        use it) and not that slow (what kind of timing issues did you have?).
        I am using Win32::GuiTest because:

        * It is written in perl. Perl is a mature well known language with a
        big community around it and tremendous, still growing set of
        extensions. I am assuming that so is VBScript. But I am using perl
        for a long time (because it has a characteristic which is exotic in
        M$ world - it is trully multiplatform) so for me it is easier to
        adopt one not-that-final extension than to learn a new language.
        Also, perl supports unix phylosophy of building solutions from
        smaller (mostly text oriented) blocks.

        * It is open source, which as for me has serious implications. I have
        written an article on why do I prefer open source tools -
        http://www.piotrkaluski.com/writings/OS_bias.html.
        In short - when I go into perl I do not risk that I wake up one day
        and find out that the licensing scheme has changed "to better respond
        to customers' needs" so I have to pay 10 times more for the license
        and necessary upgrades.
        And I also believe that Open Source model is more likely to deliver
        stable, robust code than closed source teams.
        Currently VBScript may be superior to Win32::GuiTest in the domain of
        manipulating windows controls. But Win32::GuiTest is a young module.
        Every piece of software needs some time to become mature. It may
        always be a little bit behind VB in handling newest controls, but I
        think perl Win32 modules provide enough mechanisms to work around
        most of problems.

        -Piotr

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, Sam Sudhakar <sush_1205@y...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Dennis,
        >
        > I have used both perl and VBScript/COM...for testing .
        > And I personally believe that for windows GUI testing there is
        nothing better than VBScript/COM...U just have to write a custom
        component using Visual Basic which can give access to all the GUI
        Win32API's and there u go u can use this in ur VBScript code to give
        absolute control over all the windows and user interaction to those
        windows....and the whole thing is pretty simple...the only thing u
        gotta do is some research on the different win32 APIs...
        > When I used perl Win32 i faced a lot of timing issues plus ofcourse
        I had to patch the win32 module as it didnt work with perl 5.8 and
        cygwin.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 26, 2005
          I have a question.
          When you automate tests of OLE enabled applications then you can do
          it using Win32::OLE.
          And what do you do when you want to automate testing applications,
          which are not OLE servers but host some Activex controls (ocx).
          How can they be handled by Perl (apart from FindWindowLike and
          SendKeys)? How can you deal with such controls using Visual Basic?

          wrote:

          > Hi Dennis,
          >
          > I have used both perl and VBScript/COM...for testing .
          > And I personally believe that for windows GUI testing there is
          nothing better than VBScript/COM...U just have to write a custom
          component using Visual Basic which can give access to all the GUI
          Win32API's and there u go u can use this in ur VBScript code to give
          absolute control over all the windows and user interaction to those
          windows....and the whole thing is pretty simple...the only thing u
          gotta do is some research on the different win32 APIs...
          > When I used perl Win32 i faced a lot of timing issues plus ofcourse
          I had to patch the win32 module as it didnt work with perl 5.8 and
          cygwin.
          > By the way does anybody know if that problem is fixed yet ...

        • Steven Swenson
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
            Kind of a follow on question...

            I tried win32::gui::AxWindow ... but it seems to try
            to open internet explorer regardless of the program
            app and/or clsid used to create the activex control.

            Anyone else have this problem or a solution to it?

            --Steven

            wrote:

            > Hi Dennis,
            >
            > I have used both perl and VBScript/COM...for testing
            .
            > And I personally believe that for windows GUI
            testing there is
            nothing better than VBScript/COM...U just have to
            write a custom
            component using Visual Basic which can give access to
            all the GUI
            Win32API's and there u go u can use this in ur
            VBScript code to give
            absolute control over all the windows and user
            interaction to those
            windows....and the whole thing is pretty simple...the
            only thing u
            gotta do is some research on the different win32
            APIs...
            > When I used perl Win32 i faced a lot of timing
            issues plus ofcourse
            I had to patch the win32 module as it didnt work with
            perl 5.8 and
            cygwin.
            > By the way does anybody know if that problem is
            fixed yet ...

            Terms of Service.